Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tailteann Cup 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

Enda McGinley comes across as a real gent.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭supernova5

I am aware that American football gets played in Croke park but I didn't think that cricket is also played there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

As bad as Laois are Down's forward play is scintillating at times. Speed of hand and foot, good movement, lethal finishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Whatever about London, it doesn't say much for Fermanagh & Offaly that they couldn't beat Laois this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,784 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

• Advertisement

I was about to say you'd never see Offaly doing this and I thought of their hurlers 🙈

Billy Sheehan seems to see the funny side of this walloping anyway. Smiling away on the sideline. I'd be offering up my resignation after a humiliation like this. And the defensive coach may seek employment elsewhere, also.

Thank god that’s over

I don’t think I’ve saw a county game with 8 goals

• Registered Users Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Can't imagine a team has ever scored eight goals at this level too many times?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Marty Morrissey talked about The Sunday Game highlights coming up tonight with all the hurling and football action. He said Down have been the biggest scorers this weekend. Well Clare scored 5-26(41) in the hurling against Dublin. Down had 8-14 at the time. They added 2 more points to finish on 8-16(40).

• Registered Users Posts: 25,324 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Limerick opened them up just like Down and then missed 6 goal chances.

A bad beating was coming as soon as Laois met a team on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Dublin scored 42 points against this same Laois team in the Leinster Championship two months ago.

Apathy is strong in Laois at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,324 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well at least the Tailteann Cup has given a few nice days out for the fans not just hunting glory.

Was nice to see them around Limerick celebrating even if I was gutted myself.

Could be wrong but I feel like winning this would mean a lot more to Down fans so I hope they go do it.

How Westmeath have done in the Sam shows how worthwhile winning the Tailteann is too. A friend from Limerick said they were the better team v Laois alright. The way it's turned out they'd have been better off losing to Limerick or Fermanagh.

If there was a formula for translating a football score to hurling, 40 pts in football must be around 60 in hurling!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Poor enough finish from us and cam consider ourselves lucky to come away with the win. We really miss McGill in the full back line.

Down should have beaten us last time round so will be favourites, particularly after that demolition job today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Always felt that the last couple of weeks was papering over the cracks and Limerick even missed 4 good goal chances against Laois, so it was coming. In many ways you would prefer to have lost last week by a point with very few watching than having to face getting annihilated very publicly on national television. That does nobody any good including Down in a similar way to Tipperary getting a record score against Offaly last week and failing to raise much of a gallop yesterday.

Tailteann Cup Final

Down 8/15

Meath 15/8

Down -2 @ 10/11

• Advertisement

It’s actually really sad to see a county like Meath in the Talteann cup .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭This is it

What happened with McGill? Hasn't lined out this season as far as I'm aware?

Why? We're there simply because we finished sixth in division 2 and Sligo and Clare made their provincial finals (and we didn't). If it had been in place over the last 10-15 years, you would have had teams like Roscommon, Monaghan, Kildare, Derry, Cork and Armagh in it too (ourselves too). And that's just the teams that (from memory) have been in divisions 3/4. I'm sure there may have been others based on league position in division 2 during that time.

I think he was unfit after Christmas and didn't return to the panel. There was talk of a bust up with O'Rourke but not sure how true that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭ebbsy

3 weeks is a long gap to the final ?

Anyway hard luck to Antrim and well done to Down. They went for it and I have never seen a team go for goals like they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Exactly. Throw in Down, Cavan and Fermanagh into that too. Poor reflection on structures within the county that has allowed this to happen. Look at Clare, a duel county, not a huge population but competing valiantly for Sam while some of their hurlers would walk on the football team. People fawning over a Down/Meath final in the second tier need a reality check.

It's like the cute hoor club secretary and manager entering their U14 team in the fourth Division championship knowing full well they will win it easy, so they get all the plaudits for bringing a trophy to the parish, when in actual fact they could have been competitive in Division 2 or 3, but not winning a trophy

Push out the boat a little and strive to improve rather than being stuck in a little bubble, happy to be legends in their own lunch-boxes.!!

Literally not a single person is "fawning" over Meath or Down in the final. For Meath, it's been a way to give newer players games while also being a shot to guaranteeing All Ireland football next year. There won't be mad celebrations if we win in a few weeks. Not sure why you're throwing Fermanagh in with the other teams. They've never even won an Ulster title before and given the small population and demographics in the county, they've got much more problems than the structures in the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,266 ✭✭✭howiya

Down, a division three team, would have had to make the Ulster final to avoid being in the Tailteann Cup. Hardly cute hoorism by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Down’s problems, a bit like Derry before them, was that they have a highly competitive club game and alot of their best players wouldn’t commit to the county team.

They’ve now appointed the right man who has managed to get everyone to row in behind him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

A county steeped in football tradition. 8th overall in the roll of honour with 5 wins, their only loss in a final being the 2010 final to Cork. Hardly a lifetime ago. What's gone wrong up there that they are now happy to compete in a Tier 2 competition. How does a county like them end up in Division 3 in the first place. FFS, Limerick were in Div 2 this year, a county where hurling is king at this point in time and football laughed at. Clare likewise, but granted football is taken more serious there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭rrs

Don't think it was great for the promotion of the Tailtean Cup with Mayo and Galway on Rte 1 at 3. Obviously it was an important game, but the Tailtean Cup last year the semi finals were standalone fixtures.

The new round robin hasn't helped the Tailtean Cup

Advertisement