Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Under-20's 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 anonymous8945

oops

• Registered Users Posts: 8,185 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Not being a langer but..... our lads weren't in the same class

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Shehal

Tbh the game just had Ireland v England 2019 written all over it. The English were incredibly physical and the Irish players just started sending one up runners straight into 2 English players and then they got double teamed. Once that happened early on the writing was on the wall, and at that point they just let us destroy ourselves.

Leinster announced the intakes for the coming year. Still lads that could help other teams. Cawley, Hadden and Morris all available! George Morris is available too!

Hadden has been offered a spot at Connacht?

I'd heard that on Hadden a while back, but nothing since.

Other guys still available are James Nicholson and Matthew Lynch.

• Advertisement

I don't believe that Nicholson will be picked up. Besides Anugu, he looked the weakest of the backline.

A month or so to the world cup! Feckin anticipation is killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Tournament organisers announced this morning that Athlone Stadium in Cape Town will replace Boland Stadium in Wellington as one of the three match venues, with the semi-finals and final to be hosted at the 34,000-seat venue

.Thirteen match officials from 11 nations have been selected for the U20 Championship, with Hollie Davidson (Scotland) becoming the first female official to referee at the U20 Championship before Kat Roche (USA) and Precious Pazani (Zimbabwe) follow suit at the U20 Trophy in Kenya.

U20 Championship match official panel: Luc Ramos (France), Angus Mabey (New Zealand), Reuben Keane (Australia), Ben Breakspear (Wales), Hollie Davidson (Scotland), Eoghan Cross (Ireland), Anthony Woodthorpe (England), Takehito Namekawa (Japan), Morne Ferreira (South Africa), Damian Schneider (Argentina); Matteo Liperini (Italy, TMO), Ben Blain (Scotland, TMO), Marius van der Westhuizen (South Africa, TMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

Any idea when the squad will be announced for this tournament?

Pity 2 of of irelands games are on mid week during the working week. At least the English one is on a Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭RuPi

I believe there is a fixture in Italy next week, you would assume after that.

• Advertisement

England played Georgia Saturday and playing them today..

England won first game 41-36 and Georgia won game today 40-38

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RAKM

Does anyone know what the TV coverage for the U20 World Championships is?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,755 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Flip, two cracking games by the sounds of things. Who knows with warm up games, but that suggests Georgia are decent.

We've a tough group by the looks of it. England up 1st! Hopefully we are fully loaded.

Yep but Ireland are definitely better than at least 2 of the sides, now it comes down to how good Australia are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Any guys coming back from injury into the side?

I know Oliver/Gunne was a real competition pre Oliver’s injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ljsulster

Cameron Doak will likely be involved and Ross Taylor has also recovered from injury.

Interesting to see if Ihechi Oji will be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭ljsulster

Hopefully Rory Telfer gets the game time he deserves- he looks to be a better player than Nicholson and a better winger than Gavin who is a 12 and better than John Devine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I don’t think Oji was injured so doubtful.

I was also surprised Telfer didn’t play more honestly. He looked great.

• Advertisement

Well there we go, Australia will definetly be a threat. They will always be a minimum 5-6th placed side in the JWC its just a question if this will be one of the years they are actually in it to win it like 2019 for instance.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Random Bloke

Interesting article from fedrugby.it website (google translate below). Irish U20's and Italian U20's playing warm-up match tomorrow at 12pm Italian time. No details on streaming - presume it isnt being streamed.

https://www.federugby.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17439:wr-u20-championship-il-test-non-ufficiale-con-lirlanda-chiude-lultimo-raduno-prima-del-mondiale&catid=112:italia-u-20&Itemid=1025

Coach Brunello: "Group made official after the session with the Irish, confident in these guys"

Rome  – The Italy Under 20 closes the series of selection rallies for the South African world championship with an unofficial match against Ireland, reigning Six Nations champions.

After the joint training session on Wednesday morning, the Azzurrini warm up their engines in view of the World Tournament with a match with agreed rules, open to all thirty players present in the gathering and with free substitutions during the entire 80 minutes. 

The two teams will meet tomorrow morning, Friday 9 June, at the Ghirada facilities in Treviso, headquarters of Benetton Rugby, at 11:00, with the session starting at 12:00.

Canada playing US in qualifiers for the world trophy which is on in Kenya in July

These are final qualifers with Scotland playing winner of this tie, Uruguay and Zimbabwe in group A while Group B consists of Hong Kong, Kenya, Samoa and Spain

As usual there is a few players involved with irish connections. For Canada Cole Kelly Trinity College Dublin / Wicklow RFC and for USA Hugh O'Kennedy Trinity

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭johnh6767

Where can we get the team I’m sure lots of names back in the fold. Gunne was key player, exceptional in 6N and got stronger every match , Evan OConnell was very impressive on his brief journey hopefully we get to see more , same for Telfer & Osbourne

I wonder will some of the talented players still in school be eligible for selection with the JWC starting later than normal. I remember last year we were able to call up U19 players who had completed their Leaving Cert so wonder if we'll do the same this year.

No and they shouldnt. . Did we call up u19s last year who were just finished school or had they finished school as u18s?

I remember Harry West for example who didnt play in the first 2 games but joined for England & Scotland as he had completed his LC at this stage.

I agree we shouldnt but it doesnt mean it wont happen provided the player in question is ready and good enough.

If exceptional and able to play the u20 competition maybe but if its 50/50 or even 60/40 in favour of the u19 then id pick the u20 player as its their last chance/only chance to play a JWC and potentially grab a pro shot. the u19 will have another. u19s out of school are different as available all through the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Isn't the logical conclusion of that argument not picking u19 players whatsoever, as it takes away opportunities from u20 players?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,990 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Would Prendergast be in line for selection for this?

Advertisement