Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar for Dummies.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, they are all different in physical dimensions. Best off measuring what's already there and pick one to physically match on midsummer, but you should also check that the electrical specs aren't significantly different to what you already have (you will need a model number to check that though!). Also decide whether you want a black or silvered finish (silvered is the one which shows the silver lines between the individual 7cm x 5cm cells). You can go with a larger wattage panel if the voltage specs roughly match, you just won't benefit from the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭Ginger83

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭DC999

Adding to what slave1 said. Do you have a smart meter now? If so, ignore the battery and get paid for the FIT export. ~20c a unit. Then charge the car on a cheap EV night rate.

Do you have a Zappi now? If so, change that to charge on Eco++ so it only charges during the day when there is a spare 1.4kW or more available. Zappi constantly checks if there is spare excess and throttles up or down immediately. Then also have a nightly schedule to charge during the cheap EV night rate.

I don’t have a battery. Sure, if the money tree was around I’d have one. But it’s ok without it.  

Bear in mind once you move to a smart tariff on a smart meter, you can never move to a 24hr one. The peak rate on those is rough, so you’d want to reduce the usage during that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭micks_address

I guess it's hard to tell from the pictures.. I've searched for 370 watt ja panels but don't see any in stock locally..

A question due to curiosity

If someone has solar pv with batteries and thought about a wind turbine to supplement winter power can the solar inverter be used? If not can the turbine be used to charge the batteries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Generally no. While the inverter you have for your solar panels -> battery does a very similar job, there are some differences in a wind turbine.

A simplified explain (it's a bit more complex) but you can think of a solar inverter as something that "pulls down" what it needs. If the battery is full it will export to the grid, and say if the grid was offline (due to a technical problem) then the inverter has no need to "pull down" anything so it does nothing. A wind turbine on the other hand "pushes out" electricity from the wind turbine into the inverter, and that energy has to go "somewhere", or bad things will happen. usually there is a "dump load" feature on the solar charge controller when the battery is full it will heat a resistor or something.

One of the regulars here has a wind turbine and has by all accounts been good for him. @samdeluxjones

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

Hmm - could this be it?

99cm x 196cm - is a slightly unusual size as most of the panels are ~110cm x ~170cm. Any chance you can check those dimensions?

If it's model "JAM72D00-370/PR" then the voltages at STC (standard test conditions) are:

• Open Circuit Voltage(Voc) - 48.43V
    • Maximum Power Voltage(Vmp) - 39.7V

Any of the 350W to 380W panels which I have checked on midsummer are all around the 38v range for Voc and 34v for Vmp. I'm not sure how well you can mix those with higher voltage panels. Maybe it doesn't matter and it won't limit the full array... maybe somebody here knows better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Would they be listed on your NC6? When I done mine there was a section for them I think

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭con747

Your best bet is ask your installer to send you on the specs of the ones they fitted. If they are in any way decent that would not be an issue if they don't want to fit one for you.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Some inverters, like the Deye / Sunsynk, are setup to work with either sun and / or wind input.

Forget about wind though unless you have a one off house on top of a hill with very clean wind coming from the prevailing wind direction.

I've asked so we see. They bound to have a record of it but they were fitting them so fast who knows

They'd have an invoice from their supplier anyway. It's just a matter of making them want to find it. Tell em that you have a friend looking at a solar install and that their level of follow-up here could swing the decision... 😏

interesting conversation this morning.. i emailed them and they phoned me back.. they have on record they fitted 350 watt panels on the day but the installer on the day told me they were 370s.. he's away on holidays so they going to figure it out next week.. not surprising the records are a bit hap hazard as they were flying through installs the back end of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭DC999

I took a photo of the info on the back of the panel on install day. Was smaller than they quoted!! Only 3% less output (10w less) but they never said it. Usual crap of ‘we can only get what we can get at the moment’. I told him they hadn’t given me 3% more and I deserved to be told of the change from the contract (IE, their written quote). I would of lost 3% efficiency forever for nothing - due to them acting the goat or having crap admin (if they did it without knowing) 

Anyways, they put another one up FOC after I objected. So that more than made up for it.

I'd normally shout "Cowboys Ted", but that wouldn't be appropriate in a forum for DIYers. 🤣

Hi folks,

If an additional panel is added to a string are there any changes required on the inverter configuration?

Cheers,

Mick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭idc

Nope, possibly some inverters store the kWp of the system but is usually purely a visual thing, unless it produces reports where it uses that value in calculations - then yes would make sense to update it

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gg3390

Thanks Johnathan, good to know. Thanks for your comments. I should therefore be able to pull the modbus feed into HA.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 gg3390

I think I have most of the jigsaw put together in my head now in relation to the (nearly) DIY solar install I'm planning to do (getting a roofer to do the mounting, and a reci to sign off the electrical work when I'm completed).

I think I've only one question remaining I'm confused about - somebody might set me right. It relates somewhat to a previous question I had on Huawei inverters and their control via modbus (thanks again Johnathan). This relates more to the operation and placement of the DSU666H as specified with Huawei inverters.

I understand CT measurements and power monitoring (I have a self-built ESP32-based system feeding HA, plus have a Shelly 3phase meter also). Currently I measure the main inbound tails, and the feed to my garage. I will be installing the inverter in the garage (10sq feed to house from there so no capacity issues).

My question relates to "why" I need to use the DSU666 and associated clamp meter. Given that my proposed inverter (5Kw huawei) will be configured with irish settings, plus is limited to 25A (approx 6kw) output, with the exception of wanting to know the actual solar production levels, do I need to feed the DSU666 from the MAIN inbound tails - I want to install this on the garage tails where the inverter will be feeding the house. My reasoning here, and this is what I'd be interested in any comments on, is that I will have no battery, the inverter will be naturally limited by its max output, and therefore self-use will firstly absorb production, with any remaining current flowing outbound to the grid. So why would I need to measure the main tails coming into the house in this scenario?

Reasoning here initially was that I'd need to install the CT clamps and DSU666 in the main house consumer unit, but the inverter is in the garage. I have no spare CAT5 between these locations - there are 3 but used for both ethernet and other purposes, so cannot pull one for the CT clamp. However, I can use a modbus to ethernet transceiver and carry the signalling from the DSU666 to the inverter over ethernet, so it's not insurmountable.

Basically, I just need to try understand why I would need to. Hope this makes sense, and thanks again for filling in all the blanks that I already got advise on.

Had our first rain for nearly a month here. The inverter RCD tripped in the consumer board. Tried on again and tripped after 30 seconds..left all alone for about 20 minutes and tried again and it stayed on fine. Givenergy support reckon might be water ingress somewhere? Panels in since October so had lots of rain on them before.. will keep eye on it

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Doesn't sound right. Inverters have a really good IP rating, shouldn't be a problem in any weather even if mounted outdoors.

Would a dodgy panel connection if it got wet cause it to trip?

I'd reckon Givenergy are right. Any RCD trips which I have had on general electrical circuits have been after rain showers where water has penetrated cables or covers. They often follow that signature of disappearing for a duration and then coming back again. I presume your inverter is indoors though, is it not?

Thinking about an RCD trip on a solar circuit - RCD's operate off the principal of the AC current on the live being equal to the current on the neutral. When all is equal, there is no trip. When there is a delta between live and neutral which is above the RCD trigger current (usually 30mA), it trips. That's usually a scenario where >30mA of current passes into an earth cable, an earthed component or even an earthed body.

When you then try to apply that to solar it gets tricky as the DC is fully isolated from the AC side of the circuit. So in theory the loss of DC current (even greater than 30mA) isn't going to be seen by the RCD as it has no knowledge of the differential on the isolated DC circuit - hence no trip.

So troubleshooting this could be eh 'interesting' unless you have an external inverter or external AC cabling - at which point it gets a little simpler.

Yep inverter indoors and no moisture there...system has run since November no issues.. running fine all evening..I may have to wait a while for more rain to test.. inverter was still running from battery after rcd tripped

• Advertisement

What else is on the same RCD circuit? Any outdoor circuits?

Advertisement