Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV price war of 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

Model 3 for under €40,000 is very tempting, bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Id4 with scrappage deals, how does this actually work? Arrive in a banger, get 4K off? Will they do 0% finance?

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/volkswagen/id-4/used-2023-231-volkswagen-id-4-life-52-kerry-fpa-202211181797763

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

According to your link

VOLKSWAGEN ID.4 LIFE 52KWH 353KM RANGE 145HP NON METALLIC PAINT ROAD TAX: €120 RETAIL PRICE before GRANTS : €51,300 €5,000 SEAI GRANT VRT €2,000 VOLKSWAGEN PRICE AFTER GRANT: €44,300 UP TO €4,350 SCRAPPAGE AVAILABLE AT DIVANES DIVANE SCRAPPAGE PRICE :€39,950 CALL TO SEE IF YOUR VEHICLE QUALIFIES FOR SCRAPPAGE T&C'S APPLY

So it's up to €44,300, meaning the dealer could give you €0 if they liked

That price includes scrappage and yes they do 0% too

They had the ID3 with 58kWh and 204bhp for 34k after scrappage, which I think was a much better deal and it's was gmfv very high, 22k so the scrapper was good as a deposit, only needed to borrow 12k at 0% for the 3 years, €333 per month, that deal is gone now, ID4 left

That ID4 with 52kWh and 148bhp for 40k isn't great imo, battery too small and too heavy for that little 148bhp motor

No deposit and €333 a month for a VW ID3 is phenomenal value in fairness

• Advertisement

Really don't like looking at these things on a monthly payment basis. Too many people get roped into bad deals by focusing on the low monthly amount.

so basically you pay 12000 and at end of year 3 they will buy car back for 22k? 34k all in, but with benefit of not needing to stump up a lump sum initially...?

presume the deal will be back again

😎

Yeah VW bank are unbeatable at pcp, 34k for the car and a gmfv of 22k after 3years insane, and then you have 0% interest

I like the MG4, Tesla Model 3 and the new Volvo, but when they are charging you 6% interest and crap gmfv its no comparison

Tesla in particular will never make inroads here unless they improve finance

" Tesla Model 3 Rear-Wheel Drive - PCP Representative Example | 36 fixed monthly payments of €735 | On-the-road cash price €40,332 | Customer deposit €4,034 | Total amount of credit €36,298 | Optional Final Payment €15,326 | Interest charges €5,478 | Total amount payable €45,811 | Annual Percentage Rate 6.90%"

€735pm is ridiculous

Exactly it, 12k over 3 years and 22k at the end for 34k all in, I personally wouldn't buy the car for 22k at the end, as in 3 years the cars imo will be much improved in that segment with the Chinese arriving now, but what a car your getting for 12k over 3 years, if you have a banger, VW are giving you a free car for 3 years when you factor in running costs of the banger

It was a runout model, they have a new facelifted one out now, so it was old stock they were selling, that garage you linked with the ID4 were doing that deal, no harm in ringing them to see if its still available

Yeah I would expect similar deals from VW and even other autogiants like the french, koreans etc

The Chinese are selling a 450bhp MG4 for 43k in a few weeks, Volvo a mini SUV for 40k and BYD have a 60kWh for less than 30k arriving in September, Tesla dropping prices every few months, the days of Hyundai and the like selling a Kona for 40k in EV form when the petrol one costs 22k are over, finally some competition now and cost parity to ICE is getting there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,164 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

hi Stevie can you elaborate on how VW are giving you a free car when you add in the running costs of the banger- i don't follow?

Are you saying that the €333 repayment cost would be made up for in fuel and servicing costs that you would have had on the banger?

Also are there mileage limits on this deal?

I'm interested as i have a diesel that seems to be developing issues at the moment (ever since someone allowed their car to roll into my front bumper!!) and i wonder what the best deal is on a new or nearly new car at the moment.

Ive never bought new or had a PCP or an EV.

Exactly that, fuel, tax, servicing etc, I might have exaggerated but it's practically for free :)

Mileage is 15,000km for pcp deal

A pre 1.9tdi 08 banger with €670 road tax vs €120 is €550 saved

15,000km in that banger doing 7litres/100km =€11 per 100km, EV on some 22c per unit night rate = €4.40 100km = €1000 saved

Servicing/yearly nct = surely €700 a year to keep on road and decent condition?

That's €2,200/€183pm saved

So €150pm for a new car

VW group are the only ones doing 0% finance, others have lower list price but crap finance like MG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Typically insurance is much lower for new cars, propably due to safety tech.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'd be careful when pricing in 0% finance deals. You should pretty much ignore them and only look at the total cost to change. VW are using their finance arm to avoid lowering list price. A car that's €40,000 with a 6% loan over 3 years is still cheaper than a €44,000 car with a 0% loan over the same period.

It's not so clear cut Liam

PCP doesn't follow that logic

VW are not only using financial arm, they are giving out very high gmfv, scrappage and trade in allowances, when you factor them all in it can make a difference

That 34k list price and 22k gmfv with 0% finance is practically unbeatable for a 60kWh 204bhp family hatch, even the Chinese MG and BYD equivalent are more expensive

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

PCP follows the exact same logic as any other financing mechanism, VW aren't a charity and are funding that 0% finance offering with the vehicle costs.

All the "incentives" you see need to be included in a calculation, I'm not saying VW aren't offering good value, but don't fall for a 0% interest rate. Do the math on total cost and compare the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

I think it follows same logic in terms that there is debt and repayments, but PCP includes binding trade-in price on vehicle (one could call it a put option).

It is also true that VW is discounting cars by reducing cost of credit or increased trade-in value, but typically they would not pass this discount when paying cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭terrarev

That deal was one or two garages looking to clear out stock of an old model. It was a good deal but not something you can really use to compare against the alternatives out there.

I feel that VW are about 5k overpriced against their competitors on a like for like.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭baby fish

I've only bought with cash, never a loan or PCP... would PCP suit someone travelling 30,000 km in a year or is it aimed people doing less than 15k?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Only suits low mileage users but clocking is apparently rife with PCP cars in the UK. Not aware if we have the same issue.

It is a bit of a lottery depending on the insurance company

Chill wanted to up my premium to €1100 from €430 when moving from a Leaf40 to a Model 3, Aviva wanted €420 to insure the Model 3

Drivers who go PCP over here tend to re-finance and hold on to their cars after the initial 3 years so clocking isn't as much of an issue

• Advertisement

Tesla Ys available at 45k this morning including a hitch, so 44k really....not sure the likes of VW can respond well to that. 0% finance perhaps their main tool leveraging their bank?

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 27,901 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

They'll be back to normal price I'm 4 days time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Ah the murkiness of PCP rears its head again. To keep the car, or upgrade, you have to pay the GMFV (€22,000) - it's the final payment - they don't buy it back for €22k, you have to pay that €22k! If you don't want to pay the GMFV and hand back the keys, then you are out of pocket by €12,000 (excluding the value of your scrapper) - or you have paid €333 per month to rent the car (which isn't actually too bad!). You may also have to pay penalties if you are over the mileage allowance, or there is any damage to the car such as scratches and dents, or if you haven't adhered to the servicing schedule.

If you want to get a new car after the PCP ends, your deposit is whatever the dealer offers as the market value, less the GMFV payment. So, if the car was going for around €28k on the market, the dealer may offer you €25/ €26k (they need to make a profit), which means your equity is €2k-€3k which can be used for the deposit on your new car... you will then have to top up the deposit. The dealer must offer at least €22k, which is exactly what your final payment is, so it's a moot point. It's only relevant if the arse crashes out of the market on a car, and being honest, you could just hand the keys back anyhow!

People need to be aware of this as they focus too much on the monthly payments and ignore the final payment. If the final payment is higher, then the amount you get for your new deposit will be lower (unless there is a scenario like the recent lack of used cars and the used car market is overpriced). This will inevitably end up with people having to top up their deposit, or buying the car outright. Always look at the final price and work it out that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭antfin

I wouldn't be too inclined to buy into a manufacturer based on a PCP deal compared to the total cost of ownership. I think that people buying on PCP should be aware that the rising interest rates mean that 0% might not be available in 3 years.

With a high GMFV amd EVs likely to come down in price over the coming years, they could find that they have very little or no equity and are faced with the choice of starting a new PCP deal with no deposit at a much higher interest rate to stay in a new car, handing the car back to buy something else with no deposit from the previous car or refinancing at a higher interest rate to finance a 3 year old car that will quickly lose more value.

People should really consider it to be a rental of the car in the current environment, which is fine but they need to base all future planning on that when considering the next steps in three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,280 ✭✭✭✭fits

I completely consider our pcp as car rental and that’s ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mr Q

It depends. I've never had a car on PCP or finance before my current one and I do about 25k a year.

If you plan on buying it anyway after the 3 years then it can be a good way to finance it initially if the interest rates are low.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,366 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Have you driving it?

I got mine for 32k from Divanes

it’s a great car. I put up 30k in the first 12 months and very rarely had to charge en route

i know someone here moved from a 52kwh to a 77kwh and commented that the 52 was actually a better drive and nipper. Being a good bit lighter.

Cost                                      €35,300.00

Scrappage                  € 3,000.00

Deposit                               €10,000.00

Finance Amount              €22,300.00

GFV                                      €16,860.00

36 Monthly Payments   €     243.17

Rate 5.9%

when I went to collect it I actually got a lower rate of 3.9%

• Registered Users Posts: 10,993 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Back on the price war

Interesting response, basically the opposite of what Tesla are doing

Instead of building more cars and dropping prices, VW are reducing production in the wake of lower demand, presumably to keep the price high

I wonder if the Model Y is cannibalising ID.4 sales in Europe, definitely seems like a possibility at this point

I also wonder how long it'll be until VW throw in the towel and start cutting prices

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

I haven't ted, the 148bhp is probably perfectly fine for most people with that instant torque and true on the lighter weight, def make a difference

That's an insane deal btw, fair play, 32k for that machine, wow

For 40k I don't think its great value, but for 32k its a steal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,439 ✭✭✭eagerv

They will call it whatever they like, ie cut production, low interest rates, scrappage etc etc. But eventually they will have to drop the retail prices to compete. Look at the second hand market atm.

All imo..

Advertisement