Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion part 2 , No Purple Jumpers Allowed !!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭supernova5

superb team display, great composure, skill and very high work rate, Galway have 3/4 great individuals Clare are the definition of a proper team. huge kudos to every single person involved, the team are a joy to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Figerty

Brilliant at denying the ball on the ground using the hurley correctly. No slapping in, just great flicks and touches to space to deny possession. Great use of subs today when they were needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

the performances of gunning, evan price ,ronan kilroy mathew O'Halloran were Absolut top class , some of the scores from the likes of collins and obrien in the first half and the excellent james heagerty in the second were brilliant , the goal heagerty got was lucky but it was deserved luck , in fairness , the work rate in the middle 3rd in that heat today was unreal , the scores late on by harry doherty and eoin carey put the icing on the cake , the clarecastle lad is only 15 and carey from cratloe a year older , fred hegerty came on also and made some impact he is underage again next year also

the future is looking very bright indeed , i wrote off our chances today due to the brilliance of the galway forwards , but hurling is always about workrate by god did they put in some shift today

delighted fpr brian oconnell , just over 10 years ago he surrendered his clare senior captains armband in the middle of hi career to seek work in austrailia , had he stayed around a couple of more years and he could have had an all ireland in his back pocket . long over due but he has one tonight

disappointing day in clones for the footballers as they exit the championship with a game remaining,

in what was a fantastic game of football from start to finish , a 69th minute goal by conor mccarthy was the difference , manus doherty , jamie malone,darragh bohannon, cathal o connor ,keelans and emmett mcmahon all excellent

1-18 is some scoring with no eoin cleary , gavin cooney, cian o dea , podge injured at half time and darren oneill only featured briefly . we have the makes of a really good team but we need to sort out the consistency , we never came out of the dressing room in the 2nd half two weeks ago and we are out tonight as a result

todays performance shows we can be there abouts with anyone we just need to produce it more often

we have gone from a ban on purple jumpers and any 1970s St Bernard attire on here to the cult hero status of Kieran Keating and the current county board , brilliant people and at the home coming tonight the kilbaha native led the way , tip of the hat to michael o'connor, Dierdre Chaplin , and Deirdre Murphy , leadership starts from the top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,123 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Yeah, our full back line shutting down Niland and co. obviously a huge part of it.

I also felt that Galway struggled a lot when we pressured their short puck-outs, the goalie looked a bit jitterty the whole time and they never really sorted it out. I wonder what sort of intensity were the games in Leinster. Great work rate from the Clare lads, starting from the forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

There's no doubt that Galway had a straight forward run through Leinster and were never really challenged like yesterday, but nothing Galway can do about that. Maybe next year Leinster will be more competitive.

Galway did beat Cork in the semi final so it's not like they came outta Leinster and weren't able to deal with what came out of Munster.

Yesterday Clare were just better all round the field and more than deserving winners. Hopefully the start of more success for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Iecrawfc

Well done to Clare minors, there's some very talented lads coming through, when ye get underage development together like 2009 onwards ye have masses of talent, from a limerick POV only consolation were they were the only team to get a win against them in this campaign.

Ahead of the senior game, as usual very little coming out of the camp.

I'd imagine Cleary is the only likely change from the last game. Although he hasn't yet been ruled out so you'd never know.

They could always strap up the good shoulder, to confuse those Limerick boys...

Doing non contact training all last week but wether or not it's too soon is another thing

Only good thing is we have had the extra few weeks to Come up with a plan B

• Advertisement

"What's the recovery time?

How long it takes to recover depends on the extent of the injury, and whether you undergo surgery. If your dislocation is fairly simple, your shoulder joint will improve over a few weeks.

The greatest risk during healing for any shoulder dislocation is returning to activities before the shoulder is stable, even though you may be feeling pretty good. Resuming activities too quickly can lead to injury or possible repeat dislocation."

😐️

These clashes with Limerick tend to be extremely physical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I remember Limerick targetting Seanin McMahons strapped up shoulder.. except Loughnane had made sure the wrong one looked strapped!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Different times I'm afraid, back then Limerick didn't think of looking at the video to check what shoulder it is, now opposition know how each player ties their boots 😁

Ya, heat of the moment for a few Limerick lads on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭PIORUN

looking to swap a Clare end adult and juvenile ticket for City end guys if anyone interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭PIORUN

tickets swapped this morning...

i think the clubs got the last of the tickets tonight , sell out almost confirmed

Unchanged team named, so including Cleary at full back. Not that we can read much into that though.

Clare’s Conor Cleary winning race to play part in Munster final | Independent.ie

Interesting that article also says "Should Cleary miss out, Lohan will likely parachute either Cian Nolan, Séadna Morey or Paul Flanagan into the full-back line....."

Also, Keith Smyth brought straight into the 26-man match day squad from the U20s, I assume he's been doing some training with the seniors....difficult match for him to come into, mind you

Post edited by keeponhurling on

• Advertisement

We are in dangerous tertiary with the new st adians NS song , the workplace of big john and former stomping ground of ger loughnane

while the song is excellent it sails very close to the wind of one of the finest sub pop records of all time by the knife , later a smash hit for Jose Gonzales

it reminds me of the song for ireland episode of FR Ted , no one is going to notice until someone starts whistling it in the elevator in croke pk later on in the year , the last thng we need now is to have to knock the seated stand and rebuild it to the same scale and size just to pay off someone else's debts off ...again 🤣

to start off with , keith smyth is drafted in as cover if we enter 2017 level of wides from frees , especially late on , he's probably better now then what colin ryan was at his age

cant see cleary see out the full game , i imagine the limerick boys will test out the shoulder from the word go , i would still imagine david mc would slot in to that position , john Coneeley was probably one of the best defenders in the championship last year , but too big a game for a 19 year old to make his debut

hard to know whats going to happen exactly , but totally different game from last June in thurles , the injuries limerick have are huge , they have improved week on week since we beat them and back to scoring points in the mid 30s , but you cant replace lynch and possibly Hegarty

imagine clare going in sunday without aidan mccarthy and tony , seismic injuries in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭lim4ev

Too much pub talk I was listening to last night, I know lynch is carrying a hamstring or the effects of one , but I heard hegarty was carrying some knock as well

looking forward now to tomorrow , was totally against the idea of giving them home advantage two weeks ago , but in truth it seems to be a slight master stroke , it has put added pressure on the home side to polish off the five in a row , it has both counties in a frenzy and after the last 3 championship meetings there has been no more then a puck of a ball between the sides

this is one of them games that has all the hall marks of next score wins hurling as the game hits the 70th minute tomorrow , i feel we will have to score more then 1-24 or 0-27 points to win this , 30 points needs to be our target and hope its enough , limerick are starting to hit the groove now and were back scoring 3-25 against cork which is top level stuff for any team we cant let them anywhere near 34 points if we want to have a chance

the players we need the most to perform tomorrow are the likes of cathal malone , ryan taylor , david mc and david ryan and especially young hogan and rory hayes in the two corners , if cleary starts i cant see him playing out a full game no matter how bullish he is , i expect a huge performance from conlon and i dont think that is under any question

we have plenty of scorers up front , but this is a game for grafters and we will have to work as hard as we ever have before to get over the line , if we hit the 30 point mark Mick Macky will spend his next 12 months in his old stomping ground of Ardnacrusha and surroundings where he worked most of his life , i imagine he would love this current trilogy of games between the sides over the last 10 years especially and particularly the last 4 or 5 years , be it as player , manager umpire or supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭chases0102

I have 2 Clare End tickets tomorrow, looking to swap for 2 City End tickets - pm me if interested please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

I hear David Attenborough is bringing out a documentary on him next year

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Devastated this evening. But we left it behind us with all the silly wides. Can't be hard on the lads as they give us so much but that really needs working on. We need to find a proper free taker from somewhere and I've love to hear Lohan's reasons for leaving nolan in on Gillane for so long. It was abvious from the word go that Gillane had is number in all aspects of the game. I think it was something like 1-4 just after half time that nolan coughed up. Once the change was made things closed up somewhat.

For the qf if like to see a few rested maybe and get the heads right for the semi final if we come theough

• Advertisement

Don't assume we can rest people. Dublin drew with Galway. There isn't a huge gap that we can assume will remain in our favour. Tipp got caught with Waterford.

We need a long-range free taker or we need to stop taking potshots from 90 yards out.

Leaving Nolan on was a gamble and it didn't work, but let's be very fair to Nolan, no fullback can defend some of the balls Gillane got. diagonal balls at speed the forward are difficult to defend,, with Gillane, it's about denying space when he gets the ball. Cleary would have struggled today.

The other thing is that we are predictable now.. we almost know who is coming on and going off on a stopwatch.

I hope David Reidy is nearing recovery at this stage, we need that type of player now to carry the challenge. Playing Duggan and Rogers as a two-man full forward line will struggle to work. Neither are fast enough to cover the space to the corners for the type of balls we should be playing.. the balls that Gillane gets. The issue for me is that midfield distribution isn't at the level it needs to be.

We could have won by 5 points today.. 4 of those were lost when we failed to score after the goal and point. We had them rattled right there.

No other team left in the championship has a centre back like Hannon who is burning oil. It's very obvious that he's struggling with the pace of the game.

Advertisement