Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phillip Schofield steps down from ITV after affair with "much younger male"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

How much do you know? Apparently we don't know -> yet somehow you know enough to state the basis on which they are "mostly" suffering.

So within the same post, you contradicted your own argument.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

I suppose he didn't resign as he has to still earn a living... integrity alone doesn't pay the bills....and Joe public didn't make a big issue of it unlike with poor Phil.

Post edited by cap.in.hand. on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,449 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In fairness, walshb says "If they are suffering..."

I think it's more likely than not that it impacted them in some ways, but both his children and his wife publicly supported him after coming out, and I think they all still went on holidays together, family events etc. His children have even been helping following the news of his affair and getting the boot from TV.

But attributing malice to Schofield purposefully entering into a heterosexual marriage, having children, and all the while hiding his sexuality just to protect his career, there's simply no basis for that other than opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Two adults had an affair. Big deal. What was his undoing is lying about it but besides that he deserves no condemnation.

It's a low brain power show at its best

• Registered Users Posts: 55,191 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have no idea...and what exactly is fine?

There are levels to this, and you are just way too extreme in professing how you think people should be feeling about this affair

Your wanting to paint this as being really bad and desperate and all so suffering......to me you are really exaggerating it, and it's this type of exaggerating that is keeping this contrived scandal in the news day in and day out

Maybe his children were upset and angry with him. Big deal. That's life.

But maybe they were very understanding and supportive to realize that their father who they love had to endure living a life that wasn't really him (as regards his sexuality). You know, human compassion and understanding.....and even pity.

But I'd say now and recently they are far more loving and supporting and wanting people to quit harassing their father. Because this intense harassment's is hurting them as well; and it is completely OTT and unjustified

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

How the **** is this grooming? If you meet or help a teen and then have a sexual relationship with them in their 20s how is that grooming?

It seemed to happen quite naturally. Schofield didn't jump on him as soon as it became legal?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭Deeec

If that is the case and it had nothing to do with his career then why didnt come out years ago?

I havent seen anything of the wife and daughters having spoken publicly about supporting him - other than thrash paper talk. We have Philip saying they are supporting him - hes emphasised this many times but is this actually true?

The family just have to be very hurt by the whole thing - I cant see how they wouldnt be.

Also are we expected to believe that the affair with the young chap was Philips first sexual experience with a man?

If that is the case and it had nothing to do with his career then why didnt come out years ago?

Again, he said it took him that long to realise he was gay and to decide to come out. Neither you nor I can definitively say whether he's lying or not. However by the same metric; after he came out it didn't affect his career. Nor is it likely to have affected his career if he did come out years ago. So it's likely his reasons for not coming out were personal rather than professional.

I havent seen anything of the wife and daughters having spoken publicly about supporting him - other than thrash paper talk. We have Philip saying they are supporting him - hes emphasised this many times but is this actually true?

Until such time as there is evidence to the contrary, and you're free to provide such evidence if you have any, it's reasonable to assume what he said was true.

The family just have to be very hurt by the whole thing - I cant see how they wouldnt be.

Definitely possible. A huge shake-up to their entire family dynamic. Again though, that doesn't mean Philip purposefully got into a relationship with a woman, married her, had children with her, and stayed married to her for 20+ years, just because it helped his career.

Also are we expected to believe that the affair with the young chap was Philips first sexual experience with a man?

We don't know. Maybe he was with a few guys when he was younger. Maybe he was cheating on his wife with men throughout their entire marriage. Maybe there's a huge queue of men lined up outside a newspaper office at the minute ready to say they slept with Schofield. Or maybe he denied his sexuality for so long that he never wanted to give into it, until he eventually had a relationship with this young lad and then realised he couldn't deny it any longer. We don't know.

Again though, you're attributing malice and insidiousness to his decision to marry his wife and have a family solely for his career, and that's just unfounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭valoren

I think he’d still be on This Morning even if the news of his relationship with the runner came to light. The problem for Phillip here was his brother. It wasn’t a case of allegations with Tim Schofield. He was convicted for sexual activity with a child. He got 12 years. It also wasn’t a case of Phillip long alienated from his brother and he could give plausible denials about Tims criminal activity. They were in touch to the point that Tim confided with him about it and Phillip sat on that information. Once the case and conviction was reported on then it was making headlines, headlines which were routinely ignored when they did their press reviews on This Morning. They might have been able to initially gaslight the audience or the sponsors but that could only happen for so long. Once leaks and reports of a rift between Phil and Holly emerged then he was on borrowed time essentially because despite whatever status, power or prestige he might have thought he had on the show it is always the money that a commercial station like ITV will protect. Holly salvaged herself because she could plausibly deny she knew nothing about his brothers activities. Once the sponsors got spooked about the details of his brothers case and conviction then it was only a matter of time until Phillip either jumped or got pushed.

You may be right. I can only speak as a woman and how I would feel in that situation. I am happily married for 15 years - if my husband suddenly announced he was gay I would be absolutely devastated. The years we spent together would seem fake to me in that he couldnt have loved me in the way I thought he did. I would be devastated to find myself past my prime and I would find it hard to trust a man ever again. I would be questioning why he married me and did he have affairs. I would be just so hurt to see everyone running around offering him support and saying how brave and how it must have been a terrible secret to live with. I would be very hurt to see no concern given to me at all and the situation that I have found myself in - through no fault of my own. I do think that in the schofields case money may play a big part in the wife staying silent. I really do feel sorry for his wife and girls - I think they have to be suffering badly. I do have great empathy towards them and I think in years to come I think we will hear their version of the story.

However I dont at all feel that Philip is a sexual predator, paedaphile or that he groomed that young lad. I think it is clear this guy was an adult when anything sexual happened and all was consensual. I think this side of the media hounding Philip is wrong. However Philip is still a liar and he rightly should lose his career for that alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,946 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

However Philip is still a liar and he rightly should lose his career for that alone.

People who lie should never work again?

Fúcking hell the labour exchange would be jammers if that were policy.

Anyway hopefully in a years time or whenever he gains employment again if he actually does, once a portion of the mob realise they lost their absolute collective shít over something so trivial.

No he just shouldnt work in television again sneering and jeering at peoples personal situations - thats what he done on this morning.

He can get a job doing something else. Im sure by this time next year his 'tell all' book will be released. Dont worry Boggles Philip wont starve!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,432 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think your feelings are understandable.

I think lots or people would feel the same.

You might get over it and accept it after time tough.

It might be easier for kids to accept.

I think sometimes husband and wives have affairs and the person at home knows and they're happily to go along with it providing they don't get anybody pregnant or catch anything. I'm not saying it's the case here but it's a possibility.

Just being honest I think people's fincial situation plays a big part in how they accept news like this and affairs.

No he just shouldnt work in television again sneering and jeering at peoples personal situations - thats what he done on this morning.

Hang on I thought it was because he lied?

Yep of course he lied - Boggles are you keeping up with the story at all. You seem lost!

Yes I think money is playing a huge part in this supportive wife situation at the moment.

And that's fair enough. It's always going to be different for everybody, and I don't think there's a right or wrong way for anyone to react in that sort of situation. The fact their children are grown up probably helps, maybe it's something his wife has slowly suspected over time, we don't know how long he told his family before coming out publicly etc. The fact he likely came out to her before she knew about the affair (and he likely didn't tell her he'd slept with anyone) maybe helped. We don't know. I just strongly doubt he married her without being in love with her, and stayed married to her for 20+ years, with children, just to advance his career.

I don't think it matters that he had an affair and was lying while being fake on TV. It's daytime TV. They're all fake. It's part of the job.

For me, it's his brother. He knew about his brother and didn't say anything about it. Shouldn't be allowed on TV again.

There is a middle ground between being 'insidious' about the marriage and it being a genuine 'love match'. Which is you could be fond of the other person, and fooling yourself into thinking you can make it work, or somehow love might come later. And also - especially given the different climate back in the late 1980s \ early 1990s towards gay men - seeing it as the 'done' thing. Expectations \ peer pressure \ don't rock the boat and enjoy the good life etc.

I think in terms of his audience he has burned a lot of bridges. A certain amount of 'pretence' shall we call it is par for the course, but the audience feel like they've been taken for a ride. It threatens the whole facade precisely because of the pretence.

Then you add in the angle in the MeToo era of lying to his employers about a relationship where there was a big discrepancy in age \ profile \ power between the two parties... There's a stink there.

And the angle with his brother that you note - this may have also played in role in burning bridges at ITV \ other staff and management agency.

There's more than enough there to sink a career.

Worth pointing out Scholfield did not know the age of the boy, his brother maintained it was consensual and legal right throughout the trial.

Not so sure how you or who you are supposed to report that to.

That doesn't stand up to any scrutiny. Why would Schofield tell him to stop if he believed what his brother said and the boy was of legal age and what he was doing was therefore legal and consensual. It doesn't add up.

A gay man telling someone "It must never happen again" over a consensual homosexual act? Nope.

TV star Phillip Schofield said "f***, stop" to his brother when told about a sex act he carried out with a teenage boy, a court has heard. In a written statement, the This Morning presenter, 60, said his sibling "made it sound like a one-off" and the celebrity told him "it must never happen again".

https://news.sky.com/story/phillip-schofield-said-f-stop-to-his-brother-when-he-told-him-about-sex-act-with-teenage-boy-court-hears-12845054#:~:text=TV%20star%20Phillip%20Schofield%20said,it%20must%20never%20happen%20again%22.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think him having the affair would have definitely made his position on This Morning untenable, considering some of the subject matter and guests they have on. That said, should it have affected him presenting The Cube, or Dancing on Ice (relationship with Holly aside), or other presenting gigs? Maybe not, or at least after taking some time off, apologies, it being fully confirmed that there was nothing illegal or explicitly against rules regarding his relationship with yer man. His career could have survived.

But it seems Holly was done with him after the revelations he knew about his brother. That was already the writing on the wall for his career. The news about his affair with a much younger co-worker, that just obliterated whatever was left of it.

Because his brother was threatening to kill himself over it.

And again, does that seem like the reaction of someone to an event that they thought was legal and consensual???

Not remotely.

And you tell someone "It must never happen again" ?

Not, you should seek counselling to come to terms with your sexuality?

Again, not believable.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,191 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Not, you should seek counselling to come to terms with your sexuality?

He did, it's in the link you posted.

During the face-to-face conversation, Mr Schofield said he urged his brother to see his GP and get counselling.

Another utterly disingenuous response ignoring the point put to you.

He also told him Never to do it again.

Never.

Not sort out your sexuality through counselling first.

But never.

These are not the responses if all that was going on was a man confused about his sexuality who had engaged in legal acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,900 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Look who is on the cover

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭reclose

I don’t know much about the brother situation and hopefully I’d never be put in such a position.

Would it not be incredibly tough to turn a family member into police though?

Oh no but the media are HOUNDING me he declares... in high profile media interview. He destroys his own career and credibility. If he had any sense he would disappear and lie low until the fire dies down. Instead he fans the flames.

He is stinking like a rotten fish at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

How much did he recieve for that headline... magazine sell out for sure.

Advertisement