Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sick of this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What you're suggesting is somewhere between orthodox communism and theft.

For the record, Irish house prices benchmark pretty well against any of the comparable economies of the EU. The credit bubble was a global phenomenon, not just an Irish one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I heard an interesting stat from a teacher graduate from her class of sixty (virtually all Irish born).

All graduated two years ago and 50 of the 60 have already emigrated.

Of the ten remaining 7 are emigrating this summer or later this year.

Personally I think this country is beyond saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,759 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

They won't all stay away. It's natural for a young graduate to want to see some of the world. I'd guess many of them, if not most of them, will return to teach here at some stage.

This country is far from fcuked. It's not perfect here, we have our problems, but most people who have worked abroad will tell you that everywhere has its problems. I think saying that this country is beyond saving is a tad dramatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Oh for a fairer unemployment welfare system. Surely the UK and Ireland can come up with a better system than flat rate for all. The worker who got laid off after 15 years gets the same as the person who never worked in their life and signed on after school.

Varadker was talking about this but then I also remember him talking about rewarding people who get up in the morning. Great man for the quotes

Signing up when unemployed in Ireland and Luxembourg is much the same. You need to show why you left, for me my fixed term contract was over as I was maternity cover. Give your ID, know your government number, it's all the same really.

Luxembourg give you 80% of your salary for up to 12 months. Lots and lots advised me to kick back and relax but hey I had a job one month later. People want a safety net and here is one in action.

France has this, Germany has this and the rate doesn't last forever. You get moved off this rate after 1 year or 2 years depending on the country but it's a safety net. Oh taxes are not low! You certainly pay for this social insurance. Ireland should be exploring something like this, hell most (my unscientific headcount most) of Europe has a better system than flat rate for all.

Ah the oul FF/FG line of "Sure young people like to emigrate". Who was it that was saying that at the time of the bank bailouts?

It has NEVER been traditionally the case that young teachers emigrate from Ireland in huge percentages as they are now. I have never seen anything like it. I have also never seen anything like the numbers taking early retirement from teaching (and other public sector jobs).

Ireland is a complete and utter dump and I'd advise any young person under 35 to get out ASAP.

• Advertisement

If people are able to take early retirement from teaching and other public sector jobs, that tells me that they are doing just fine. So not everyone in the country is fcuked.

Just because FF/FG say it, that doesn't make it untrue. Young people are the most likely cohort to emigrate. I've friends who emigrated through necessity and I've other friends who 'just wanted to try Australia for a couple of years'. There's no potato famine here any more. Most people who emigrate aren't forced to emigrate like the way it was years ago.

I will agree that there's a lot of young teachers emigrating from Ireland at the moment. But swings and roundabouts. If enough of them emigrate, there'll be shortages here and many of them will be back to fill those shortages.

I think you are being very dramatic in saying Ireland is a complete and utter dump and advising any young person under 35 to get out ASAP. Very dramatic.

Out of interest, where would you advise them to go?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Doing an apprenticeship here at the moment clearing €600/week at the minute for a 39hr week due a rise in the coming months and it will be very welcome as well as the overtime and travel allowances we are being told are down the line next month. Im young single not paying massive rent but i dont know how anyone with kids is getting by these days between the cost of everything. An uncle of mine is clearing €750/week plus fuel and he told me recently hed have very little left at the end of the week and hes not living a life of luxury however he is mortgage free. How could a young person seeing people ye know doing well to get by on "good money" be encouraged to stay here for the rest of their days? Ill be heading back to Australia when qualified thats for sure and will try get continental work beforehand during my apprenticeship if possible. Two qualified fellas were discussing work on the continent today they said they were told theyd clear €1700/week working self employed digs paid for on a 3:1 swing 5.5 days/week and that some other company was offering less money per week on the books however you got paid something on youre week off so it work out much of a muchness. If the chance came for me to go over there with them id grab it with two hands it would be a no brainer. The take home pay qualified here for 39hrs is €744 add in the country money it brings it up to €926 which you would probably give 10hrs/week driving up and down to Dublin everyday just for the pleasure of going to work.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Is that the best you can do?

I'm glad you have it so handy that you hope that others not quite as fortunate would just emigrate. Definitely FFG.

So you spent years in England, one of the most multi cultural countries in the world and now you're back here moaning about too many foreigners in Ireland! Hehe.

• Advertisement

What's your trade?

If you were fully qualified and working as a self-employed contractor, could you clear €1700/week working here in Ireland? There's a big difference in being an employee and being a self employed contractor.

I know self-employed blocklayers who are on that kind of money. Tough going though.

No potato famine anymore. . . .Ah sure they're not starving to death - ungrateful bastards. ;)

They're going to proper functioning countries where they're not paying 50%+ tax after €40,000, not paying €2K a month on rent, decent public infrastructure in transport and health exist, bailing out corrupt banks, and where Rip off Paddy is not joining them.

I heard €1300/week self employed cleared not as a contractor just as a self employed tradesman and think that was for a 43hr week

Better living everyone

Why don't you stand for election? Or do your crowd only harass and shout at people!

Just to clear up any confusion, I was equating being a contractor as being self-employed.

So just to be clear, is the person earning €1,300 per week self employed or are they an employee of someone else?

Taking home €1,300 per week is a decent wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭Northernlily

My opinion is the older generation are a bunch of entitled eejits who happened to get very lucky with their property prices. The challenges are different today, and they take every opportunity to ram down under 35s throats "how difficult they had it". Let's call a spade a spade, they got very lucky when a change in tax policy brought an overnight rush of wealth into the country via MNCs.

That same generation has ABSOLUTELY been to the detriment of developing the country further. They are all about keeping things as they are, keeping their asset prices inflated, retiring early and keeping young people's wages low to prop up their pensions while they crib on about how easy young people have it. Brown envelopes, nod and a wink etc etc.

As for many civil service administrators - they are the epitome of that class! Robert Watt etc., reject reject reject change, maintain the status quo at all costs.

I even had a HSE relation (a sneering kind who owns many property assets attained when it was easy to get them) tell me she was delighted with the IT ransomware attack as it meant she had to do no work. Dickheads the lot of them.

I'm not talking about all, but there are a lot of them in that 50-70 age bracket.

"My crowd are better than your crowd".

My crowd are citizens of Ireland who are emigrating. I'm probably not in your crowd. Hence your abusive nature.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Yes you should definitely leave the country and try living somewhere else for five years. Then perhaps you’ll see that Ireland is not better nor no worse than most of the other EU states because clearly facts don’t do it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It's ridiculous complaining about too many

foreigners living here. We are in the EU people have a right to come here to work

there's simply not enough Irish people here to staff all the shops hotels cafes pubs yes I understand gen z may say I can work in another country pay less tax and maybe pay less rent .

Gen z does not remember the time when young people left Ireland to go to the USA or the UK just to work in a basic job

Every EU country has experienced higher inflation and rising energy costs

Ireland since the 70s had depended on being an open economy and being a member of the eu

I like an American or a German economist to come here for six months and propose a solution to the housing crisis the government has a surplus of billions but it takes years to build houses and we have a shortage of skilled building workers

Decent money thats self employed though so youre not really entitled to snything if things go belly up. Plus the fact you have to give 10 plus hours a week commuting to get it.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

The oul "Grass isn't greener on the other side" argument - recently promoted by "Leo". The FF/FGers are truly out in force tonight on this thread. I expect nothing less on this website.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

I'm sure you'll be able to name a country with low taxes, cheap housing, plentiful jobs, great infrastructure and high public sector salaries. Being that they're so common and all?

Tell me, how does the MNC's wealth only benefit the older generation? How does their money not benefit the young? I'd go so far as to say that the young benefit more as the MNC's wealth wasn't really there when the older generation were coming up.

Also, please explain to me how someone retiring early is keeping your wages low and how are those low wages proping up their pensions?

Yes, the challenges are different today but so what. Do you think the older generation didn't have any challenges?

Apart from housing, most other things are easier for young people than they were 30 or 40 years ago.

Calling everyone in the HSE a d1ckhead tells me everything I need to know about you.

You sound very bitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The latest CSO survey I saw told us that more Irish people are returning home than leaving. Lots of young people leave to see a bit of the world but most come home from what I can tell. This is certainly true for doctors, I read recently that 85% of them return home after going abroad for the experience and exposure to different medical environments. I know a good few medical professionals through my partner and all of them have worked abroad, they're all home now though.

Yes Ireland is tough going for young people right now, but most countries abroad where people can get work have much of the same problems we do. When I was allowing my flat to be viewed in London before I left earlier this year there was a queue going down the road to see it.

Hey, Hey, Hey.

Get ta fcuk outta here with your facts. They aren't wanted here.

Go on, name your perfect country with low taxes, cheap housing, plentiful jobs, great infrastructure and high public sector salaries etc.?

Next question, why aren't you there if here is so bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭sameoldname

To be honest, I only know two people who emigrated and stayed emigrated. One because he met and married an Aussie and the other works in some kind of space related engineering role and was never going to stay here anyway. So no, I don't know where all these people are going but apparently you do, so why don't you tell us?

I originally posted here earlier on a stat regarding teachers emigrating. Go and type "teachers emigrating Ireland" into Google. It's all there. They say which countries they're emigrating to and give the reasons why. First hand information.

Personally you'd want to be blind not to see the reasons why so many are emigrating.

But many FF/FGers and their supporters have it handy in Ireland. To them the status quo is worth protecting. We all know why.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

So you have now sampled the labour market in two European countries and discovered that the prospects for someone with no qualifications or skills are not very good and all you can do is compete on a cost basis with similar people from third countries…

There were opportunities for you to up skill in the UK, there are in Ireland and unlike most of the foreigners you are complaining about you have a right to work anywhere in a huge labour market. Nobody owes you a living, up skill and take advantage of what’s on offer or sit and whine it’s up to you.

• Advertisement

It's not great money if you are self-employed. Given that you'll have wet days where you can't work etc.

Advertisement