Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slane

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I went to a Beyoncé concert about 10 years ago in the Point/O2/O3 depot (went with herself) and while she was amazing and all that, it was one of the most frustrating gigs I’ve ever been to in my life…

She’d do a song, and then disappear for 5 minutes while some videos played of her and her kids, then come out in an completely different costume and do another song, then disappear again for another 5 minutes…… for the whole fcuking show… the gig just had no rhythm… so I’d say definitely not an act for Slane… (not sure if Madonna did some the similar when she headlined…. On a Sunday)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Agreed.and none of that smashing hotel room ,sulking, going into rehab , coming out of rehab fukology that all these so called rock heros did in the past. He gave a solid 2 hours on Saturday and has probably put in more concert shifts in the last 6 years than all those 'rock legends " did in 10 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was about to say the same thing. The outfit changes were stupid. I can’t remember if it was her or destiny’s child I saw but it was shite! No interest in seeing her again.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Kilteragh

Agreed. I'm more into my classic rock and 80s pop but Harry makes it onto my spotify every so often. Some great tunes and a fantastic voice. His version of sledgehammer is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭babynice

I was at Slane on for the first time Saturday and I thought it was absolutely brilliant. Harry Styles put on a great show and the atmosphere in Slane was fantastic.

Can’t understand the negativity around Harry performing in Slane. He was able to sell it out, the fans enjoyed it so why not. Each to their own. God forbid they’d put a show that appeals to a younger crowd or even women!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Styles is the most micromanaged artist in the world.

He literally goes nowhere without a team of managers and reps.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭Fanirish

U2 members arent accompanied by management wherever they go, Styles literally goes nowhere without some rep.

He is a puppet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Mick Jagger travels about with an entourage aswell.

• Advertisement

What are you talking about, bono has entourage with him everywhere and sure Paul mcguinness was stuck to u2 for 30 plus years like a shadow.

every superstar has entourage of security,assistant, manager with them all times during a worldwide tour.

I didnt say during a world tour, I said almost at all times !

Off tour and on tour.

sure he needs security 24-7 with his fandom, and shocker a lot of the times that celebrities are out in public it is for a business purpose like a fashion industry event, film premiere etc.

they are present because they are working. So naturally they have a PR person/manager/security with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

They did... Until Francis Rossi destroyed them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I am not really a fan, the odd song of theirs I like, but their concerts and live performances are meant to be epic. So surely they would be a good choice for Slane if their show can be delivered in a huge non-stadium amphitheater. Muse.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Now that is a good call.

Biffy Clyro , Fontaines DC , The Strokes and INcubus....

Now THAT is a day out !! 😛

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

massive fan of muse and they are excellent live but couldnt see them selling enough tickets for slane

I wouldn't be a massive Muse fan myself, but am aware they have an absolutely huge devoted following, but would it be enough to fill SLane? Doubtful (unless the support acts were also quite big).

I think we are at a point where there are only really 2 options that could fill Slane these days...

• A: The Legacy (rock) act (who've been around for years) - The likes of Paul McCartney, AC/DC, The Rolling Stones, Elton John, GnR, Foo Fighters, Metallica, Chili's, U2 etc... (the latter of which have all done recent enough shows in Slane). If McCartney did it, I'd be there in a flash, and if he put on half the show he did in Glastonbury, I'd be delighted..
    • B: the newer modern acts that are just too popular to not fill it (and in this sense, it's mostly pop acts) - Styles being a prime example, maybe Billie Eilish too?

Everything else, I'm not so sure if they'd be big enough to sell the place out.. Killers, Arcade Fire, Kings of Leon (are they still going?), though these would all be great support acts for a big hitter doing Slane.

Paul McCartney is an aiken act so can rule him out. Rds if he tours again here. Elton John Is retired. don’t think Gun n roses could fill it again.

Metallica not option for 2024 as touring 2 nights in a venue set up.

homestly i think hassle of Slane would put off likes Rollong stones fans.

foo fighters would be aviva at this point unless very very strong supports which I don’t see happening.

AC\DC possible especially as next world tour will realistically be their last given health issues etc.

a lot of the big pop acts stage designs don’t suit a bowl like Slane. Taylor Swift stage for example is nearly Length of football field. Stadiums are easier task on a technical/operational level

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The Cure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,307 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

If i had a Cure tribute act , id call it Prevention.

Cos everyone Knows "Prevention is better than The Cure ".....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Wouldn’t have a hope in selling 80,000 tickets.

20,000-30,000 is their max demand here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,282 ✭✭✭✭fits

And the people who’d buy them wouldn’t want the hassle of slane.

Yeah, the hassle of Slane is largely a youthful experience.

the amount of people moaning about gun n roses in marlay park last year means no getting those people to suffer Slane. Unless it’s a once in a decade show like Metallica or ac/D.C. final show here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

Brian Johnson is back with AC/DC and their first shows in seven years will be at the "Power Trip" Festival in October alongside Iron Maiden at the Coachella site. Back in 2009 at Punchestown there were loads of younger people there - the getting home that night I'll never forget - and I know they played Aviva 2014 - but we're now almost ten years on and I'd wonder about the demographic. Would the older crew make the trek to Slane? Would younger punters be interested? I reckon despite the band's advancing years I still think it would be an incredible show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

ACDC always put on an incredible show. It's as simple as it gets and the better for it. What Henry was thinking in 2009, I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Not a massive Blur fan actually, a fan of real bands headlining big festivals.

My issue of contention was more in relation to some believing Blur couldn't sell out Slane. Absolute drivel. Were they awake in the 90s?..

With Damon Albarn leaving for Gorillaz, it's clear to see how many people forget how big Blur were.

I lived the 90s, few bands hit the heights Blur reached, ever! They were everywhere for over a decade. How anyone can argue or downplay just how big they were literally baffles me.

If Blur decide to do Slane, it sells out, no questions asked. An absolute giant of the British music scene, who hold a standing arguably never matched by another British band.

As I said, there's levels to this. Blur rank in a top tier, above most bands you can think off

I like Blur but not so sure if they are a Slane level band….. They are playing Malahide Castle next weekend, and in 2023 I’d say that’s probably the level of venue they should be playing…. (I’m not even sure if it’s sold out)

it’s AC/DC or nothing for Slane now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Jaffa3000

Arctic Monkeys would sell it after a few years away

• Advertisement

I’m not so sure if they’d be Slane headliner material…. A great support act yes, but not so sure if they’d have the ooomph to sell 80,000 tickets!

as I’ve said a few times now, all roads lead to AD/DC in my mind…. You’d like to think the band would be well up for it too…. Record it and release it as a live concert film…

I’ve never seen them live and the thoughts of going to Slane again do not appeal to me anymore, but for AC/DC, I’d make an exception…

Advertisement