Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building costs. Jan 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭kevgaa

Hi Folks,

Has anybody got a quote from a builder lately? Are we still in the €3k plus per sq metre for extensions? Any idea on price per sq metre for retrofit?

Regards

kev

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

Interested to know how building prices are going at the minute

We’re in the process of drafting plans with our Architect with a view to building a 200m2 house in Clare next Summer. It’s extremely difficult to know how much it’s going to cost.

Post edited by JMB88 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

have planning applied for. engineer told me due to simple design of home, with a bit of luck, it'll come in around 160psm. 205sqm house. open to changes up and down obviously. oil and gas prices falling should be good for things too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Cement has gone up for sure. Was €5.89 and is now €6.30 excl VAT. That's a change between February and May when I bought.

Timber hasn't changed in the last couple of months but i'm told chipboard is down now.

Insullation (150mm) is up ~€10 plus VAT since October.

I don't think prices are coming down much but aren't rising. We're in a period of stability by the looks of it

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭JMB88

€1600psm I assume you mean? 😜

That seems fairly reasonable assuming that’s a builders finish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

is that for a 25k bag I am seeing it at 5.49

https://www.thedandys.ie/product/origin-cement-25kg?gclid=CjwKCAjwsvujBhAXEiwA_UXnAP9lpJTeAEi3BQ35SYEjZHj5ONvGOULx07IPNj-Vrbjyr-TW3SA6ShoC2B0QAvD_BwE

as for other costs

Timber is way down.

Insulation has dipped back up but is cheaper now than 6 months ago

Sheet materials way down

Blocks up slightly.

Chipboard is down

and cement has remained fairly consistant in price for the last 12 months

Add in petrol diesel prices are coming down as a whole.

https://mybuildingsupplies.ie/building-materials-price-tracker/#

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Prices will only go down when home owners stop paying the prices being asked . Material costs are only a very small part of the problem. This country does not have enough tradespeople and it’s getting worse .Until the tradespeople to work required balances out , prices will keep climbing.

Wrong 40k more working in construction in 2022 in Q1 as apposed to 2021 Q2 its actually getting better. House prices are dropping

https://irishbuildingmagazine.ie/2022/09/01/cso-report-shows-40000-increase-in-construction-employment/

Where are they working though? They are on large sites . That additional 40k are not out pricing extensions and one off builds . Majority of people on this forum commenting on prices are talking about small scale residential works . The additional 40k staff have nothing to do with this sector .

A lot of the big sites have stopped building this year as the price point with interest rates on buyng a house has priced a lot of would be buyers out of the market. There has been a huge slowdown in housing and it wont be long before these boyos are going it alone and quoting for extensions when reports like this are coming out. To say none of these were added to building extensions is nonsense I seen it myself 2 years ago I could only get one builder out to quote this year I have half a dozen.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/business/arid-20111376.html

• Advertisement

That link must be wrong as it’s from 2010.

agree with you that they will eventually move into small scale when a slow down happens. It will be post Celtic tiger all over again. Hopefully home owners will be smart enough to go with professional companies who have experience in small residential works and not just bite at the lowest price but wishful thinking I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭WacoKid

Contacted 5 builders in Jan via tender and got 1 quote so did not proceed. Running tender again as of last week and all 7 builders contacted pre publication advised they would quote.

Post edited by WacoKid on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭obi604

What are the prices like in general, still relatively high?

Only have price from Jan which was high. Hopefully prices for latest tender come in over next 2-3 weeks.

What I am finding is that the architect spec'ed the work to the highest standard using the best materials. I expect when I discuss pricing with a builder we will reduce some of the items such as less expensive sliding doors, remove external insulation for internal insulation etc. Only when these discussions are complete will I know the true cost of the work.

Thanks WacoKid,

Just out of curiosity what was the jan price square metre and what work are you getting done? A new build or extension/retrofit. Im currently just at the planning stage so want to make sure I can afford what we submit and Jan prices will be worse case scenario I suspect..

Regards

Kev

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭bfclancy2

why would you replace external insulation with internal, makes no sense

Internal insulation is cheaper than an external wrap, or so I have been told.

You may have interpreted that I have external wrap and will remove it but no. Replace external wrap on the Bill of Quantities with internal insulation instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭bfclancy2

architect specced external, are you going to go against that? for what reason? cost? what was the point of the architect so, builder should have no input into the spec, they will only want to build the way they are used to building not which way is best

I agreed with architect to spec external. We may decide to remove it to save costs. Builder quotes will be an input into any decision. I don't see a problem with this approach?

• Advertisement

Didn't get into sq.m cost as with only 1 quote I was going to wait. It is a retro fit with extension and attic conversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭purplefields

I would absolutely reconsider this. Save money somewhere else, like kitchen or something.

We externally insulated a (large mass concrete) old shed and the external insulation is amazing. It costs hardly anything to heat, using oil.

With good external insulation, you can opt to go down the heat pump route at a later date. It is initially expensive, but you'll save on heating costs and it'll be very comfortable. Remember to deduct the external plastering cost as well.

On topic - there has been a huge difference over the last few months with tradesperson availability. They are calling us now! - this is better than I remember from pre-covid times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,585 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

External is by far the most expensive way to go. Only do it if you have money coming out your ears

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I had a quote last year but couldn't build due to personal reasons. I contacted the builder recently and I'd say he doesn't want the work as he told me the quote is gone up 25k! Being single and interest rates that rules me out unless I don't want to eat for the next 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭society4

Has anyone got any reasonable quotes recently under 200k to renovate and 30sq m ext in south dublin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭obi604

regarding your on topic comment

Great to read something like this, gives a bit of hope to joe soaps like me who are unsure about even starting to build due to the high prices

Post edited by obi604 on

I got my planning permission, plans and Bill of Quantities in place, which carry their own not insignificant cost. I now have the flexibility to tender as many times as I like if the prices aren't great, or until I like a price. Obviously will annoy builders no end if I do and some might not re-quote, but I'm not going to force myself to go with a price from an initial tender.

Thanks WacoKid,

If you read between the lines the fact the builders are now quoting when they weren't 6 months ago in January shows that the interest rates hikes etc are having an affect on supply despite the usual line for every builder I meet lately that they have plenty of work on and don't need my business. Wacokid hopefully you get a price you are happy with and can proceed but I expect some builders are still quoting high and will continue while people accept. Each yes just pushes the problem down the road for a builder for another 6 months or so..

You would hope with competition there will be a reduction in costs but only time will tell..

I'm at pre-planning stage and there is a number of builders sites around me (south county Dublin) that I have had chats with regularly. I have initial plans completed and a few of them have offered to cost it for me before planning so will be interesting to see what they come back with.

Yes, they say competition drives down prices so lets hope it applies to our building trade soon! Prices will be made up of labour and materials so ideally both drop off but not too hopeful.

Depending on the cost of your build, a Bill of Quantities (BoQ) may be a good idea. The greater the costs the less likely you will have a risk appetite for ambiguity and a BoQ removes this. Quantity surveyors will tell you a large part of their business comes from only being engaged late on in a build to try and resolve issues as the agreement was not detailed enough from the outset and costs had started to spiral out of control.

Some say a BoQ also weeds out the cowboy builders but I can't really comment on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Material prices are still rising especially timber. Rates due to rise again with the unions getting pay rise agreements for workers, so don’t expect it to get cheaper any time soon.

Advertisement