Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building costs. Jan 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭scwazrh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭snowcat

50k is about right. Doing a 70sqm extension at the moment. Hope to have it done for 100k all in. We are at 46k now with roof on and glazing in

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

You're only charging about €1500 per sq metre? Why is 50k right for 20 sq metres then, that's €2500 per sq metre.

how much do you think would be a reasonable price for 20sqm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Devil is in the detail. Is it a kitchen? A bedroom?

If its just a bedroom id imagine 30k should cover it.

A kitchen would be closer to 50k.

Add on the irish builders premium it could be 100k though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭snowcat

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Irish construction output down again 2.1% YoY over all 3.3% in the quarter. those interest rates rises are really starting to bite. Br interesting how long the high cost extension model that the construction crews have gouged on over the last few years can stay in situ before a truck load of them start seeing sense and fixing at a reasonable price point or hitting the wall

Post edited by fliball123 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Okay, this is a how long is a piece of string question, but hoping someone might help/answers

Has anyone gone for their self build mortgage to include the purchase of the site and construction? And what was the breakdown of this and how did it work?

also how much was it to build that house including all charges… council esb etc.

also has anyone done this with the intention of selling the home your in now?

any help is appreciated!

my background is we’re approved for a mortgage worth €312k with equity from the possible sale of our home of €70k and have about €10k in savings. We’ve been sale agreed on a house at €355k that house is approx 185sqm detached small gardens in an estate around 18 years old in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭MacDanger

I haven't been in your situation (we had our own site and weren't selling a house) so I can't comment on the bank part of it.

One thing you'll need to consider is that you'll probably buy the site subject to planning permission which will take at least 6 months I'd say so you'll need to take that delay into account (could be longer depending on the circumstances).

It sounds like you have ~398k to buy a site and build the new house, is that correct? I don't know how much a site is in Cork but around here, I'd say you're looking at 40-60k minimum which at best leaves ~ 340k to build the house. After that, it depends on what size the house is and how much you'd be doing yourself - without knowing that, it's hard to comment further.

We wouldn’t be looking at a massive house, in and around 2000sqft, I’d be doing none of the work! I’d be useless when it comes to anything like that. A site would be of a similar price to you. Few around €35/€50k around. I was thinking it’d take that time alright.

there is a building contractor local that does the whole lot to a builders finish, look after planning etc. have a price list and so on. It’s definitely affordable, it’s the site and how do I pay the mortgage as we go is the thing!

• Advertisement

How many in your family mate? 2000sqf is a sizeable house to be fair. In order to try and save a few quid I'd be reducing that size and making the bedrooms smaller. Bedrooms really don't need to be massive. We have 2 kids and the house is 1550sqft and it's probably too big. Reducing your by a few hundred sqft could save big money.

Yeah that’s something to look at. There’s 2 adults and two kids between 2-4 so still young. We’re in a 1000sqft at the moment and are struggling a bit for space. That’s why we’ve decided to sell and buy, we’d much rather buy. It did come into my head that I’d need to invest that house if it was to come through and would it be worth it???

hence the notion to build one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

im going through planning atm and its ball breaking. unless your site is within a few km of where either of ye grew up its not worth the hassle or the time. thats before you spend all your money and time on the build

Yeah it would be close to home I’d be wanting to build. I’m not fully there yet, still want our house move and sale to go through, and I’m just checking this out.

get a pre planning meeting sorted on the proposed site. see what they come back with. mine was positive and yet here i am 2 years later after being refused 3 times. total waste of energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭crinkley

first of all I’d be checking if local housing needs apply where you want to build as you don’t have a housing need

I’ve just started building something of a similar size and the estimate is 400k and I’ve been told to expect that to only go one way and rise. In fact when going for a mortgage bank of Ireland wanted 15% contingency whilst others were still 10%

Direct labour, with a number of trades in the family I’m hoping to make some savings but I expect these to be eaten up and we’ve had to revisit our kitchen plans to save money there

Well the notion of building is gone! Need to have a 10% deposit for the lot… ie site €50k (€5k deposit) house build cost €250k (€25k deposit) so €30k needed for that first off…. Also mortgage advisor from EBS said they wouldn’t allow us pay another mortgage while ours is active. Ah well!

having feck all luck since we decided to move!

You were also never getting a house built for 250k unless you were doing work yourself or never paying VAT

some may find this interesting, when we got our mortgage we gave a figure of €2105 per sqm so I understand why the Architecht says it would be difficult to come in under 400k

Mod Note: I have removed attachment - happy for you to re-post without the architects details.

Post edited by DOCARCH on

• Advertisement

Was only hypothetical the figure! Just to explain what the bank told me earlier. Know full well that wouldn’t get me what I want

Post edited by DOCARCH on

• Registered Users Posts: 10 tweety123456

has anyone any current quotes or what the average price per square foot is?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bleaks

Depends what part of the country you're in but the ballpark average figure seems to be around 2k per metre.

Really hoping costs come down in 2024, but I'm not optomistic about it.

Probably need a SF govt to come in and tank the economy before costs come down.

By the time building rates come down , the majority of homeowners won’t be able to afford to get building work done.

A lot to be said for the days of getting a lad in to throw a few blocks up on the weekend. I'll be getting the kitchen extended soon and plan to do it like that. Serious gouging going on as we have proven.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭j14

We are in a bungalow and looking to do a job in our attic in West Dublin. Job will be Remove roof, new stairs, add two dormers, increase overall height by about 2ft and put two new bedrooms, a new bathroom and a small office up there. The space is 35sqm. All planing has been approved.

Pre Covid our quotes were:

Builder 1 €87k

Builder 2 €98k

Builder 3 €133k

Builder 4 €154k

Going to start trying to get new quotes in the next few months and I don't know what to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

I think even 2k/sqm is unrealistic. We’re looking at 2.5-3k/sqm. We’re doing a retrofit and extension in Galway city. Existing house is 100sqm including a 10sqm lean to extension, which is to be demolished. Finished house will be 185sqm plus 15sqm insulated shed. Initial quotes from last summer were between €515k and €605k incl VAT and before any grants have been applied. Now we did get that down by reducing spec, accounting for grants etc but still very, very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭kevgaa

Based on that quote you are more like 4k/sqm for new build and 2k for retrofit.. Thats worse than some of the quotes I got in South county dublin and I would have said they were high..

You going for a seriously high spec??

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

The spec is not that high. The pc allowances for kitchen, flooring etc will only get us mid range finishes. However it will be A rated, have aluclad windows, underfloor heating downstairs and so on.

I don’t think the existing house is any cheaper than the new part. We are almost completely gutting it. Digging up and insulating under the floors, moving most walls, relocating stairs, replacing the roof and so on. I was also including the shed in the square footage because it has a finished interior and bathroom so that makes it 200sqm total, plus various outdoor works (patio, driveway, garden wall, planter areas etc). Hence 2.5-3k/ square meter.

It’s crazy money. But we’ve looked around and I don’t think we can get much better for our money without seriously compromising on size, layout or location.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭SodiumCooled

Your price just seems very high even considering you are including things like driveways, garden etc that I wouldn’t be as we will be living in the house before any of them things will thought about.

The below is what we have done, partially done or solid quotes for

Planning (incl all architect fees to completion, legal and esb connection), Foundations (including garage), Blocklaying, Roof, Windows, Plastering (to completion ), Plumbing (to completion incl Heat pump but excl. bathroom ware), treatment plant , MVHR,  Electrician (to completion) Carpenter (just some basic stuff like temp door frames, studding for pocket doors), Ceilings (metal + slabbing) Kitchen+utility (incl. appliances), Stone on one exterior wall, Insulation (floor, pumped cavity, attic), airtightness.

Currently at €1,372 per sq metre (265 sq metre house). Stairs and floor finishes are probably the biggest things not accounted for, bathroom ware isn't and footpaths aren't or labor for pipe work for hooking up to treatment plant. Obviously nothing for gardens or drive. Solar also not included. Some aspects of the garage that were hard to separate are included though (foundations, wiring and plumbing for instance) but some garage are separated out and not in these figures. I have put a lot of my own time in also which isn't accounted for :-).

Considering raising 100 per sq metre is approx 25000 of a spend, I think 100k will go a long way in whats left which would leave us under 1800 per sq metre at a stage of being able to move in, possibly even less. Our original target was 1600 per sq m to a stage of moving in (not necessarily everything finished).

Advertisement