Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got dismissed today, what do you think?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

"Google Says: This is a non-statutory redundancy payment paid by your employer, which is over and above the statutory redundancy payment. Payment in lieu of notice: however, if this lump sum is paid under the terms of your contract, it is taxable in full and does not qualify for exemption or relief. "

The payment in "lieu of notice" is the 2 weeks pay which is basically wages you would have been paid. The x weeks per year of service can be applied against the exemption rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Also, you will have to "talk" with a solicitor to get the payout. They do this to cover their arses.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭i124Q

Thanks guys. Meeting solicitor this morning. Will report back soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

You may also need to speak to a qualified financial advisor if you're looking to use the tax relief on the lump sum payout

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Whatever you do don't show up for the next 9 months at the door of the building.

Someone else is playing that playbook for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Those days have gone. A relative in a senior role took a case against a previous employer, which got a lot of press coverage.

The employer settled the case when he started dishing the internal dirt. He went on to CEO level in future roles.

Is it just you or are there others in a similar boat? If there are group layoffs, they have specific obligations about notice periods and consultation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,712 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

This is typical of how large companies, especially american ones do this. They just cut number off the balance sheet. You could be there 2 yrs or 20 yrs no difference. You can be bottom of the ladder or the top of it. Makes no difference either. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Take some time off, a holiday, a project, something you wouldn't normally have the time for, etc then start looking for another job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Where a case settles is one thing and a person in a senior role in an industry will already will already have a profile and a reputation.

Prospective employers will know straight away whether the prospective employee is a troublemaker or not. Not so in the case of a novice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I would take it on condition that a written reference is provided

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Payment in lieu of notice is taxable income FYI. Its not the same as redundancy. Find out exactly which of these is on offer, huge difference between the 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭screamer

Look be realistic, they let you go, horrible as it is, legal or otherwise, they don’t want your services any longer. Why would you fight to stay somewhere that treats you badly? Take their money, find a new job and move on to a better company. Value your skills and take them somewhere they will be equally valued.

It's policy for most companies that they won't give a reference, they'll only confirm your position and dates of service

Background checks go a bit further, but again the previous employer will only give a general overview of what you were doing, they won't really give any assessment on whether you were any good or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

There might be some cases where it has not happened, but surely a prospective employer would google an applicant before hiring them? I know if I was interviewing someone and I found they had taken a case against a previous employer, it would be a hard pass from me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Any links to that? Civil Service are still 1 year afaik.

It's a professional choice, but in a tight labour market, you'd want to be careful about finding reasons to exclude people. If you want people who are going to be a bit of a walkover for their colleagues and your customers, by all means, do your hard pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭Augme

I'm fairly certain he isn't fighting to stay there, he's fighting for more money. It would be stupid not to, given how strong of a negotiating position he is in.

When I was interviewing people I was as much looking for someone I could work with as competence in the job role

If someone said they got let go from a previous company then that's not a red flag by itself, but if they seem very contentious over it then that's a potential red flag

It might mean passing over some otherwise good people, but I've worked with people who were very competent but utter pains to work with and would fight on every issue

Nobody wants a walkover for an employee, but you need to know when to pick your battles

The irony is I was probably one of those folks who got passed over because of their attitude. When I was being made redundant and interviewing for new jobs, I wouldn't stop going on about the whole redundancy and how badly we were being treated in the first couple of interviews

Reckon the interviewers assumed I was a moaner and wasn't worth the hassle

After that I decided to only give the most cursory details about the redundancy action in interviews and I was a lot more successful

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'm public service. Head of HR said it in a meeting

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Im public service too and havent heard that yet, I may do a bit of digging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Transparent and Predictable Working SI 686/2022

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Squatman

2 years in, are you mad?

In any case, the law in irealnd has change. probation can take no longer than 6 months, with the only exceptions being if an extension is to the benefit of the employee, and not employer.

it does not in any way, at all mean publicity. whilst the advice might be sound, this first line is ignorant

why do you think he's in a strong negotiating position? he was fired before 2 years, which is when redundancy rights kick in. and statutory would mean 4 weeks pay, not the 4 months on offer? If I was OP, I would ask for additional 2 months pay, and/or money to "relocate" as they may offer more. amy I missing something/?

in the WRC its is most unlikely that you will know who has been there. most cases it says "an employee Versus xyz" in the interest of the company, they will look for an NDA to protect their own reputations., also, easy to verify, but I don't think WRC results come up on google, have to search it in the WRC website

no, new law came into place this year. 6 months max

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

WRC cases are all recorded on a website. That is what I mean by publicity. An occasional one is reported by the newspapers if it is sufficiently newsworthy. mThey are all public so any prospective employer can check the website. Even the annonymised ones can be easily identified by people i. The time spent working for any employer and the reason for leaving are required by any prospective employer. It is very easy to work out that a WRC case was taken by someone who left an employer at the time of the employment ended.

no, i disagree. i have an article in the WRC, and unless I type in the reference number, I cannot find it. add into the fact that one company could have 10-12 open wrc cases, makes it next to impossible to ascertain is candidate x was the accountant in the supermarket franchise that took a case over unfair treatment. at best, your comment is misleading, at worst, scaremongering. i can also add, as a manager, I have never looked up any candidates in the WRC, and same for google. if the interview doesn't satisfy your competencies, and instincts, then i don't need google to reference check.

• Advertisement

also, just to add, that the wrc hearing is likely 12 months after the horse has bolted, and candidates would most likely already be in their new role.

Advertisement