Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Big changes to Bus Network

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭TranslatorPS

Much like the idea of feeder routes didn't have people happy during BC consultations, splitting the extremely successful cross-city routes again into separate one-side-only services will not only not be popular with passengers, but will also be an infrastructural distaster, with less and less space compatible for termini.

There is a reason why DB had wanted to join the 27B and 79s together into a single route.

Fun fact regarding terminus handovers: in Kraków, all handovers are scheduled at termini, and the rosters follow this. Drivers, however, often enough agree to hand over somewhere closer to the city (depending on convenience for getting from/to the depot to get their car or something), either on the trip before or after the scheduled handover, for the sake of convenience (Kraków follows the typical Polish model of breaks built into the vehicle diagrams so that they're split into two duties rather than the Western European model of multiple drivers handing over every 3-5 hours).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

We do that here too, in the case of the 11s we'll meet at Clonskeagh Hospital or Sandford Road on the 44s...but don't tell Citrus_8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

The cross city routes 'worked' for Network Direct because it allowed for less vehicles/drivers with joined routes and resources to be cut and the environmental argument as rx8 mentioned of pollution. People didn't necessarily want them - ND's goal was cuts.

Now though the environmental factor of having buses littered through the city centre will never get reinstated.

In terms of reliability, connections and less curtailed routes, it'd solve a lot now. Still would need resources though...

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Switching drivers mid-route isn't popular with passengers either. Especially in a city with such variable traffic and a severe lack of bus priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭AngryLips

You're living in a parallel dimension if you think a network with routes ending in the city centre is somehow better than cross-city routes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭trellheim

There's merit if it results in a better service overall . If you consider the axis Ambassador Cinema/Rotunda -> College Green and turned all buses short of that and let the trams connect the routes then the buses dont' have to force through bottlenecks and have a much better chance of maintaining service. As it is the two modes and SPSVs are fighting each other 18 hours a day. with largely a lot of empty space in those Green line trams going across the Liffey , compared to when they get to Stephens Green going south.

(as distinct from the Red line, which is weaved in very well I think)

A

There are pros and cons. From operations perspective shorter routes are more reliable, but more expensive to keep and less attractive to the passengers. However, if it's managed well and interconnected with other types of transport, it can be very beneficial. If you have ever travelled to other European capitals, you could have seen it as a real example.

But to say they aren't good would be as wrong as your reading comprehension skills are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Polar101

Are cross-city routes really popular? Of course they can be great if you happen to be doing a trip such as Blanchardstown - UCD (39a), but most people aren't doing that. They are only needed because the city centre isn't exactly well planned for bus termini.

Definitely lots of people are using cross-city, and there shouldn't even be the question as such. Perhaps, that's not that visible when a mass of people disembark on quays, but people do go to work to industrial estates, hospitals, universities all across the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Yes, they are absolutely definitely popular. Routes like the 13, 14, 15, 16, 27 come to mind and are always busy for cross city.

If anything, I'm gonna miss the vast choice I currently have for cross city travel when it's replaced with one primary route. I'm more than happy to change though. The ease of learning the new system will be fantastic.

No-one is arguing that people don't use x-city since it came in. I'd have loved the 15 to go to DCU back in the day.

My point is that it may be worth looking if a better OVERALL service can be brought in as the chokepoints (mostly without cars, now) are not resolvable with the stroke of a pen

I hear you, but the choke points can be improved. Taxis are a major part of the issue at College Green and OCS / Parnell. Before suggesting drastic changes to bus routes, we should introduce taxi surcharges for crossing these choke points?

If people want / need a cab, that's fine but they should pay for it in fees or extra time.

I speak from experience, it's easier to take a cab into the city on a Friday night (with 2 or 3 friends) or if you're working and have a business account, you're extremely unlikely to hop on public transport, as taxis are way quicker and relatively cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Bachelors Walk is becoming a serious choke point for buses again. The recent reconfiguration of the layout on Eden Quay has seen the removal of an entire traffic lane, which is causing backup onto Bachelors Walk. Vehicles are getting stuck in the middle of O'Connell Bridge if they misjudge the traffic flow due to the traffic light sequencing. The bus lane on Bachelors Walk is continually abused by impatient motorists chancing their arm because of the slow progress of traffic.

All this during the supposed quieter time with schools off for the summer and many away on holidays. September should be an eye-opener.

Why cars still use the quays is beyond me. It's my quickest way (as the crow flies) when I'm in the car but I avoid it like the plague and it's definitely quicker using other routes.

It's time people realised Dublin is a big city and not a wee town anymore. Get your car out.

ah lads if we are talking taxi surcharges its down to madness levels. I counted 11 or so buses waiting to turn left off OCS onto Parnell Sq south there on Friday ( I was on a 46a) and then we were stopped again waiting to turn right onto parnell sq. Its not tenable and has nothing to do with taxis or cars. ( By which I mean that banning either would not solve the issue) Stand at the Westin Hotel , look towards Pearse St, watch the same thing in the other direction.

We should also consider to ban non-local buses using a bus lane. If you spare an hour and watch it, you can see anyone is using it: passenger vans, hire vans, tourist couches etc. It should only be ok for those which work under the TFI logo, plus private regular intercity, international and Dublin region buses.

And CG should probably be even more narrowed down banning intercities, if they even use it. However, the problem with taxis is that they should only use a bus lane when passengers are in the vehicle, but I often see taxi drivers ignore this and use a bus lane alone. This has never been properly addressed nor strictly enforced. I'd say, some taxi drivers might not know that they mustn't use a bus lane when empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

People who drive along the quays - where are they actually going to? Is it all city centre workers and shoppers that don't have access to (reliable) public transport? I think that's going to be the biggest objection to the removal of cars, but it's a chicken and egg type thing. You can't have reliable public transport without removing traffic and people won't use public transport because it's unreliable!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Absolutely, the whole thing could be so much better if these spines still didn't maintain the "An Lár" mentality requiring all spines to go near O'Connell Bridge. The whole point of the new system and ticketing is to facilitate interchange, surely then utilising orbitals means the spines can take varied routes through the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭crushproof

Most cars I saw yesterday were from out of town and up for the hurling match. Traffic along the quays was dreadful.

• Advertisement

"surely then utilising orbitals means the spines can take varied routes through the city?" not really - we've been good at closing most of the parallel routes . Parliament St/Capel St has been locked out, trying to run up Gardiner St would mean rerouting via Westland Row/Pearse St which is where we've chucked most of the private cars northbound and trying to run that route southbound comes back to a single lane at City Quay again, so no improvement .

Jervis St/Bolton St might have been a pressure release but the dogs dinner made in the last couple of years means also not many buses want to turn left going into town, they all want to turn right at OCS . Also Church St perhaps but thats back to effectively a single lane as well and is one of the main private car arteries

Multistorey car parks is a huge problem too. They are a part of the problem. But how to get rid of them?

City centre entrance fee isn't something new in European cities, why don't we have it yet?

And any match or a concert in town should have a PT ticket included in the price. And if someone doesn't want to use it, car park fee then should be anything around 40 Euro (i.e., 10 Euro per person) for a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭VonLuck

On that subject, I mistakenly ended up in the match traffic yesterday evening and the traffic was completely at a standstill. I had completely forgotten that it was on, but the one thing that really grated me were the amount of cars that were clogging up the bus lanes trying to get out of the city. Absolutely no enforcement. Why would anyone use buses when you'd end up part of the bumper to bumper traffic jams anyways.

If the price for match would give you an included bus ticket while a car park combined with an entrance to the city centre would cost a fortune, people would reconsider. However, politicians are no different here than anywhere else and they only are looking for the majority of society's needs. But we forget that a big part of that majority are the lazy uneducated, but very angry part of our society. They protest and complain for more social housing, cheaper pint, cheaper or free parking and better social welfare payments... Politicians should ignore that group of people more often and listen more to those who think for the future, not just today or tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

if taxis are cheaper and safer, why discourage them? electric cars should be fine.

Some people need taxis and dont have a bus route that is convenient for them.

its not really fair to expect them to pay more, just because they dont have a bus route to take them home.

why are multistorey car parks a problem? if we closed them all in the city centre, there would be a serious negative effect on trade for businesses in town.

Ehhhhhhhhhhhh. How about they take a city centre bus or Luas Cross City to a convenient place to get a taxi.

Right now, those "necessary taxi journeys (?????)" clog up PT lanes and slow things down for everyone.

Another misconception peddled by car park owners. A city with fantastic public transport and pedestrian friendly will be thronged with customers.

Seriously think about what you're saying. Blocking a couple of large SUVs from parking in Arnotts or Brown Thomas is not gonna lead to the closure of any shop on Henry or Grafton Street.

get a bus to get a taxi? and what if there are no taxis at the rank when you get off the bus? get another bus back again?

its hard enough getting a taxi on a weekend night in dublin, i wouldnt want it to be made even more difficult by introducing additonal fees.

• Advertisement

Oh please! Shopping centres in the outskirts are designed for shoppers with cars. City centre shoppers should be the residents of the city centre, or use a PT. Ideally, city centre shouldn't be the place for cheap clothes shops, but only for above average, but mainly for restaurants, museums, and entertainment and shopping for something rather unusual/unique. We shouldn't go to town just for regular shopping as it should be done locally.

Advertisement