Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycle infrastructure planned for south Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'd love to hear the full story there, sounds bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Gardai would have gotten a call to deal with traffic so what I'd assume happened is that during morning "School run" the small roads in the area were crammed with Electric SUV's all trying to get past each other thus creating havoc...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Concerns expressed about the next phase of the Dodder Greenway:

“One resident, who was walking the path with his wife and friends, went so far as to express alarm at the potential for antisocial behaviour along the new route. He raised concerns about the greenway being used by “people on electric scooters to transport drugs”.”

https://www.irishtimes.com/ireland/dublin/2023/06/07/where-you-wont-even-meet-a-traffic-light-finding-a-greenway-for-cyclists-through-dublins-southside/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,285 ✭✭✭cgcsb

People must be getting dumber.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

at least the irish times journo got a faint dig in with the 'went so far as to'.

• Advertisement

Quote: "The cycle route was working fine; if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it,” she says. “I don’t think the cycling plan for Dublin has really taken into account that probably more than 30 per cent of residents are over the age of 60.”

It's precisely because the cycle route doesn't work and is of such a poor design, broken pathways, poor signage and lack of use that means we need to have an actual greenway installed..

Plus the fact that someone 60 and over can easily cycle a bike, unless there's some mystery condition only present in South Dublin residents that means they can only drive cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭Paddigol

They absolutely are. And they're being indulged by the media. There was a time when you'd be embarrassed to broadcast your stupidity, and the media would make a point of highlighting stupidity. Not anymore it seems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,570 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the human race always had plenty of capacity for stupidity, we just hear more about it now.

I mean the drugs thing was stupendous. That person genuinely thinks that out there there is someone saying to themselves 'if only there were a miniscule section of cycle path here I'd be a millionaire running my drug barron empire, oh well guess I'll have to sell drugs deliveŕd by regular old road'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,894 ✭✭✭cletus

During COVID, fellas were definitely running drugs up and down the canal on ebike/moped type things on the section of canal Greenway between my small village and the next town over.

Whether that's dropped off now, I don't know, I'm not on it as often as I was during the lockdowns

• Advertisement

Criminal gangs travel the countries motorways robbing homes and businesses, transporting drugs and trafficking people, yet no objections to building more roads and growing the roads network into more rural areas...

I'm not saying they don't. I wasn't arguing that the person who said it shouldn't be built because of drugs was correct, I was pointing out that it does in fact happen.

I also don't think that drug dealers thi k they will become millionaires because of a Greenway, but there's a good chance it will get used like that, in my limited experience

My point is that even suggesting a cycle path will assist drug runners is a ridiculous idea altogether that's all.

It can be a ridiculous reason not to build a Greenway, and also be a thing that will happen at the same time.

It seems to have quietened down (at least I'm not hearing anything about it these days) but a section of the Grand Canal Greenway in Dublin was a no-go area there, for a while.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It was also happening between sheriff street and Amiens street last year. Pretty blatantly with lookouts fairly obviously placed

• Registered Users Posts: 20,938 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Blatant open drug dealing has gotten ridiculous in the city. I regularly see open drug dealing behind the Luas stop at St. Stephens Green. Also, Aston quay seems really bad for it. Gardaí seem to have just stopped giving a ****.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

All very interesting but I mean where do said drug runners go after they run out of the 4kms of fit-for-purpose cycle lane in the city?

Id imagine the gardaí are just going to wait for legalisation to end the trade. They're not going to proactively tackle anything, far too lazy and besides the judges won't do anything once caught so its just a wate of paper work

That's mildly obtuse. Nobody is suggesting that drug runners are waiting around for Greenways to be built so they can sell gear. Nobody's suggesting that they'll see this as a golden opportunity to become millionaires.

But, realistically, if a cycle way/greenway/whatever piece of infrastructure allows them to move around quicker and easier (just like all the commuters who will hopefully use it), then they'll definitely use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Disappointing that that they don't seem to be addressing the pinch point at the Booterstown Avenue junction. I know there is going to be the two way on the other side, but there's still a significant cohort for whom the Park route, and the 2 way to a dead end (and presumably an extra light stop) won't suite.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

I cycled that cycle path from Dun Leary to Booterstown yesterday for the first time. Very nice indeed. See what u mean. From there on in its back to the main road on which there appears to be a plan for the standard cycle lanes for the stretch into the city centre. Still...great progress all round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I cycled to work for the first time this year yesterday and I used the road rather than the park through Booterstown, mainly because the narrow bit beside Blackrock station is a total pain in the hoop. On the way into town I certainly won't be crossing the road at Booterstown station to use the new 2-way path only to have to cross the road again when it reaches the county boundary 500m up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Cycle and pedestrian infrastructure plans from Bakers Corner to Graduate roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

according to that video they're going to build a wall across every driveway along the route!

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭mvt

Very open drug dealing on the cycle path beside the liffey in the Memorial park in island bridge.

What looks like a 12 year old boy has himself set up with a nice comfortable portable chair - it like one of the hoppers from the wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CJay1

Thanks for the heads up 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I had thought there was talk of a cpo to widen the path by Blackrock Station? Coming home, I've been using the park but going back up the hill to the road rather than station bit.

I believe the new 2 way is up to the edge of DLR - DCC were supposed to continue it, but have stalled the plans as it was part of the strand road project. Doesn't really make sense to me that they couldn't get it as far as the merrion gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shotser

This will cause GRIDLOCK in the area if it goes ahead according to some in the residents association! Some of the comments submitted to the council are hilarious, especially the one asking about planning permission, must have a mate in Sandyford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭McGrath5

SDCC are looking for feedback on the proposed Old Bawn to Ballyboden active travel scheme.

Advertisement