Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Septoplasty: anyone else had it?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Had the surgery yesterday for 3rd degree deviated septum. When I woke up I felt I could breath better. Today I woke up and extremely blocked and it's bleeding a lot. I'd love to just blow my nose to clear but obviously I cant. It's pretty horrible I can't wait for it to go away. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

No tips really but as someone who had the surgery nearly 20 years ago you’ll wonder how you didn’t have it sooner. I was very sick the day or two after it, and my nose was tender but in my case it wasn’t that bad. I took two weeks off school at the time but I can’t remember anything after being very bad.

Don’t worry about the breathing for the moment, that will take months, but you won’t know yourself.

My breathing is now completely clear, the crusting has finally stopped. Was done April, so it takes 3 months or so to get the final result of a simple septoplasty.

You can see the extent and complexity of the deviation, he had to reset bone at the back to get it aligned. But as far as I was concerned the most uncomfortable thing was the splints, but it was still perfectly tolerable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So I had my surgery 2 months ago and it's great I can finally breath properly. I was worried that I wouldn't experience any significant change, but actually I'm very happy I can certainly breathe an awful lot better. The first week was pretty horrible mainly because you just want to blow your nose and you can't, but also you're so stuffed up and have to breath through your mouth. So sleeping for the first week is tough, waking up many times a night having to drink water because you're mouth is so dehydrated. That went away after about 10 days and after that it was much better it took over a month maybe 6 weeks until breathing felt normal again, and I felt like I could take a proper breath that I haven't done in years. If you're thinking about it just get it done you'll be glad you did!

• Advertisement

It keeps improving, I believe e that improvement can continue for months. My nasal breathing is really good now, far less headaches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sk777

Hi, a consultant advised me that I have a deviated septum and I could have surgery if I wanted, didn't make a suggestion either way. I have a few symptoms (loud snoring, labour slightly to breath through nose, poor sense of smell, dry mouth after sleeping, feel that my nose is blocked quite easily, I sometimes feel a bit of pressure behind my eye when blowing my nose) but these are each quite mild. I can't remember not having a deviated septum and I am almost completely blocked on one side of my nose. 

I was wondering if thought that it would be worth going through the surgery and recovery for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 sk777

I had a septoplasty and turbinoplasty done 2 weeks ago. I was nervous about the surgery but it was absolutely fine. I felt no pain at all really. I returned after one week and when the doctor removed the splint it felt so strange being able to breathe through both nostrils. I was just tired for a couple of weeks but other than that it was fine.

I was almost 100% blocked in one nostril and not sure how long I have had it. Maybe 10 years or more. As it wasn't causing any obvious serious health issues I was considering not doing the surgery, but I'm delighted I did. I had issues with snoring, dry mouth every morning, congestion for pretty much the whole winter every year and a doctor thought it might be causing a post nasal drip as I had a persistent cough.

Since the surgery I feel great when I wake up in the mornings, hangovers are nowhere near as bad, not clearing my nose or throat at all really. I also think my sense of smell is improving. The doctor was happy with the results and said it will continue to improve for a couple of months.

If anyone is putting this off because it sounds daunting, don't. I had wisdom teeth taken out in the past and that was a much worse recovery (even though that wasnt too bad either).

I second that, it is not anything as daunting as might be imagined. The stuffing sensation of the splints is the “worst” but perfectly tolerable. People who have had this op generally have have sinus infections galore and are more than able for a short-lived “final infection”‘sort of experience if you must describe it that way!

by the way, after you’ve had it done you use that NeilMed sinus wash available in Boots. Get used to using it ahead, maybe. Don’t worry about the horrible red snot post-op, that is normal and fine, nothing to be concerned about 😃

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
Advertisement