Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange New Worlds 2x01- 'The Broken Circle' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

the JJ Abrams movies definitely had the Spock Uhura relationship front and centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,051 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

An absolutely zero chemistry relationship. Not sure what they were thinking there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Fortunately V'ger stepped in in the Star Trek : the Motion Picture and prevented him from completing it.

Yeh, one presumes the fallout from his relationship with Chapel and general exploration of his emotional side will be so bad he'll recommit himself to cold hard logic in the short term (TOS) and an attempt at a full purging through the Kohlinhar in the long term (Star trek the motion picture).

It's from a tiny scene in TOS where he was playing, in the galley, and she was singing/flirting (I think)

Was very random

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭eadrom

He didn't complete Kolinahr though. And throughout TMP he was far more emotionally repressed than he had been in TOS, as a result of perusing it at all (and near-completing it). His arc throughout the film was to realise and accept his own humanity, and his friends.

I don't think TMP did the best job of highlighting that arc but I thought it was really good and essential character development for Spock.

Watched this episode again last night and thought it was great, without my own anticipation and excitement for new Trek getting in the way.

A strange opener for sure but that's the only problem really. Ethen Peck is a great Spock. I'm not too interested in the traumatised war veterans arc or the battle-drugs thing but even those scenes were well done. Again, good characters played well.

I still think the alien make-up in these shows looks too much like foam latex or something, it's really distracting. Looking at photos or screen-shots of Worf or any of the Klingons in TNG and I dunno, the TNG makeup just looks a bit better somehow. Like it blends better, or holds a sweaty-shine better. The new stuff looks like dry rubber masks. I keep hoping I'll just get used to it but have been thinking the same since "way back" in Disco season 1. Just doesn't look like skin.

Oh, and a real cringe-inducing worst part of the episode was that stupid "you gonna say your thing?" on the bridge. Really wish they'd just drop that. And having Spock play dumb was just the stupid cherry on the stupid cake. How can he be the only officer on the bridge not to know about "the thing".

Exterior shots of the ship and station, on the other hand, looked spectacular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,729 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

TUC: if I were human, I believe my response would be.....go to hell...... if I were human. :D

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

A decent episode on its own but a frustrating follow-up to the S1 cliffhanger. It's as if the showrunners wanted to kick off the new season with an action story rather than a courtroom drama of people arguing in a room (even though that's produced some of the best Trek episodes). The Klingons are an improvement from Discovery - they can emote a bit more than trying to act through what felt like halloween masks in Discovery. I'm wary of the Gorn becoming a big threat to the Federation. If Starfleet can keep the conflict "secret" or avoid it altogether it might sidestep canon problems with TOS. But if it becomes a "hot" war like the Klingon war in Discovery it then makes no sense that TOS has what's supposed to be a "first contact" with the Gorn.

If it were my choice I would (re) introduce the Kzinti from the animated series as the big threat. They were a race that were mooted for live action in the cancelled S5 of Enterprise. Given the advances in makeup & cgi since ENT it'd be interesting to see them in live action. There are probably some rights issues to be sorted out with the author Larry Niven but they've also been used in Lower Decks and name-checked in Picard.

Not sure cat people would work in a live action series.

It could very easily turn out looking a bit Mr. Mistoffelees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

They had shots of Caitians (another 'cat' race) in "Voyage Home" which looked pretty good and that was back in the 80s. The fact that they would be in costume/uniform would help a lot. As lot as they don't go fully cgi they could avoid the horror of 'CATS' movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Oh, and a real cringe-inducing worst part of the episode was that stupid "you gonna say your thing?" on the bridge. Really wish they'd just drop that. And having Spock play dumb was just the stupid cherry on the stupid cake. How can he be the only officer on the bridge not to know about "the thing".

I agree. They should have just had Spock say Push it or launch it even and done.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Small observation but I've enjoyed the Starbase's giant, biosphere structure for those conference scenes at base. It adds an effective bit of of grandeur and scope to the Federation's institutions; no cramped conference rooms making things feel a bit too small.

Ya I tried watching it again during lockdown. The only positive takeaway is I finally appreciated other people love for Trip and T'Pol. All the other characters except Hoshi were way worse than I remembered them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,985 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Yeah, looks straight out of Silent Running. Wouldn't be surprised if that actually was an inspiration, since they've drawn from a lot of classic sci fi.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh yeah, that's a good nod; it's a very simple little accentuation and oddly, a rare moment of grandeur and scale in Trek. Cos yeah, of course a Starbase might have pretty spectacular views from its biosphere. Why wouldn't you have your meetings with that kind of view?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I like it, as above a few niggles (I knew that there would be something about that kids family and low and behold her parents are both female)

The Dr is great, I think he plays the role very well, a healer who has demons that are very close to the surface. Chapel is great too, very capable.

The "I want the ship to go" part was just terrible though.

Spock's "thing" will just be "Go"

On kids parents, that's the perfect way. No social hammer, just normality. In a show where the first officer is mixed race (literally), I don't think that we should be batting an eye at her parents.

Discovery did Stamets and Culber perfectly, just a couple in love. The best social commentary is the type which makes you totally accept the message, nearly subliminally, as opposed to latter Disc which seemed to revel in getting a rise out of people and solidifying existing lines.

Confused: what "something" was made about the parents? Yeah they were both women but nothing was made or said about it. They barely featured TBH.

Yeah, it's not like they were draped in rainbow flags and such.

They were just a family

• Advertisement

I've watched the episode twice and I honestly didn't even notice that her parents were a same sex couple.

Obviously I wasn't paying enough attention for those scenes (oh look, an emotional macguffin child. *zones out*) but also obviously, who cares.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,034 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Same, I also zoned out for the scenes involving the child so would have to rewatch to notice that.

I only watched it because I suspected they would take the opportunity to show how modern and cool and with it they are.

So reflecting reality is modern and cool? Cool, I suppose.

Progressive social issues in Star Trek?! Good heavens. Does the Roddenberry estate know about this?

Somebody's going to be in a lot of trouble once they find out.

There are over 73M children in the US, 191K of which live with same sex parents.

It seems a mite forced to me, just based on the maths.

I'm just hoping they don't follow discovery where every new character has to be trans or gay or non binary rather than them actually have a well fleshed out character.

I dont think any show should have to accurately represent the exact percentage of the different families out there. If a child was being brought up by their grandparents ( probably a small percentage in real life in US) would you complain if that was over represented in media? I would agree if all new characters were gay for no reason it would look forced but noting negatively the presence of one same sex couple does seem a bit excessive.

A lot of chatter around a totally fleeting moment of a daughter with two mothers. It happens, let's move on before somebody trots out the W word and the thread really goes downhill 🤭

• Advertisement

(Nuclear) Wessels

Oh... Wait

Wesley

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭corkie

It's better anyway. We just had two shows that were centred around a single person so we don't need Star Trek:Pike

Meh, I think I'd be ok with that to be honest, his character bears no resemblance to "her" and I think at this stage he could carry a show better than Stewart can at his age.

But thankfully they seem to have the balance of SNW so either is fine, if they could pivot Disco to follow a similar pattern then it would be all the better for it

The name doesnt sound pretty cool though, star trek: Pike

He is different to Burnham because the show isn't all about him. If it was he would end up solving everything and he would be just like Burnham.

I know you will disagree seeing as you can't even say "her" name which is a bit childish.

Ms

But thankfully they seem to have the balance of SNW so either is fine, if they could pivot Disco to follow a similar pattern then it would be all the better for it.

It's too late for that show now.

I think it will be forgotten about over the passage of time even do it has its fans. I can see it going where all unloved T.V shows go to be forgotten about.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Given the cycle of fandom and pop-culture, I wouldn't rule out a "legacy" Discovery show in a few years, Martin-Green returning to the role of Burnham as an Admiral, President of Everything or whatever, the clickbait channels of the time shouting how great Discovery was in retrospect.

I'm being facetious of course, but also semi-serious; all it would take is some canny producer who wanted to "do right by" Discovery and give it another shot.

There will come a time that Discovery fans will be screaming on stupid YouTube channels about "Canon DESTROYED" or raging that Burnham got recast and is nothing like the old one.

Discovery will also definitely get retroactively refined as an amazing example of "real Trek" so it can be used as a weapon against nu-nu-Trek just like Enterprise is now 🤣

Ide say about the only thing won't happen again is nobody will ever again be brave enough to mess with how Klingons look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Honestly I think the attempt to do right by Discovery was postponing the final season by a year so they can try and put it into some semblance of a decent exit. I'm not sure how many reshoots they're looking at, but I think that all that's worth rescuing from that show is Culber and Saru. Saru is just a great character (and actor) and I think Culber has developed reasonably well, or as well as a character that isn't Burnham can do in that style show.

Oh, I hadn't realised they had pushed back Disco's final season; we sure that's not just an offshoot of the Writer's Strike?

Ms

I would not mind if they done a show on the Shenzoe. That I would watch. Might be good.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

No, they finished shooting last year, and it was scheduled for release around March/April this year but got pushed out to early next year while they filmed additional scenes. From what I remember they announced that it was the final season after it had already been filmed, so I think it was possibly on the back of Picard Season 3 being a lot better than expected, and SNW Season 1 going down so well that they decided to put it out of its misery.

• Advertisement

Maybe they'll just shelve it altogether; Snowpiercer's already-shot final season has disappeared into a legal black hole, while Discovery gets to finish itself up. There's no fairness in the world!

That makes no sense. Why would Picard influence it.

Paramount are in trouble money wise so it is possible there was a toss up between SNW or Discovery but Picard has nothing to do with it.

I didn't know that about Snowpiercer. Really liked that show despite the premise needing a lot of leaps of faith.

Same happened to a lot of Netflix stuff, used as a tax write-off so legally the IP can never be used. Unfortunately Final Space got caught up in it all so is now dead for all time, can't even move it to a different producer/owner even though the storyline is complete and ready to be animated :(

It's not though is it.

It's just the same tired old YouTube edgelord shte.

• Advertisement
Advertisement