Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Is there any word on reidy? Big fan of his and would love to see him back

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭caddy16

Rest players for an All Ireland quarter final, are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Heard he was back playing with Eire Og to get some fitness back. Only second-hand information.

Just saw the challange on Tony Kelly. Dead cert free. No doubt. Very poor referee decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Yes, that's why I said it.. have to change up something or we will be losing the Kilkenny anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Kk are nothing special and we owe them after last year.

Clare panel is stronger this year and dont think they will be physically drained like they were last year.

Clare arent going to be going in v kk as such fancied favs either.

Of course have to get over probably Dublin first which certainly can't take for granted. Should offer to play Dublin in croke Park as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Hindsight is 20/20 but those opportunities before half time look crucial now. Ye had them ragged just before half time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

100% in years to come the idea of giving them home advantage will look stupid , the idea of not changing cian nolan earlier looks crazy against the best forward in the country that has just found form again , the wides will be talked about but we only had 12

we are just after losing to the joint best team to ever come out of munster and people will find holes to pick at left right and center , and while liam gordon was wise to adam hogans antics tony should have got a free, no guarantee we would have won it in extra time

Ps did you get one of the comfy seats on the halfway line in the macky stand , not a fan of mundy i take it ....ye were late coming in 😂

Once I heard about Mundy I said I’d settle for the soft seats of a pub.

i taught you might have been a sharon shannon man and stick it out 😂

that was the narrative last july until we pucked 24 balls wide against them , we need to look at ourselves first before we go shooting down anyone else

• Advertisement

i genuinly think we need to drop Fitzgerald and Duggan , move diarmuid ryan into a wing forward position ( which might sound crazy) start morey at wing back or even nolan or flanagan , , ryan has a serious range for scores but really struggles in marking players , i gave him both barrels of it after the cork game

shanagher is a way better fielder then duggan in fairness and needs to start , it will also kick the boys up the arse , it definatly worked for ian galvin who had gone flat in the group stage but made a huge impact today

nolan might be getting the blame today but i dont hear anything about mike casey , his man scored 1-2 from play today , one point less then cian nolan

as dalo said this evening on the sunday game to tom Morrissey , therir is a lot of water to flow under the bridge yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I wouldn't drop Fitzgerald. Although he wasn't at his best and only got 2 points yesterday, we do need him if we're gonna challenge for the All-Ireland. When it clicks for him he's very dominant and can score 4/5 points.

Dropping Duggan would be a bold move, and I thought he did OK yesterday. Not brilliant or anything but OK.

But I do often wonder why Shanagher hasn't gotten more chances over the year. I'd be happy for him to get a start v Dublin.

Morey did well, might be pushing to start the next day.

I wonder also was A.McCarthy just not fit enough for 70 mins or taken off for a poor game?

And Shane Meehan just hauled back off after 20 mins ? See how he was so ruthless with him but Nolan stayed on for 50 mins.

Maybe Conor Cleary could be fit in 2 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Bringing Shanagher on and taking McCarthy off seem to be regular moves. Wonder are there concerns about the stamina of both.

There were a few bad decisions on the line yesterday and a few players will be disappointed, but overall there's not too much wrong with Clare. Realistically it would have gone to extra time but for a refereeing blunder that there was no time to recover from. And that's against a team that has won three All Irelands in a row and had home advantage.

Also, Cathal Malone is criminally underappreciated. Fierce hard work done yesterday, especially in the first half, when he broke up attacks, won rucks and pass the ball to team mates in better positions. A lot of what he does goes unnoticed, but really the media should be pointing out how important he is.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

There was a few big things that cost us the match.

• Nolan being left on Gillane and no changes in front, he was completely exposed everytime the ball was played in, I wouldn't blame Nolan as he was sticking tight to his man, the fact there was so much space in front was the problem, because Cleary is so physically big he can slow down the forward, he might concede a few frees. The problem here is no alternative to Cleary has been tried for the past 2 years so we're caught. No offence to Dublin but I don't think their full forward is up to the level of Gillane so I'd say leave Cleary off to get Nolan a bit more expierence.
    • TK wasn't at his usual levels, this is a high standard I know but he was blocked down twice when he really shouldn't have been and had a few bad wides (especially from a long distance free).
    • 3 was our free taking, TK isn't a natural free taker, he doesn't take them for his club, McCarthy being subbed while lining up to take a free was a big risk in my opinion.
    • SoD was running like a headless chicken at some times, he seemed more interested in looking for contact than space.
    • Taylor had a brilliant start but seemed to disappear

I don't think yesterday's defeat was as catastrophic as last years one, we didn't leave everything out there just to pull up short, if anything we left the game behind us so we can work on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭thesultan

Clare diving caught up with them with not getting a free at the end. They are prone to diving and I'm guessing Gordon thought I'm not buying this..

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭dohboy

Is it looking like a double header in Croker the next day out?

Gordon got it wrong twice in about three seconds. A frontal charge is a free,, even if you think the player we diving.. A referee that prejudges a free on the basis of what may or may not have happened in a previous match is not fit to referee. I doubt Gordon did so. I think he was rattled after the pitch invasion and panicked.

Nolan on Gillane was a problme. Lohan has a backroom team that should be telling him to change Nolan after the booking. Get another player on there and sacrifice another booking if necessary. Asking Nolan to be Conor Cleary was a big as.

TK was definitley not on top form but, he also burned up Hannon in the game early on. Yet he got 4 points from play. Getting blocked twice is not like him, but again, Limk had their homework done on how Kelly strikes the ball and how to get in for a block

Disagree re O'Donnell. He's a ball winner, and a Limerick had a deliberate, and legit tactic of crowding him out. Probably our best player in the game.

Taylor was somewhat marked out of it also but did huge work.

There is a problem with our shape. Duggan and Rogers were on the 14 and 21. It seemed like we want to isolate Rogers and to work of Duggan. Problem with that is that we had less scoring power up front and i would guess we went deeper to cover cleary loss.

Our long range free taking is not good enough to nail games.

Our ability to work a goal-scoring position is not good against better teams.

We are predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,364 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Anyone know if the Clare footballers have lost (m)any who've headed off to America considering ye've nothing to play for in this last group game?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Jizique

I'd say he had 1998 and Jimmy Cooney flashing through his head and just wanted to end it asap, given time was up anyway

• Advertisement

He was entitled to blow it up just before the pitch invasion in fairness,

We have a huge issue with composure in front of goal that seriously needs rectifying, it cost us against Kilkenny last year with 24 wides , and 17 against cork in 2018

Sunday we had only 12 but dropped 6 short we had the beating of Limerick other than that

It's no good having the beating of a Team and not following up on it , to rectify it we need to have it sorted by Saturday week win that and have it perfected by July 9

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭supernova5

inaccuracy is the one recurring theme that's been haunting Clare hurling for decades and when you break it all down its probably one of the main reasons for our lack of success

we are now entering pre 1995 levels of Munster final failure, something has to change, perhaps they should consider getting on board the very best sports psychologist money can buy, what would it take to lure Ms. Currid into our ranks?

Or even the next best available, It worked wonders for Limerick especially the younger lads on the team,

Shooting is a serious problem too but I think it's an issue that needs to be worked on from juvenile up a lot more

If it's a psychological issues it suggests that perhaps they cannot take chances on a big occasion in a tight game.

We did shoot some poor wides at the weekend. But don't forget we did just beat both Cork and Limerick by a single point in this year's round robin.

We also shot a lot of wides v Kilkenny last year, but don't forget our forward line was absolutely cleaned out so lads were taking shots from very long range.

Limerick also shoot poor wides at times.

Just not sure it's really psychological.

Anyone? @windy shepard henderson? Wondering if it's worth backing Derry @ -9? It's a huge spread but if Clare are missing a few, it might be worth a punt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭finbarrk

I'm not asking ye to and I wouldn't blame you!!! Just looking for some info for my own purposes

Clare footballers can be kind of unpredictable. Brilliant when not expected, and very poor when expectations are raised.

Keep your money in your pocket I'd say, and 9 points is a huge spread as you mention yourself.

• Advertisement

Personally I don't think it will be far off that , a number of players have left the panel since the Munster final and particularly the Donegal game

I know a good few of the players were at the Munster final last week I met a few before and after the game, I can't say what some of them were drinking but I doubt the Derry boys were at the same craic

Derry need to put up a good score too after they drew against Monaghan in round 1they are still both level on scoring difference so I imagine they will be going all out to make sure they top the group

The last 3 meetings have been 9 points, 14 points and 10 points in Derrys favour I would imagine they won't be far off that again

Advertisement