Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship (Sam Maguire Cup)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Fine for you to have an opinion that Kerry will win with ease but someone that thinks that Dublin will are of course, smoking something or having an epic dream.

I fail to see why their opinions are so far fetched.

Kerry v Mayo - what way did that go?

Kerry v Cork - Blessed and rather lucky to get over the line in fairness.

Kerry v Derry - again, rather lucky there too I think, Derry lost that game more than Kerry won it could be argued.

Kerry are very beatable I think. Clifford will have to bring his A game or they won't win. Dublin for me by 3 or 4 points - I think their bench will win it for them in the second half. If it's close with 15 to go, I very much doubt that Dublin will flounder like Derry, more like put more pressure on.

Either way, I hope it's the game we are all looking forward to. I hope the weather behaves also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭Gael85

Dublin haven't beaten kerry in 4 years. D2 football and untested championship campaign leaves Dublin very vulnerable . Clifford and Geaney(always plays well against Dublin) could cause Dublin FB line trouble with the high ball. Kilkenny and Bugler(if fit) will need to start for Dublin. Con marked by the inform Jason Foley who is 33/1 for MOTM. Costello, Basquel, Bugler and P.Small need to step up when on pitch. They not young lads anymore.

Geaney and Moynihan usually play well against Dublin and Jack Barry always nullifies Fenton and Diarmuid O'Connor is the in form midfielder of the championship.

Bar Con the lads back are past their prime. Con has no goals in his 9 championship/league games in Croke Park this year which must a first for him.

If kerry scored the penalty it would of been a hammering. The main issues last year in kerry game was set up of our defence, we were all over the shop in first half. Hopefully we have learned from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭leath_dub

If you mean Jack Barry spends his time wrestlibg Fenton (and any other midfielder) I agree. As a footballer, not fit to lace Fenton's boots. Take a look at Murchan's goal.in 2019 - Barry grabs both Dublin midfielders alllowing David Moran to jump for the ball unopposed. For some inexplicable reason Moran palmed the ball to the Na Fianna speedster znd the rest is history

I hope David Gough is wise to Barry's shenanigans today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Has David Gough not lived and worked in Dublin for a large number of years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Registered Users Posts: 15,103 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Of course he has

He also happens to be the best referee in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Hopefully Gough will be looking for the off the ball stuff around the middle in same way keeping an eye on Clifford.

• Advertisement

If the referee had been living and working in Kerry, I'd be asking the same question. He works alongside current and former Dublin players doesn't he? I'm not saying he's going to be biased, it's just that any dodgy decision will receive a higher level of scrutiny because of where he lives and works. Probably better to avoid any of that by appointing a ref living in a neutral county.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,127 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Didn't Gough send Jonny Cooper off after 20 mins and gave Kerry a penalty and this place was full of Dublin fans giving out about him the last time he reffed these two, I don't think there's much to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,817 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Once you know that he is not biased, it doesn't matter about the other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 CantonasCat2

Have seen this ‘presale’ onTM since about 9pm last night. Showing limited availability now; (i.e. none). Wondering what the ‘presale’ bit meant? Not a sign of a ticket anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Trampas

Thats right all the Dublin players over the years work in the same place. I heard they all do their grocery shopping in the same place and Dessie scans all the shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Ya. I'd have Kerry by 5 or more. Way too much pace for the Dublin set-up. Someone mentioned that Dublin midfield is better. I don't agree with that at all. Brian Fenton played one good 20 mins of football in the full year. Other than that, he was mainly influential. James McCarthy is a fine player but against Kerry he won't be given the freedom to drive forward uncontested like he did against Mayo and at times against Monaghan. There is a point thrown out there that the Kerry backs are weak. I don't see that at all. Can anyone pick a full back that is better than Jason Foley. Graham O'Sullivan is having a very good season. Tom O'Sullivan is a good man-marker. Gavin White is dangerous, and a good defender. Tadgh Morley doesn't get up to too much alright, but he is still a strong defender. If anything, other than Paudi Clifford, I would have their half-forward line as vulnerable. Not great ballers there. Dublin will target Paudi to try to stop him hitting in the floating ball to the brother. They won't be too concerned about Dara Moynihan or Stephen O'Brien, as neither are good distributors - both put the head down and drive towards goal.

So he doesn't work in DCU with former and current Dublin players?

That doesn't matter once you know he is not biased.

Of course it does. If there's a dodgy call, people will be calling that out. That risk shouldn't have been taken. For Gough's sake more than anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,407 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

On starting teams Kerry are favourites they would be looking for a strong first 20 minutes get a good lead for half time.

For the last 20 minutes though I think Dublin will have the stronger team on the pitch, if Dessie holds back the old guard in reserve.

It all depends on those two 20 minute periods can Dublin keep Kerry quiet in that first 20 minutes?

Will Kerry have a strong enough lead and be able to close Dublin down in last 20 minutes?

--

Personally I am not nervous at all as a Dublin supporter, this is WELL beyond bonus territory as far as I am concerned this year. In contrast to 10 years ago when I was in bits in the 2013 AISF it was really important that Dublin won that one to push on from 2011 and prove they were not just a one off and then the final v Mayo. I had a big bet on Dublin to win Sam that year.

But now lads have nothing left to prove really. They have been there done that. It would just be a cherry on top though for the older lads to finish, with a victory against Kerry before they hang up their boots for good.

The thought that amuses me is that if Dublin win - in Pub Quiz's in Kerry they will have to learn the names - McCarthy, Fitzsimons, Cluxton in answer to the the 9 AI's question....😉

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,278 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Wet day today will suit a bigger stronger team. Lot of rain going to come down during the match.

It will slow the ball down and suit Dublin. While the bookies have Kerry as favourites all the analysts have Dublin as the winner. Wet day suits them

Slava Ukrainii

What do you mean by dodgy call? There is no rule about dodgy call in the rule book.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭Trampas

How many people work in dcu? You swear he is related to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Magic Midget

Has the Dublin average age been done up? If they win they'll surely be the oldest ever, due in no small part to Cluxton.

Off the top of my head:

Cluxton 41, Fitzsimons 35, James Small 30, McCarthy 33, Fenton 30, Mannion 30, Kilkenny 30, Jack Mac 30, Dean Rock if comes on 33 or so.

Kerry 1986 were an old team but I don't think as old as Dublin. Timmy Dowd was 23 or so, Tom Spillane 26 and a few others brought the average age down. The five 8 All Ireland men were roughly: Paidi 31, Pat Spillane 30, Mike Sheehy 32, Ger Power 35 and Ogie 31 approx.

I'd love the 2 teams compared properly stats wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,407 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

That is what Jack O'Connor said (as minor manager) when giving comment on the seniors back in 2015.

Does it not rain in Kerry at all or what? Never played a game of ball in the rain? 😀

Is altitude at thing as well where is the higher altitude? Those Kerry lads have lungs like those Kenyan runners I heard!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Why are you strawmaning? He's the GAA education and development officer in DCU. He lives in Dublin. This will be brought up if he makes 50/50 calls in Dublin's favour in today's match. That may be unfair but that's the position Gough has been put in by the GAA appointing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Magic Midget

Colm O'Rourke said on several occasions that if no wind the most skillful team will win on a rainy day. I remember one occasion he made the pronouncement was before Meath v Dublin Leinster final 1996. Meath won by 2 points.

Make what you will of his statement! Even trying to figure out which of Dublin or Kerry are the most skillful!! The game has changed so much the statement really seems from another age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,852 ✭✭✭acequion

That's just pure pessimism and nonsense really 🙄 Remember Kerry versus Galway in a tropical deluge in 2008? A wet day isn't nice and makes for slippery conditions for all players but should be no obstacle to fit young lads and won't be the winning or losing of the game.

Advertisement