Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

I don't think he's cameo'd with them since he did a few dates after songs for the deaf was release...more outta respect to Joe Castillo and John Theodore

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭RINO87

Epic finish there on BBC Four. Over and out...that's has been an incredible weekends viewing. I'm on a high from ot all and have only been watching on TV.

Safe trip home to all ye lucky baxtards over there!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,207 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

"I'll go to bed after the next one, sure I'm recording it"...me since the 3rd song. Now I'm a ball of energy and have to be up at 7. Thanks Queens, phenomenal set

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

I dunno, i'm not feeling that Queens set at all. Then again i've never being more than a casual listener for them.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

The very worst artist I’ve seen in 18 years of going to EP.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Pinball Wizard was a big hit for Elton, not for The Who. He sang it in the movie and I’d guess than many only associate it with him.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

W. Axl Rose was in terrific form, but then he is of course the greatest singer of all time. Can't wait for Tuesday to see the greatest band ever to grace God's green Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,481 ✭✭✭tinpib

Looking forward to hearing from people who were over at it. The DM have an article about people whinging and leaving the site early on Sunday. Assume it's just DM click/rage bait.

Was at my first festival in many years a few weeks back during the incredible sunny weather, it made it. I would think Glasto in warm sunny weather would be amazing. As I get older I think weather is a deal breaker for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Shank Williams

That’s grumbling is all from the just play the hits Pyramid crowd I’d say- seems like an area to be avoided tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭crl84

2024 dates confirmed in the Glastonbury Free Press as last weekend of June, as expected. Not the weekend after the summer solstice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,993 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

From reading twitter and reddit it seems the main complaint is overcrowding. I went several times between 2005 and 2015 and it never felt overcrowded. I'd love to return with the kids in tow some day but fears off it being an increasingly poor experience are keeping me from even thinking about trying to get tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes. I went to see Noel Gallagher in the rain in St Anne's last year and was sick for a week afterwards ..never again , too old.

Best moments / groups...

(Missed half of it cos our cable went down Sat through to Sunday evening but caught up with things on the BBC iplayer when we got it back )

1. The Lightening Seeds ,

great set in the sunshine, the Tribute to Terry Hall RIP 😪 who sang and co wrote a few of their hits ,

and Ian Broudie singing the Life Of Riley with his son Riley playing with him on the stage laughing .

2. Christie Hynde and The Pretenders , withJohnnie Marr , her voice is as beautiful as ever .

3. CMAT doing an interview after singing Cowgirl and flashing at the camera man 🤣

4 . Elton John singing Rocket Man with the fabulous crowd .

Looking forward to going next year , if possible, but we' ll stay in a guesthouse I think ;)

Kate Bush being mentioned by Jo Wiley et al as a maybe for Sunday Night 💃

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭crl84

Overcrowding at certain acts I think. That was definitely a big complaint last year.

In reality though, the total numbers onsite/tickets sold hasn't changed over the last few years AFAIK.

I think it's just that certain acts/high profile slots are pulling more people, along with perhaps a changing demographic of festival attendee, so certain acts are absolutely wedged, while lots of the site is empty....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I tried to go see Bruce Forsythe ten years ago and not a chance you were getting anywhere near that tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,580 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Its increased massively. Theres 210k people on site now. Was 203k in 2019. And it was already too much.

Noticeable increase since the 00's and all they've added is the Park really.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

So is the problem adding too many smaller stages ?

Or selling too many tickets ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

Could the size of tent people are using now also be an issue? The four person tent with a big separate entrance area seems to be a popular option nowadays.

Too many tickets. The next muddy year when everyone stays on the paths through the markets etc will be a shambles.

Theres queues for everything now. Even simple stuff like trying to get food is a ballache. I like it busy but its just tipped over.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Overcrowded! LOL. I was there in 2000. Now that was overcrowded! (fence fell down). I was back in 2002 and it felt half full in comparison! Obviously site is much bigger now than then.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement

Ah yeah but that was when the place nearly got shut down!

Seems to be a lot of people getting in these days without tickets. Which is concerning but also impressive!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I seem to remember people claiming it was busy last year as well, but never noticed it myself.

Now admitedly it was standing room only all the way back for Elton with zero chance of getting out of the crowd for a wee. But that was just everyone being in the same place at the same time. The site overall was not crowded, and plenty of room to walk about the market areas and from my wandering around the campsites there seemed to be enough gaps in plenty of fields to squeeze in an extra tent or two. Absolutely nothing like the early 2000s where you'd have tents on top of tents and zero space between them along with overcrowded market pathways as well.

2000 was definitely busy. Since then the numbers have mostly just been what it said on the license application and any overcrowding people noticed is just down to going to the same part of the site as everyone else at the same time, and they are way better at managing crowd movement around the site these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭trashcan

I didn’t see much of it at all, but my (unexpected) highlight was Yusuf/Cat. Really good from him. Great voice, and I’d forgotten how many of his songs I knew. Faultless version of Here Comes the Sun too, one of my favourite Beatles tracks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There is significantly larger areas for camping than in 2000 with pretty much everything to the west of Pennards being new camping fields as well as some other minor adjustments elsewhere and the fence being gradually moved back around the Stone Circle. Also now have more off site camping options for those with more money, and the campervan areas increased massively too.

There is a selection of old maps here:

https://861fernandoreedkabar.blogspot.com/2023/06/glastonbury-festival-map-2000.html?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

performance of the weekend must be slash, i wouldn't even be able to remember my name after all the drinking he has done not to mind how to play like that

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Quite possibly the greatest ever performance of a song at Glastonbury?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Wooderson

BAFTA for the Beeb's drone pilot for Elton. As impressive as anyone on the stage.

Yep, but my first impression on watching that clip after being there in person is how different the balance between vocals and instruments is compared to in the arena. Eltons voice was far louder than instruments in the BBC setup than on site.

Not looked at at clip from GnR yet, but whilst Axls voice was obviously dodgy at the Pyramid it didn't really matter so much as the tunes were enough and everyone was shouting/ screaming along anyway. If there was that kind switch in the BBC sound levels though then it would account for why people watching at home were horrified by the quality so much. Less likely to be screaming along at home too so drowning out hearing dodgy vocals from the performers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Well what a week it was. Elton was bloody amazing and I wouldn’t necessarily be a fan but with the back catalogue he has he can’t go wrong. I’m completely broken. My legs and back are fcuked. Shower and a real bed are badly needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

Folks without tickets? Is that speculation or fact?

I just remembered how in 1997 we drove a regular Transit van into the Campervan field and just parked up, with no need for an extra pass. Or if you did, we didn't have one and no-one stopped us. There was loads of room in that field too, i imagine the Campervan fields are quite crowded these days.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Advertisement