Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old Sky +HD boxes dying or being killed?

Options
  • 11-06-2023 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Apologies if already covered,or if I'm in the wrong place.

Over this weekend I've been trying to sort out a friend's sat receiver that won't initialise because it's saying there is no signal when there definitely is. It started with BBC 1 dropping pot but all other channels working.

Should say we are talking about no subscription box which has worked for years.

After a reboot all channels gone,and no signal appears.Tried another box,it works,because there is a signal.

Dug out another box,it also says no signal. Tried a hard reboot with no success.

Only strange thing is,She almost signed up for the Sky Q offer,but cancelled a few days later.

Could they have killed the non sub box , or are old boxes dying . I've seen, mention of software update,but it that only doable with subscription? Thanks

Post edited by icdg on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Update,after a very long time the box has decided there actually is a signal and is back working!

Will continue exhaustive field trials,but message so far seems to be don't believe what you read,and be patient.

Will try the original "Faulty,no sig box" and report back.

Update to update.

All boxes back working, Spooky action at a distance, say 22,000 miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Ah sure you wouldn't know who's reading these threads!

Your right, remember the graffiti in the old days?

Help your local Sky, beat yourself up!

Feel like I've crossed over to a Quantum Mechanics Thread by mistake.The working boxes working at this location returned to the lady and don't work.

You know when you try to observe the Double Slit Experiment? But I digress,sorry.

• Advertisement

Just to wind this up.problem was an lnb one. Even though sky÷ HD box was displaying,Initialising,please wait,it was never going to do so. It displayed no sat sig,when there was one. Had to change lnb,but problem remained.

Tried an old lnb from years ago,all working fine.

This all started with BBC 1 dropping out,I notice freq changes?

Also lady had ordered sky q and then cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Madd002

I have very old sky box in bedroom silver still have all channels including all the music channels that sky have now taken off paid subscription. Sky+ box in main living room same but this was an original one from when first introduced. Had a newer one +hd in sunroom and when card removed to watch English channels all disappeared, tried 2 second hand ones but they were same model as mine and no joy. Got sky q in then and showed sky guy my old boxes showing all channels, he was gonna change my dish with new ports but I'd lose all connections to my old boxes an I said no way, he found an old connector that had 6 outlets not sure of real name. said to hold on to the old sky boxes as they were impossible to get.

Thanks for that,this whole thing seems to be getting unnessaryily complicated.

The story at this location ,not my house,was as follows.

BBC 1 dropped out,other channels still working.

Box disconnected from the mains,rebooted,that's when the problems started,no channels.

Box initialising,please wait,displayed,shortly after, No sat signal received,call sky,I don't think so!

Sig test meter confirmed a good sig strength was present,but no rebooting or hard backup ,or factory settings reset changed anything.

Tried several other set top box's,and changed the LNB. No change to on screen displays.

Took all set top boxes to another location where they all, worked.

Eventually brought the LNB from the other location,fitted it to the dish at the first problem location, all works! The original lnb worked for over a year,and surely wasn't a sky Q device?

Be interesting if anyone knows why the box didn't recognise the signal,measured with the meter,is the other information contained in the Broadcast signal to allow them to handshake?

Have noted change of bbc frequencys, and this lady,as I mentioned had cancelled her impending switch over to skyQ,but that wouldn't effect this other free to air non sub box? She has a similar sky+ HD box in the living room.

Did I say unnessaryily complicated.

Any thoughts welcome.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Just a thought. Perhaps the inner connection on the "F" socket of the dodgy box is a bit deep. The coax core fits other boxes/meter but is not quite reaching the dodgy box. Any movement of the box might be enough to tip the balance connecting/not connecting.

Thanks for that but tried 4 boxes and f plug,but a good thought.I wonder if there's more in the signal to talk to the box and initialise it.ie more than just the normal broadcast signal?

• Advertisement

Agree about the old boxes being held onto, particularly as some areas close to me rely totally on them as no terrestrial signals are available. By that I mean no terrestrial TV, Dab,or even FM radio.

One lady has even been charged by Sky for HD at £10/ month,cheeky monkeys.

Also worth pointing out that a TV licence is required,because you hold receiving equipment,even if there's nothing to receive on it.!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

I have a very similar story, (but nothing going on with Sky sales dept)

1st HD+ box, both inputs started dropping off occassionally, but Not Both at the same time. box very hot particularly near tuner/sat inputs section.

Picked up a 2nd HD+ box, worked fine. Pulled apart old box, nothing I could really do, so junked it.

Now 2nd HD+ box doing the same thing, 3 months later.

Checked dish; rusty and Lnb looked askew. Replaced whole lot. Aligned ok, Quad LNB: all 4 inputs all test ok.

Only Input 2 showing signal. Box getting hot near tuner/sat inputs section.

(The box does not understand or need a license)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Edit: the input 1 is the only one that shows sat info, so its possible the wrong satellite is picked up. Quite common if both inputs are ok, but no channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭pron

SkyQ if it was actually installed, uses a very different LNB to the old (normal) receivers .. you need to have a hybrid LNB if you want both, or just an olde LNB if you don't want Q.

Used be a well-known thing, but older boxes won't see a signal on the newer LNBs because they don't switch the same way to the high/low horiz/vertical orientations (IIRC)

Most interesting .I've now replaced 2 lnbs, maybe hottest June ever,and lnbs at the focal point,beloved by spiders.

Also agreed only input 1 should be used,and older lnb best,after you manage to get it on the arm,as they changed over the years. Maybe if as I did you buy a dish with lnb, on line could cause problems ahead. I'm sure you all know both outputs require for recording with subscription. Also agreed sky Q complication..thanks.

could be problems ahead.Dish with both outputs connected I'm sure you know is for recording purposes with a subscription.

Fault returned when box disconnected for a day. Not the Q lnb,or wrong satellite or connections? Sky installer coming Mon because card on sub box faulty.

Had an experience recently where the inner conductor of a proper sky moulded fplug,had corroded, and completely come away from the female socket,but from the outside,the fplug was firmly connected,result no sig.Thanks

Very good to know the 22khz? Switching Polarity has changed somehow,but

Does this mean you should still get half the frequencies Or no sig?

Sadly coming to the conclusion that as I suspected some models of Sky +HD boxes are being Killed,due to bbc freq changes,as they discontinue SD Txs.

Article in Express newspaper and saying a free upgrade will be offered To Customers, of a Sky Q box.. A list of old box manufacturers affected is included.

Maybe someone could check if this has been the reason the confusion Ive been seeing, with some boxes displaying Initialising

,please wait,then No sig. But in truth there is a signal, but frequencies not recognised by box as A signal?

Thanks

• Advertisement

Seems this problem known about since Jan, but I've only had complaints about BBC dropping out in the last 3 weeks, maybe they left our switch off to last like digital TV.

A "Free upgrade" being offered in form of a. Q BOX. But would you have to sign up to another 18 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Elvis Hammond

What transponder were you testing with your meter? You need to specifically test the tp the box defaults to when powered on, & then any problem tps, such as your missing BBCs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If the box shows no signal on tv screen which happens mine Vu zero hd i have to hit the sat box remote to on = picture.

Sat boxes should also say what signal levels are on both tuners.

Sat dishes can move and just work on a stronger signal is why i ask.

If sky box was faulty another box should work in place of it.

Sky box should still let the freesat channels work

I would also check the F connectors at the box for Burning due to water ingress

All connections checked with several stb and lnb.

There is a measured sig at the back,via sat meter,but boxs dont recognise it anymore .It won't initialise because it Thinks there's no sig,there is but not the old one before this freq change?

Sky "Installer" ,been told on boards not to call him an "Engineer".,calling tomorrow I'd say he will tell the lady to upgrade as they want all to switch to Q.signing up for another 18 months no chance!

I thought everone was an engineer these days, as discussed on another thread.

This is a confused apparent series of faults with some manufacturers box's and lnb working other showing odd faults like working fine but if rebooted, showing no sig..

May get some info from the nice Sky professor tomorr5and post results / or not!

If no box is working at hers , it rules out a box issue and if it worked at your place confirms box is okay.

If no longer a member of sky there are others that could check it .

Thanks for that,trying not to complicate the story,but she has a Sky+HD box with subscription, it stared loosing channels after sw over frequencies, its also showing a card faut can't get into My account.

She also has a second similar box with no sub,it's having the peculiar faults,it has its own relatively new dish.

Everything has been changed,boxes,lnbs, all connections and fplugs .

Ah ok she has a sub with them and will possibly force you to upgrade to the newer Q boxes.

I assume 28.2 was rescanned there to pick up new channels on new frequencies.

What is line of sight looking like , as any trees or buildings will block a signal.

https://www.dishpointer.com

Clear as a bell,160 feet above sea level just clear sky.One lnb only oputed a pic if sat finder meter in series,disconnect meter connect fplug,no pic.Crazy.If someone else posted this stuff,I wouldn't believe them.Been doing this with Lenson Heath 1 meter dish before Sky arrived,and before that microwave dishes for OBs,,wave guides,feed horns etc skin effect an all.! Quantum entanglement? But I digress.Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭MenloPete

Could it simply be that these old boxes cannot understand the 23000 symbol rate?

• Advertisement

Was there not a way in menu to see what signal levels were in each tuner as i got a bad tuner and needed f connector redone , but you said that had be done.

Sky HD and Sky+HD boxes

1. Press the Services button on remote.
    2. Go to the options section.
    3. Select “Add Channels”
    4. Enter the parameters for the channel you want to add, such as frequency, polarisation and Symbol Rate.
    5. Press yellow to allow the receiver to add services.
    6. A selection of channels found by the receiver appears.

https://www.spectrumav.ie/losing-channels-on-free-to-air-box-heres-how-to-get-them-back/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement