Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Media silence over Niall Collins story

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭hometruths

Again you say it's all been laid out clearly. According to you exactly how and why the Bruff LEA had no authority or role in the decision to place the land on the market has been explained beyond doubt.

But yet again, despite your clarity of understanding, you're unable to simply point out who did take that decision.

Larbre has also spelt out exactly how the Bruff LEAs were mere bystanders in this decision.

Perhaps he'll be able to enlighten us as to who had the authority and responsibility to take that decision.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

one single person does not make these decisions.

thats the whole point of local governance

Yes, the whole point is accountability.

So what group of people took the decision to put the land on the market if not the Bruff LEA?

• Registered Users Posts: 85,896 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

If all above board so to speak with Collins then why wouldn't he answer questions, The Ditch might be a dirty rag website but imho no smoke without fire

Because this government is doing such a bang up job running the country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Presumably because it would just give knobs like Paul Murphy a platform to bang on. Even SF aren’t making a big deal about this because their own councillors may have similar questions to answer in the future.

Collins has clarified the circumstances under which his wife enquired about the property, and that he didn’t have a pecuniary/beneficial interest in it when he attended the local meeting. What more does he need to do?

Nothing. The outrage merchants trying to make more of this are completely wasting their time. They should go and something more rewarding with their life. Complete nothing-burger.

Ruining the country? In 10 years we have gone from bust to full employment, lots of high paying jobs, billions in additional tax receipts, reduced need to emigrate, high levels of savings on deposit etc. Yes, things could be a lot better in relation to housing, but bear in mind our population is now at its highest since The Famine.

If that is your idea of ruin, you should visit a country which is genuinely ruined, you would see how stupid your post is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What bit of what he described is inaccurate, or funny?

And I might add to it, we are booming while so many of the global west economies are really struggling to preserve growth post-Covid and in the energy and supply chain crisis caused by Covid and the War.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,383 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i think hes laughing because there was a misread of "running the country" and "ruining the country"

shure isnt JP Liz V1 actually agreeing that the government are doing a good job running the country :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Housing could be an awful lot better, as could healthcare.

They're two big ones for a lot of people regardless of how tax-returns, well paying jobs etc are.

What gets people too is that these issues are worsening regardless of how much money is available. Clearly something very wrong with this FFG gov.

The head in the sand, 'private matter', approach to what at least looks very much like corruption doesn't help them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Think you missed one of the most critical points the health service and if you had a child attending a hospital on a waiting list for 3 years and getting worse you would understand, but no big up FFG on being great, people being homeless, money wasted left right and centre. The likes of Collins, Troy etc are there for to grab as much of the pie they can and f ck everyone else. Give you an example of the health service in crumlin hospital if you get an appointment for out patients department the number on the letter does not get you through to talk to anyone just rings out, have highlighted this with management we were told that number is in an office that nobody works in and they would correct this straight away and guess what 6 months later this has not being done. Having spent 45 days straight and the wife doing nights in crumlin hospital you come back and tell me how great the FFG boys are who are under paying the hard working nurses and the admin doing f ck all and security staff a joke because their company is in with the Great FFG boys. Wake up and realise that the likes of Collins is out to screw everyone for his own gain.

There isn’t much about the heath service you can tell me, every member of our family works in it. Whomever is the Government of the day has little bearing on the functioning of the health service.

But hasn't it always been FFG in some form or another in Gov?

All either party has wanted to do for the last 30 years is privatize everything in sight.

Problems in the health service = bring in private management consultants.

Not up to the job, for all everyone says our macro figures are great, I just don't see how that translates to better services/quality of life.

But clearly the likes of Collins, Crowe, Troy etc have other priorities.

You can blame them for many things, but no politician or party can solve the problems of the health service, they can tweak around the edges, but unless they change employment law so that they can clear the decks of all the useless staff from the Dept of health right down to the car park attendants, and change work practices without the Unions going on strike, then you are just wasting your time.

Agreed not an easy job. Doesn't mean we should let the same crowd keep trying the same things and failing.

What does all that money on management consultants do? May as well just be taking wads of tax-payers cash and burning it.

The only purpose is that FFG can outsource another problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,054 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Can you clarify this please if you don't mind?

Are you saying the Bruff Area agreeing the land can in principle be put up for sale means that the council executive is empowered to advertise the land for sale? Or would the decision to approve putting the land up for sale (not selling/disposing the land) have to be taken by the full council?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Is there any legal meaning to a property being up for sale? What's stopping anyone from putting anybody else's house up for sale on a property website apart from the site's terms and conditions? It's the power to form contracts at the end of the process is what counts IMO, and you don't get that here without a full council vote.

I assume there's some council procedure saying when they can advertise a sale, in Limerick presumably after a committee vote.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭200mg

I assume you have to have legal access and control of the deeds to said property.

The management consultants tell the Government the way things should be done, but that does not mean it can be done. Imagine the uproar if the Government announced that tens of thousands of underperforming/un needed staff were being sacked from the HSE, now don’t kid yourself that SF would be able to do that.

Anyways, we digress, this has nothing to do with Niall Collins, and trying to conflate his situation with problems in the HSE, or stating that the country is in ruins, is clearly nonsense.

I assume there's some council procedure saying when they can advertise a sale, in Limerick presumably after a committee vote.

Indeed. In this case the committee being the Bruff LEA. Therein lies the problem.

Haha have to laugh can remember planning law from 1999 but cant remember where he was living. Remember explaining means your losing.

NC comes across as an arrogant self entitled runt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,446 ✭✭✭TheChizler

To sell it yes, but to put it up for sale? As in advertise and negotiate? Who's checking until contracts or physical access is needed? My point is, there's no special legal requirement to put something up for sale as it's a meaningless status in a legal sense.

That aside, in this situation the council has those things.

May help not seeing much though I think it would be covered by fraud so estate agents for example check for this stuff.

Despite the muddying of waters it's actually very simple. The sale process started when Bruff LEA approved the disposal. At that point the council executive had the authority to appoint an agent and advertise the land.

Only the full council had the authority to complete the process - i.e sign off on the sale - which is why the first input on the matter we have from them is the September 2008 meeting in which they formally agreed to complete the sale. And in the notes to to that meeting they record that Bruff LEA had approved the disposal - i.e started the process - in January 2007. If the full council had disagreed with that decision for any reason, or any other subsequent part of the process, they could have stopped the sale.

In their rush to remove the authority and accountability of Bruff LEA, and thereby NC, from any part of this decision making process, the resident experts here are portraying a patently absurd scenario.

By their account a member of the public could express an interest in purchasing land, and then a council executive would formally inform the relevant LEA, at which point the executive could proceed to advertise that land on the open market irrespective of any disagreement from the LEA.

This is clearly ridiculous.

The simple part, or at least we would hope so, is that writing a letter enquiring about a property should it go on sale to the public, doesn’t constitute a pecuniary/beneficial interest. Everything else after that is just nonsense published by a lazy news site with an obvious agenda, hoping that simpletons would be outraged.

• Advertisement

Clearly there are plenty of people that "would hope so". Not least Niall Collins.

Advertisement