Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septoplasty: anyone else had it?

Options
  • 14-12-2022 11:26pm

I have been scheduled for this surgery in April, having been assessed by an ENT surgeon as having a severely deviated septum. Have been suffering pain & pressure around right maxillary area nonstop, recurrent infections, post nasal drip, constant need to breath by mouth, very disturbed sleep. I’ve no allergies detected, so surgeon expects a good result, and says he particularly enjoys slightly challenging work like my own case.

Surgeon knows I’m well clued in, have googled it, You Tubed it etc, so know a reasonable bit of what to expect. He also knows I’m unable to take nsaids. 

I’ve had several major surgeries before, to remove colon, to remedy bowel strangulation, knee replacement, as well as other surgeries, so no stranger to a bit of the surgical wars & major complications. But no fan of it either!

Has anyone else undergone this procedure and if so, what has been your own experience and any advice you can offer?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Raoul

Interested in this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭victor8600

I had septoplasty at 40. The operation was done under the general anesthesia. One day recovery in the hospital (Hermitage clinic), then around 2 weeks recovery at home. I was given prescription painkillers, which I took for 2 days. After that, I just felt dull pain/discomfort and did not need painkillers. I could work (in the office) after 5 days, but felt tired more easily for a month or so. Results -- much better sleep, easier breathing in general, I can actually go for a few km run without gasping for air like a fish out of the water.

Post edited by victor8600 on

That sounds great. My surgeon says I’ve about 100% blockage on right side and he looks forward to the challenge of repairing it, it’s his favourite operation of all of them. I get recurrent maxillary infections of that side, post nasal drip etc, but no common allergies so he believes it will be very successful.

Do they do a rhinoplasty too at the same time? If I was to get it done I would like my nose to look straight also

I think it would be two separate operations. Please ask your surgeon, it might be possible and then let us know though!

• Advertisement

I don't have to go back any time soon. Just over a different major surgery. So this is not going to be for a while yet. I read on the internet some surgeons can do it. I wish I thought it is when I was in his office.

I returned to my surgeon this afternoon to get the splints removed 2 weeks after the septoplasty and I am mighty pleased with the results! Can breath through nose for first time since I don’t know when.

Surgeon said it was a tricky surgery for him as the deviation was right back in the bones and he had to do a fair bit of chiselling to reset all that before working on the cartilage. In spite of that it was only painful immediately when I woke up, was given immediate injections of oxynorm & OxyContin and that did me rest of day. After that a bit of Solpadeine was all that was needed. A straightforward & successfully surgery! 😀

Please keep us updated a few weeks down the line.

I think everything is in place in my nasal cavity, it’s amazingly even & functional!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I had one done a few years ago. It was a game changer. Headaches and snutter noses gone. The theatre nurse gave me a good tip do nasal douches. Baking soda , sodium bicarbonate, is your friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,681 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I am having both septum and bump fixed / tip reduced next week. Mainly looking forward to being able to breathe through my nose but also it will be nice to have the bump (result of a break 18 years ago) gone.

Nervous about the recovery but it will be good to get it all over with

Surgeon Tom Moran (lovely guy) said mine was a very tricky op as a lot of none had to be repositioned, it I can absolutely say with confidence it was once of the most straightforward things I ever had done and the result is incredible. My sleep pattern is enormously improved, even my Apple Watch denotes this.

I woke up with a bit of a pain in the face, as you can imagine, but within 3 minutes of telling the nurse I had two injections administered, Oxynorm to immediately relieve virtually all pain, and OxyContin to maintain that action for rest of day. Kept in hospital til evening, let home. Comfortable and relaxed throughout. Simple Solpadeine a couple of times a day over next few days. Worst discomfort was from the essential splint as it all healed. I used Neilmed Sinus Rinse from Boots twice a day to clean out the inevitable clots and encrustations, I still use that a couple of months on as the encrustations gradually decrease, almost down to nothing, but I love to enjoy the 100% inprovement! That keeps getting better and better and better! It’s a fantastically efficacious op, even if you might not quite think so right at the beginning!

That’s really good to hear all has healed so well. And great to hear of the sleep improvement :) Im looking forward to that too.

I’m staying in overnight which I don’t mind as I think I’d be nervous by myself in the aftermath. As mine is rhinoplasty as well, it’s a double whammy. But will be so worth it if all goes well.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

you’ll have more bruising of course, but that fades quickly. I fell bang on my nose in March from a severe fall that knocked me out for some time and caused a large amount of bleeding. My bone got further displaced by that fall, but very surprisingly though I had a swollen purple nose and facial swelling and bruising there was little pain. I was much more concerned about my inability to walk and balance which seems to be from MS.

All went well with my surgery, got the bandage off and stitches out today. It’s still very swollen but I can already see the difference. Far less painful than I imagined. In fact, the most painful part was getting the stitches out (I was told this would have been better had I put more Vaseline on the area but I was afraid to touch it too much). It’s still very much in the healing phase so I can’t tell much of a difference to breathing yet as it all feels fairly blocked inside, except that both sides feel the same now (previously one was far more blocked than the other). Glad to have it over with and be out the other side :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm going in for this next week. Wondering how the recovery was and what you were advised etc? Is it painful or just annoying? How long before it felt ok, and then normal again?

• Advertisement

When did you find the breathing improved? I still feel fairly blocked 9 days post op.

Not before two weeks as far as I remember, maybe longer. Ask your surgeon, in my case couple of weeks after the procedure, the surgeon used some long tweezer tool to snip some connective tissue/scar inside the nasal cavity (not sure what it was) and shortly after that it was all good.

That sounds terrifying! But would be worth it of course. It can take weeks to improve so I’ll ask at my next appointment which is in three weeks time. Thanks.

I’m not sure if I’ve posted already but it was the best thing I’ve had. That and baking soda has been a godsend.

the Septoplasty . I can now blow my nose and clear my sinuses

How long did it take post op for you to feel clear?

Fair. I don’t have that feeling yet but I have read online or can sometimes take weeks and surgeon said that too.

• Advertisement

i only needed my right nostril done , so I could still drain from my left .

Advertisement