Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk Megathread Nov 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭leath_dub

So - Andrea got caught in traffic in Virginia and Carrick on Shannon at the weekend so now a bypass of both towns is imperative and of national importance.

I suspect that bypassing Carrick is complicated by all the feck-off rivers and lakes in the area, Andrea - but it is outrageous that you were inconvenienced and delayed in getting to a wedding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Im fed up of listening to anti-social behaviour on beaches when the weather nice. There is a simple solution. Gardai.

Crime and anti-scial behaviour up and down the country could be halved if they just put gardai back on the beat. On the beaches add in a couple of litter wardens, provide enough bins and a couple of portaloos and many of these peoples complaints will be preempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I had to check that wasn't an April Fools day prank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,607 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Partly agree, but the 'there's no binnnns' is not an excuse to drop litter.

You were able to bring your shite in, you should be able to take it away with you. In fact it is lighter to bring home as you have consumed whatever was in it. I don't see why this is such a big ask.

The sad fact about this country is too many people are too used to their mommies and daddies to pick up after them.

Completely contrived rant in breakfast this morning against Michael D warning against the underhanded drift towards NATO. It sounds scripted and Ciara giggling as she makes her opinion suggests she' doesn't really believe what she's saying.

As for Shane "I'm sorry caller, I can't agree with you there" Coleman - get off your sanctimonious high horse!

This scripted sh1t on Newstalk breakfast really gets on my nerves. Every day they are at it. Discuss topic A and Ciara takes one stance and Shane hasa different approach. Tey might brong up the "topic of the say" 3 tomes over the duration of the progremme and while Shane and Ciara advance their argiments it's nearly word-for-word every flippin' time

Today h e topic was RTE, tomorrow the topic might be botox for chimps but he approach was the same. This kind of made sence when yhey were trying to dorove revenue via the 30 cent texts but make no sense now they are using WhatsAop.

You can sometimes hear them shuffling papers as they read their scripts and it just sounds so fake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

I tried to listen to a piece on few minutes ago, about visitors to your house overstaying their welcome, and, if you visit should you bring a gift?

First part of this, there was a brief survey on the street in Dublin. And then the interview on the phone with the guest. Too hard to listen to so I switched off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

The odd story had its moments though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Mohat Mogeansai

There’s something hugely off putting about the voices from the folks he does all these segments with , to the point we have to consider is It his own voice clashing with the other to create a type of a type of accent dissonance?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tobesure

Why does Kelly always look like she just got out of bed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭Allinall

She's on at 7 in the morning.

She has just got out of bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,472 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Listening to Helen McEntee trying to rationalise her Hate Law legislation on The Hard Shoulder. It's fairly cringe listening and frightening to think that this person could bring in such a problematic law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭hamburgham

100% agree. That interview should be the final nail in the coffin for her. Was never a fan of Simon Harris but at least he seemd to be trying to deal with actual crime. Was far better than her in the position but..and I am female..any criticism of her is becaus she is female. She is USELESS. I am gobsmacked listening to that interview. I think Anton is too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Ciara Kelly is a terrible interviewer, happened upon her interviewing someone about the dead whale that washed up in Kerry. Every time she asked a question she interrupted him with some stupid interjection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

Was listening to this earlier and she asked him about cutting up whale but before he could answer she had her own opinions and then asked about 4 other questions without letting him speak about what he is the expert in after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Not to mention the I-I-I-I just.....I just -just wonder .......

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tobesure

Was listening to off the ball on Saturday. Fiona hayes reviewing the men's u 20 rugby final.

She says, about the 150kg French player that if she saw him coming she'd thunk she'd step out of the way. Ehhh..you're a woman. Any male pro would smash you. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

All the boo hooing from Ciara & Co about the whole country not having flegs out and supporting the womens team, you can't make people enthusiastic about something they are not.

• Advertisement

The Irish cricket team is winning all around them (errr, I think ) and no one , including myself obviously , cares either. No internet points for biging up a bunch of posh white guys

Absolute melt on On The Record saying that RTE crime dramas glorify and encourage crime. Ffs like gamers act out grand theft auto in real life all the time.

Edel McGinley of the migrants rights association arguing that Gardai are racially profiling suspected perpetrators (or suspected perpetrators) of inner city crime. Absolute guff! She argues that if the Gardai stop and question someone that is of non-caucasian skin colour it is racially motivated. In fairness to Jonathan Healy he tried to point out the absurdity of her arguments but she was having none of it

Heard Coleman saying people should sell off their back gardens to facilitate more houses yesterday. People need to take the emotion out of the fact that they may have spent 40 years tending to the garden. No big surprise I suppose given that he wants everyone living in high rises in towns.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭deise man

Shane coleman must be the biggest do-gooder on radio.

If virtue signalling were an Olympic event ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Driving to work this morning and they were banging on about the survey showing rugby is Irelands most popular sport. Driving home at 4 and it’s the same topic for 30 minutes.

Get home and sit outside after 6 and it’s being discussed again, seems a regular NT , pick a topic and discuss all day

Oh yes . The news that consumes itself. If it's discussed on the breakfast show, Andrea will almost certainly discuss it. It will then invariably be picked up by Ciaran Cuddihy too. The most laughable was the amount of time they spent on different programmes one day discussing the bounty being removed from the box of celebrations. It's radio on the cheap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Survey of the day. Slow news time I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,714 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Was it one of those Newstalk surveys that they use in the news bulletins as if they are actual news?

Who did they survey, the same people who told them they'd pay a tenner a month for Off The Ball podcasts?

Rugby the most popular sport. Ha! It sure is, guys. It suuuure is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Energia did the survey.

The survey, which canvassed 1,008 Energia customers with 31% of respondents claiming rugby is their "favourite sport". That compares with soccer (27%), gaelic football (23%), and hurling/camogie (19%).

So yeah, rugby was the most popular sport...in that survey group. Who knows what the actual most popular sport is.

Would this be the same energja?

"Official Energy Partner of the IRFU and Leinster Rugby, and Proud Sponsor of the Energia All-Ireland League."

😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

I see Anton stood in for Coleman/Kelly this morning.

3/1 Covid

5/1 Pay talks gone sour

8/1 Off to set up a podcast

Maybe they've eloped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Expunge

She's recovering from surgery and he's probably gone to Paris for the Oireland France game.

Mammy's smarmy sounding boy filling in today, probably tomorrow as well.

Yeah, I tend to dip in and of The Hard Shoulder these days. It's all a bit weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

He gives it both barrels when it comes to RTE in fairness.

Must've had a rejection letter.

• Advertisement

Of all the radio presenters I have no choice but to listen to when I’m in the back office , that Kieran chap is the only one that doesn’t make me angry

Did she reveal that on air?

Still no sign of Mary Lou, her surgery must have been pretty serious.

Coleman championing a new contract for Kenny this morning. He should be given an extension.... circumstances, player ability, bad luck etc. etc. but Kenny should get an extension.

He really must just want to wind people up. I suppose it's a topic change from banning one off houses and banning cars and banning open fires and banning any king of accommodation that is not high concentration and so on and so forth....

Sure what's the point in a new manager anyway. Just someone else to get sacked in ten years because they haven't won a world cup with a fairly mediocre group of players.

Andrea Gilligan going on about Donegal again

She comes across far better talking something she’s interested and passionate about than stiffly screeching “ what do you think about washing tablets Mary ?”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

She's really unhappy that the DNA test showed she's genetically Leitrim rather than Donegal.

Endless GAA shirtism is stock in trade for loads of Irish presenters. Yes we know where you're from, no need to go banging on about it.

Keith Barry is Newstalk's Dermot Bannon.

Usual permanently butt hurt cycling lobbyist, and this is coming from a cyclist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,087 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Listening to hard shoulder last night on the way home from work and their podcast slot.

I started getting deja vu.

no hold on, this is not deja vu, I’ve actually heard this before. Listen a bit more. I’ve definitely heard this before.

hell this was on last week!!!!!!!! Stuck on the player and sure enough, confirmed what I already knew, it was the same as last week.

the didn’t even try to hide it, they portrayed it as live.

lazy lazy journalism

• Advertisement
Advertisement