Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micro wind turbines

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Our solar setups are considered micro generation (up to 6kw). (Nc6, micro generation)

The nc7 is mini generation.

Micro generally means household scale.

Nano wind turbine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

I think you've to be practical. The ask was to use wind to heat water. The energy requirements and scaling of what's needed follows the ask.

If someone wants to charge their phone with a turbine that's a very different ask.

I like nano generation if we're talking classification / naming though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭DC999

Fair point. Do you want to remind us what setup you have? Did you say before you use it to charge power banks and likes of that? There's deffo a place for playing and testing stuff. Even small gains certainly help when electricity prices are like they are. So if you can remove some baseload, that's a win. And if that works and you don't need to add more, more 'power' to you (pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭reboot

Thanks for understanding . There's a place for all of our interests. I was just concerned that if alternative energy technology very quickly becomes too complex for the interested layman or woman,they will be put off and may not want to dip their toe.

I started simply charging 5v dc USB devices, spending maybe around 40 euro on solar pv.

Lipo batteries came my way for free, and most of the home and workshop set up is 12v and 5 volt dc.

I don't involve the mains by way of inputting current,but avail of economy 7 overnight set up.

Between solar 30 watt flexible ( I've smashed enough glass over the decades), and 100 watt turbine ,,Im happy to avail of a couple of Amps most days. I find that's sufficient to charge lead acid ,ex garage batteries and lipo EV modules,balancing on the way,via Turnigy. See, now I'm doing the off putting,sorry,its not about me,but you did ask.

Thanks for taking an interest in the pico folk.!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It does get overwhelming and over complicated verrrrry fast on here to be honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,073 ✭✭✭championc

Did yiz see the 24v 500w Ista Breeze turbine for sale on Adverts ? Could make a nice starter proof of concept.

Sounds good, more heavy lifting when it comes to turbine over PV, I find,although if you have space for both?

Also older folk and ladies,might start with a few panels on the ground,perhaps able to track the sun,as opposed to on the roof.

I generally expect output Watts to be 50% less,than spec quoted,that way I'm only slightly disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭DC999

Might be worth you starting a thread on what you have that reduces your electricity bill without needing to be complex or costly. I was looking at something similar for my folks. My Dad would like to be able to charge battery packs for tools in his shed. So your setup would help me see what he could get. And that’s a good starting point for many people. 

• Registered Users Posts: 64,897 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I think your expectation needs to be adjusted another 90% or so downwards 😂

Unless you're on top of a hill somewhere

Already did,Simple basic and cheap solar charging. Some folk asked,why not just flick the switch on the wall,for all your saving? "Some people never see the light ,until the day they die" Niel Diamond. Sorry to cross threads again.Good luck,Keep your head down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭samdeluxjones

She's up eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Looking forward to how you get on with that @samdeluxjones. Hasn't been much wind with the high pressure sitting over us but that will soon change.

Where abouts in the country are you?

South east on the coast so strong and steady when she blows. Hardly a breath today and cloudy. Guy who knows his stuff said it's the best time of year to install as can keep a good eye over the calmer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I haven't seen an installation on here in awhile which I'm interested in the outcome as muck as yours. It sounds pessimistic, but I'm in the same camp as unkel above. Would love one, and I hope it serves you well.....but know in my heart of hearts that the output will be dubious at best unless you go fairly large (2kw+) - still I wish you the best with it.

Do you have telemetry on this jobbie? Wind speeds verses power generated etc

(Complete non-runner for me living in an estate in Dublin 16, but still doesn't stop me from wanting one)

I had a weather station installed last year that logs everything pretty good. I don't know what the charge controller does but I think it's fairly basic from youtube videos, just gives a live view of what is being generated. The charge controller is charging batteries connected to my inverter so when the panels aren't generating the inverter will give a reading on how much battery charge it will be using, so will probably be able to get fairly accurate overnight readings.

I think, what will be of the most interest, is the actual generation vs specification / stated ability. And it's more about the output in a decent breeze rather than in a hurricane

Yea that's why I got the 5 blade which is supposedly more consistent in low to moderate winds. It's rated at 2kW in 10m/s wind, if I get 1.5 I'll be happy.

it's this video that swayed me https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liCv9HsXk40

Post edited by samdeluxjones on

The panels are generating today and charging the batteries which is powering the charge controller.

Will the charge controller shut down the turbine if spinning too fast ? I assume that you have three phases coming off the turbine. You'll see in his videos that he has his wired through US three pin sockets, and so he can plug in a plug with all three wires clamped together, shorting them all, and bringing the turbine to a halt

• Advertisement

When the wind exceeds 13m/s the turbine hinges back on itself out of the wind, the 2 counter weights you see hanging down tilt it back again when it goes below 13m/s. Yea 3 phase AC 48v motor fed to a bridge rectifier to DC to the battery to the inverter and back to AC again then back to DC to power TV's, laptops, switch's, cameras wifi etc..

Anyone thinking the wiring might be complicated, it's much more basic than the panels.

3 phases in from the turbine, positive and negative out to the battery and 3 phases out to the resistor/dump load that comes with the charge controller.

This is only temporary until I have it wall mounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,491 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Is that the charge controller? So it takes 3 phase AC and outputs what, DC to the battery looking at the photo?

That must be a wind specific charge controller if it has dump load and a rectifier. I'm always interested in wind , I'm not far from the coast and we get a lot of wind. I just never see it make sense financially, so would be very interested to see how you get on. I have a 800w wind turbine and charge controller in my ali express basket for months!

Yes, If you don't have a battery connected to an inverter you can just get an inverter instead of a charge controller and positive and negative AC will be fed into your fuse board.

Yes it is wind specific, excess power diverted to dump load when battery is full.

So what is the blue and brown wire coming out, is that +/- DC, or is it AC?

I think for my application I'd prefer a DC out instead of AC out but could connect either

Yea that's positive and negative to battery DC, it's Just flex I had in the van. It should be heavy gauge red/black.

First night of wind and they inverter used the charge as soon as it was getting it with no issues, which I couldn't find that info anywhere on the internet. Not even Solis could tell me.

Wind was between 5-7m/s output was variable from 100w to 500w.

My battery would usually be down to 15-16% every morning before a grid charge around 9:30, this morning it was 20% with few hundred watts going back to the inverter.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,897 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Very sweet result @samdeluxjones!

I'm sure you posted it before, but how high up on the pole is the turbine and where in the country are you and can you describe your location, like on a hill, no buildings around the turbine, or something?

Pole is only 2m off a flat roof. I'm on the southeast coast on small hill on the side of a small estuary that channels the prevailing south westerlies.

Today It's easterly so coming in off the sea. No buildings close to me, closest over 100m

• Advertisement

Solis is very good for that specific application. You can add any other renewable source input without telling it and it will still use the power.

Advertisement