Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christy Dignam RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,338 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think Fanning was right to try to explain why he thinks they didn't make a bigger breakthrough with the music.

But the other stuff was OTT.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Was never a fan, but I saw them put on a free gig at the back of the Ilac Centre in 1988. They put on a great show in fairness, even if they made no money out of it.

I've always been an admirer of Dave Fanning, so this has really saddened me. Thought he'd be a much more compassionate voice.

We can hold whatever opinions we want, and I welcome the voicing of opinions that aren't the popular or acceptable ones, once they're well thought out and supported... but there are times when it's just not appropriate to express publicly such views. And when someone is dead two days, it's probably the best example of this. Never mind tedious social media edgelords - it isn't always admirable to "say what many people are thinking". I absolutely understand not wanting to be full of gushing praise when that's not how you feel, but then you decline from commenting. Or if you have to, just focus on the positives - things like "Aslan were super hardworking, Christy was a great singer/interpreter and fought serious personal struggles. If not for those bad times, Aslan could have been even bigger, but they were deeply loved by masses of Irish people".

Instead, Dave said repeatedly that Christy blew it, and that Aslan meant nothing, they were insignificant (seriously, of all people, I didn't think commercial success would mean that much to Dave). The man not even in the ground yet. After battling cancer for years - his family and friends dealing with profound loss and grief. Dave also took a swipe at RTE - despite having a dream job there (and other temporary jobs) for decades. A press pass that allowed him to interview the greatest musicians ever. All the gigs and records he could want. Opportunities to travel for work. A music lover's absolute paradise.

On Christy again, shockingly, Dave said he had his suspicions about Christy being sexually abused - at least to the extent that he said he was. And was so dismissive of the relationship between addiction and escape from the pain of trauma. You can think two things about heroin use - yes, on one level anyone is an eejit to go taking that filth. But then you consider individual context: you're traumatised by sexual abuse, you just want to numb the pain, you're living in Finglas which is rife with gear. An auld hit - just to feel better for a while, shur chance it. This makes perfect sense on a human level. And later, Christy fully acknowledged his agency in developing this devastating habit.

Dave doesn't seem to put heroin addiction in context. But he had an idyllic youth in South Dublin, attending Blackrock College and UCD. Nothing wrong with these, but it's a universe away from Christy's situation. He's in a bubble.

The backlash is full-on. I don't like Twitter pile-ons but I hope Dave takes another perspective with more empathy, because he was downright tone deaf and insensitive.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

He looks like such a rock star there. He was handsome - raven hair and killer cheekbones. The smack/methadone destroyed his looks, sadly, but not his voice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

A terrific tribute to a terrific talent that has meant so much to so many people.

The music carried me to safety through some very dark times. 'Gotta make it' having a particular poignancy for me.

His talent has touched so many people's lives. Gone but never forgotten. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam dílis.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭weadick

Great tribute from Bono on Brendan O'Connor this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭the 12 th man

Dave didn't read the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭spark_tank

I think the criticism is cheap. Christy had his issues and of course they affected the band. For people to be saying that Aslan should have been bigger or they should have been international, well it's a compliment really. I hear bands on the radio these days and I wonder why they're famous at all. Reminds me of the quote "I would much rather have men ask why I have no statue than why I have one".

It's time to celebrate and appreciate the success they've had. Christy and Aslan started at the bottom, writing songs in the bedroom like everyone else. Now you can start playing any of their hits in any pub or venue in the country and the crowd will finish them for you. Any young band or song writer out there would surely cut their arms off to achieve such recognition.

RIP Christy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,473 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Fair dues to the people of Finglas, they gave him a great send off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Jackiebt

I wasn't a big fan of their music but saw them a few times in the Royal Oak Finglas in the early 90s and it was always a great show, place was rocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,775 ✭✭✭✭walshb

A soft soul poor Christy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Like a previous poster said -Jaysis Dave Fanning must be on the spectrum

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

100%.

It's pure magic to be able to write songs that become part of the culture.

His songs will be sang in 100 years when we're all gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Fanning in his DJ pomp was a kind who were as big a celebs as rock musicians themselves, therefore he overestimated the importance of being asked to comment and was as subtle as a rhinoceros trying on a suit

• Registered Users Posts: 54,775 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Fanning was bit too eager to point out the negatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,082 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

He looked liked Micheal Hutchence in that photo. Sadly they have left this life far too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Just the comments as well being pre funeral , bit bizzare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I was never a huge Aslan fan and hate when people eulogise for the sake of it. But to be fair to Aslan, their music by international standards is right up there. They are the best Irish band ever, in terms of consistent quality output imo. "Fall on me" should be a huge international hit, yet it's hardly even known in the country.

Guitar based working class rock bands from the city are far and few between for some reason in this country, but Aslan were our Oasis or whoever you want to compare them to. How they never made it, even with their problems, I'll never know.

A genuinely top class rock band, and easily the best we've ever produced. Miles ahead of Lizzy in output and quality, and everyone else for that matter. Hopefully people will give them a listen now.

If you can't sit down and turn your volume up and be blown away hearing Fall on Me for the first time, music ain't for you!

I got into aslan around the same time I got into the verve...they have a special place in heart.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Fanning’s been making that same point about Aslan for the last 20 years though, his opinions are well known. I don’t know if that’s why RTE asked him to comment or whatever but his views aren’t news. He wasn’t being clumsy either, Fanning’s always been up his own hole. Another poster mentioned the Beatbox which used be on RTE on Sunday mornings, presented by a few different DJs over the years, and then Fanning presented 2TV, thought of himself as too good for that too -

In 2000, Fanning admitted that he did no work on the show and that he did not like most of the music he played on it. This was not however the reason for its cancellation as he also said he would continue presenting it. Fanning described it as "not rocket science, it's moron television", saying he "hardly even knew where the 2TV office was, and that's God's honest truth".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2TV

The comparisons to U2 are silly, plenty of Irish bands didn’t want to ‘make it big’, they just wanted to make music and express themselves, and that’s why Aslan were as popular in rural Ireland as they were in Dublin - there was scarcely a venue in the country they hadn’t played in and everyone who came in contact with him has stories of the genuine warmth, grounded attitude and class that Christy Dignam had, something which Dave Fanning has always lacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Did Fanning ever criticize his coked up friend Gerry Ryan for not making it big abroad?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

If they had of 'made it big internationally' poor Christy might of gone a lot earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 85,441 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Did Dave knock Gerry Ryan when he died about his cocaine use, Christy in fairness was always open and honest, even if too honest

RIP Christy

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Jackiebt

I was flicking through the channels a good few years ago and stopped at a kind of reality show in Asia somewhere, think it was Japan but not sure. Anyway, this was a show with a twist, it was a group of recovering drug addicts being put through the mills by monks. So I watched as some told their story and then were doing deep cleanses, puking into buckets, saunas, meditation etc, then, out of the blue they went to interview this fella hitting a punch bag sweating bullets and yes, you've guessed it was Christy lol. Didn't expect to see him on the show as I said stumbled across it by accident.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,152 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Never got to see Aslan live - they were due to play Liverpool a few years ago, but was cancelled at the last minute. I can’t remember if that was due to the pandemic or Christy’s health, or both.

All this talk about how Aslan ‘could have been bigger than U2’ or ‘what might have been had Christy not screwed up’ doesn’t matter one iota…the love you Irish have shown towards him (not just on boards) is more than enough to justify their existence.

You are very lucky and should be very proud to call Christy one of your own, by all accounts a true gent and an all-round good guy.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Fanning is an out and out hypocrit. He whinged and moaned and protected his mate Gerry Ryan when he died even though the whole country knew he was on coke. Puts the boot in here though. Another deluded RTE "star".

• Registered Users Posts: 37,939 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

How come 'Crazy World' was always played twice live for a lot of gigs ?

From hearing them they were slightly different versions but the band had so much in the catalogue they could of played instead of repeating it. 'She's so beautiful' was left out a lot

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Dave Fanning has rethought his comments after listening back to the piece (and after RTE received lots of bad feedback and 4 official complaints)

Advertisement