Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christy Dignam RIP

Options

Comments

I remember the first time I saw Aslan and Christy play and the craic my old friend and me had. We all told her to get her ticket because they would be like gold dust. Of course true to form she left it to the last minute and they were gone. She managed to get in to the gig in the end and the experience was mentioned by us for many years after. Christy in a white shirt, bare feet, brown as a berry and standing on a table. Full of the music and so were we.

Rest in Peace Christy.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

Yeah he went from being horrifically abused as a child to a chronic drug addict and into a hugely successful singer. So yeah he came out the other side and I dare say if you had suffered what he had suffered you'd do the odd bit of complaining too.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

They might have played it more than once, I only did my Junior Cert in 1993 so I wasn't at that one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭cnoc

Does anyone remember Christy performing in Cruises Street in Limerick? I do not know what year it was.

Post edited by cnoc on

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Sad news about Christy. A gent by all accounts. Always loved This Is. Earlier in the day I was sat in an oncologist's office with my Dad. We got good news about my Dad's treatment. The news of Christy's passing was sobering given where we'd just walked out of an hour previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭PGE1970

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭Tork

I wouldn't consider myself to be an Aslan fan but there was something about their live shows which gripped me in the way their records never did. I first saw them play live in the early 00s when I tagged along with some friends to the local hotel. I wasn't expecting much but how wrong I was. They were feckin' brilliant live and like everyone else in that room, I was singing along (badly) to the hits by the end. There's a good reason why so many people in Ireland went "Ah no..." when they heard that he had died.

As an aside, I didn't think much of Dave Fanning's comments about Christy and Aslan on Claire Byrne's radio show earlier. It wasn't the time nor the place to criticise him and his band.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

In a way, I'm selfishly grateful that Aslan didn't make it big.

If they went to superstardom like had been projected in the 80s before Christy's problems, we might not have had the same accessibility to them in the years that followed, and not to mention these anecdotes about Christy. Someone in every part of the country has a story and every time it's with a wide smile. Aslan going global could have potentially robbed people of that (through nobody's fault, it should be pointed out).

Obviously the lads and Christy deserved better, but he was Dublin, he was Ireland, and he was ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,730 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I didn't hear what Dave Fanning said, but there's a time and a place for criticism, and this isn't it.

Many of us remember Aslan when they were rising stars, but Christy was always honest about where it went wrong. It takes a lot of courage and self-awareness to acknowledge your own foibles.

Very sad, 63 is still a young age. RIP Christy.

I saw Aslan live twice back in the 90s, great gigs that I still remember well. I consider myself very lucky that in my time I have seen some great Irish bands live before they got famous - The Blades, Aslan, The Script, and U2 - though the first time I saw U2 was 1985 in Croke Park and they had already made it internationally.

Condolences to Christy's family, friends and band members.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,767 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

His life story would make a great film biopic

A truly raw unique voice and decent honest skin

RIP Christy whose music will live on and on in this crazy world

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭griffin100

Not that I want to send anyone to this trash website but what he said is outlined at https://extra.ie/2023/06/14/entertainment/dave-fanning-aslan-christy-dignam

I wounder does Dave Fanning consider himself as having 'made it'. He'd be nothing without his friendship with Bono and U2.

I wasn't a huge Aslan fan but saw them a few times and every gig was brilliant. They had a hardcore group of fans who seemed to follow them everywhere. I had friends who would travel all over the country to watch them. At one gig I was working backstage and Christy was there and he was very polite and quiet with no airs and graces and was chatting away before he went on stage.

There's one story he told (I think on the Late Late Show) that summed up some of the sh1te he had to deal with. He was in a Taxi heading to RTE I think and the taxi driver mentioned that Christy Dignam was on the Late Late Show that night and then launched into a tirade against Dignam saying they grew up together and were best friends when younger and now Dignam was this and that and too big for his boots, etc etc - As Christy said when he told the story, he never met the taxi driver in his life ever and the driver hadn't even recognised him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

Dave Fanning was on RTE.. gave an unfairly blunt review of their career, or lack of.

I think its bad form to be dissing people who have recently died.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭the 12 th man

That Entertainment article link....It Was Dignam and Conor Goff who formed the band when Christy left for the few years not Dignam and Goth😫

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Fanning is and was a great DJ. Quite well known even outside of Ireland. I kind of get his point, although it probably wasn't good timing. Louis Walsh once said the Irish music industry had wasted millions on bands like Aslan who thought they were rock stars before they really were. I wouldn't be a fan of Walsh or his music but he probably had a point here. Aslan were a great band but they squandered their own success.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭buried

Success can go eat itself. The man created and performed some of the greatest pop songs of the late 80's/early nineties. Beautiful and iconic era defining music for people who got the vibe from it and loved it. He actually made real art and did it for ordinary people like himself who also dug it. Just because the band wasn't pushing greasy sales numbers akin to some crowd like u2 means absolutely nothing.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

How did the Irish music industry spend millions on Aslan?? Who knows Fanning outside of Ireland but slags of f

Christy because he was only known in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 38,095 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Done the 'irish Rock n roll experience' a few years back and the video of 'this is' is included so that must of attracted internationally

The late 80s/early 90s was my time for Irish music and you could go to a good gig four nights a week.

Bands like Something Happens, A House, The Stunning, The F&W, Microdisney/Fatima Mansions, 4 of Us, Fat Lady Sings, An Emotional Fish, The Golden Horde etc all brought out excellent albums.

Feel No Shame stood up against all of those and songs like This Is, Loving Me Lately and Please Dont Stop were anthems for their years.

I kind of get what Fanning is saying and I wouldn't disagree that Aslan peaked with Feel No Shame.

But you could say the same about The Golden Horde and A House. I'd also say that his buddies U2 have barely released a decent tune in almost 20 years.

But today is not the day for that debate.

Christy deserves the many fine tributes being afforded to him. His fans loved him. And he had many fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Photobox

Your making me feel very nostalgic, saw all those bands too at the same time, every Friday night, we got to see a live band. Cry before dawn and in tua nua as well (not listed) Great times, RIP Christy.

• Advertisement

Cry Before Dawn were terrific.

Also bands like Light A Big Fire, The Power of Dreams, Whipping Boy, Fountainhead, Toasted Heretic, The Sawdoctors and The Sultans of Ping.

A great time for Irish music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

What’s changed since then that there’s not really any or many Irish bands now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

It was really bad. It’s one thing to trash his career but he also trivialised his childhood sexual abuse and suggested that he used that as an excuse to become an heroin addict. Disgraceful remarks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

Christy and Aslan kind of ruined concerts for me. The first concert I ever went to was in Drogheda, no idea who they were at the time but Aslan were the main act. I **** loved it. Christy up front doing his thing, belting out some class vocals and mesmorizing with the hand show! Never enjoyed another concert as much since. RIP Christy, you finally do get to rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,095 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭JKerova1

If they had one song that should have been a huge international hit for me it was Where's The Sun. I wouldn't rank Crazy World as one of their best and I don't think they did either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Just like football, you need recessions to foster musical talent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

I think Fanning was clumsy in how he made his point , Christy was an awful moaner, always something wrong with him ( he was near death allegedly ten years ago) and endless tales of woe , maybe some people sometimes thought he exaggerated a bit ?

That’s very true. Its pure hardship brings out the creativity. You make a very good point.

• Advertisement

I think if Dave Fanning was a young kid now he’d probably be diagnosed as somewhere on the spectrum.

As far as Daves concerned Christy Dignam was a moderately talented singer songwriter who was inclined to over share (probably the best way of putting it) and Dave wouldn’t know how to dress that up on the radio in a way that wouldn’t offend Christys fans.

He was equally frank when Gerry Ryan died. And he was a good friend of Gerry’s.

Dave is the go to person for RTÉ for pop music items because pop music is a science to him.

Advertisement