Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange New Worlds 2x01- 'The Broken Circle' ~~ { ** Spoilers Within ** }

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,590 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No. TNG Klingons only as that is the way they were meant to look except they did not have the budget for them in TOS.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Same could be said for Discovery and makeup process, material, budget.

There have been several iterations of Klingons, you just have a preference.

I disagreed with the purple but even that made sense. We have seen different coloured Andorians, Vulcans, and others so why would there not be different coloured Klingons? Purple made sense considering the blood colour in ST6

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Klingons peaked with the Duras sisters in TNG. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,726 ✭✭✭Evade

Is it really a preference if they looked the same for all their appearances bar the first 5 or so until Discovery?

A preference would be more like: Romulans, 80s shoulder pads yes or no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Damn straight, no shoulder pads, no Romulans! Look like Euro shop Vulcans without those crisp lines...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

As an opener for a new season, I thought this one was a bit weak to be honest.

No Pike for most of the episode when he's the best part of the show was a bad decision (though maybe Mount was unavailable for filming or something?), and the whole Stealing the Enterprise scene has been done better twice before - most recently only about 2 months ago!

I think that's my biggest problem with this.. We were spoiled by Picard season 3 (particularly the second half of it), we revisited familiar characters who had moved on and changed but were still fundamentally the same, in a story that moved them forward and even gave the Enterprise-D the send off she deserved!

This then by comparison feels like better than average fan fiction, with stand in actors playing characters we already know and scenarios that were never mentioned for the most part but whose necessity is questionable anyway. I would actually put Star Trek Continues above this in that category. At least those actors (particularly the leads) felt more like the original characters.

That might sound harsh and maybe it is, but it's hard to get reinvested in this after watching the TNG crew get to shine one last time. That's probably why I haven't bothered watching the latest 2 episodes yet and am in no rush to.

Maybe it's just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

While Picard season 3 was good, SNW still blows it out of the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

There was one moment that got me right in the feels.

For Nichelle

who was first through the door

and showed us the stars

that bit was ok

this hit though…

hailing frequencies forever open….

• Registered Users Posts: 24,418 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's actually not true. The TNG Klingon was based on a design that came about after the release of TOS.

"The inspiration for the post-TOS Klingon makeup came from Planet Earth, an unsold 1974 Gene Roddenberry pilot"

• Advertisement
Advertisement