Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I got dismissed today, what do you think?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭thomas 123

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Squatman

Thanks Thomas, spoken as a true ignorant. The WRC does not require legal representation. you may elect to get representation, but it is not a requirement.

I apologize as I appear to have offended you somehow?

I’m just speaking from my experience of going through exactly what the OP has gone through.

I would assume taking on multi billion dollar corporations legally yourself over the course of months would be fairly challenging.

also - you can represent yourself(for free) in most courts in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭Augme

He's not being made redundant though. He's been fired without due process.

i love your last line there. completely undermines your first post, and your follow up post defending your first post. Good man tommy boy. PS. I'm not offended by ignorance.

• Advertisement

go on? what do you think he would be entitled to?

Here I will explain it bit by bit for you:

"Going to the WRC will cost more than its worth"

The costs are the OPs legal costs, not an actual price to go to the WRC. I thought this would be obvious.

"and you likely wont be able to afford to wait long enough for the case to be resolved"

The OPs wages have stopped, going through the WRC will take many Months. They are likely not in a position to turn down the cash offer the company has extended and will withhold while the WRC proceedings are underway. Part of what the OP will have to sign will state that they are not legally liable and waive all rights to further perusal.

My last line is in direct response to this drivel from you:  "The WRC does not require legal representation. you may elect to get representation, but it is not a requirement."

Only a truly ignorant fool would attempt to take on a multi national in any court without legal representation, especially if their family depends on them financially. Im not sure this is what your suggesting though as your position is totally unclear and you appear only to be trying to poke holes in the advice being offered to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Tow

I will add, that with only a couple of years service the WRC will probably not award any more than the compo already on offer from the company. So a whole lot of stress and agro for little or no gain. The OP would be better off pushing for a little more and insuring they keep their employer pension contributions.

In saying that I know someone who represented them self and got a big award. But they knew what they were going, and had every i dotted and t crossed. The person who sacked them got their own P45 a few months later over it.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭steve-o

OP, forget all this talk WRC and solicitors, and take the money and run. Think of it as a huge bonus. Take the summer off, or get another job and enjoy the extra cash. You'll essentially be paid for most of the year as a large chunk will be tax free.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Your research skills are obviously at the same level as your debating skills. As for your practices as an alleged manager, one swallow does not make a summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,170 ✭✭✭Augme

He should get twice what he's offered from the compnay. He'd be an absolute mug to accept their initial offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,310 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Your manager probably couldn’t give you a heads up. I’ve been in that situation, made to sign an NDA, called into a meeting with HR and told I’m to make team members redundant, argued the decision and been told it’s all decided and happening, so get on with it…and don’t breathe a word until the agreed time. It’s rarely just one role so there were probably other managers doing the same at the same time.

It’s ****, and I feel for you. Unfortunately one of the drawbacks of the ever more corporate world we live in…gotta please those shareholders at all costs, **** the employees.

thats a bit rich given that every thread you started is a thread asking for advice... regarding the manager ability, I have no idea what you mean, but ill leave the swallowing to you. good luck and good bye. 😅

the costs are the OPs legal costs, not an actual price to go to the WRC. I thought this would be obvious. - not a bit obvious, as we have established there is no requirement for legal representation, and your first line confirms no "actual price to go to the WRC" - So completely undermined your own argument.

"and you likely wont be able to afford to wait long enough for the case to be resolved"

Not sure who you are quoting, but your argument is based on an assumption that the OP will not get work in the interim. perhaps you know the OP? care to share why they wont look for a new job?

My last line is in direct response to this drivel from you: "The WRC does not require legal representation. you may elect to get representation, but it is not a requirement."

your comment on this shows a clear lack of understanding, and Il leave it at that. IF you can read some of the bigger words, your will see another poster above, has an example of this very thing happening. I have several examples. and its clear from your post who the ignorant fool is, and well done you for not caring about taking up the role either. go you. 🤡

Im not sure to be honest, hence the post. I would agree never to accept the first offer, but if they have offered above and beyond what's required, could it be a take-it-or-leave-it situation?

I don't suffer from Dunning-Kruger sydrome. That is why i ask for advice!

For someone who knows everything i'm surprised you would need to be filled in on how this all works. Like any legal offer... there is generally a time limit attached.

Then again you appear to be someone who thinks they know it all but in actuality knows very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I'm willing to bet the OP wishes he'd never asked the question in the first place after seeing the mud slinging thread it's turned into 😂

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭i124Q

So I signed the paper. Coming out with a wad of cash at the end of the month!

I got an extra 2 weeks pay out of them, solicitors advice to ask for more.

I pimped out my CV, and uploaded a fresh LinkedIn photo, I'm looking fly, I must say.

Applied for jobs on LinkedIn and already got calls from recruiters about a job. Salaries seem a bit low, but I'll wait until the right package comes up.

Really enjoying the time off with my 7 month old girl, it's like an extra paternity leave. And of all weeks, the weather is so nice and I'm soaking up the rays, bringing the doggy out for extra walks and I've gotten back into the gym feeling good about myself. And had 2 bbqs already. Corn on cob bbq is ace.

I'm also doing some LinkedIn Learning stuff so that I can add some extra certs to pimp out my profile some more and to talk about it in interviews when they ask me what I did for X Weeks/Months after being made redundant.

My only issue now is the company mug and t-shirt I have. Probably use the t-shirt as painting shirts, I need to paint the garden fence so... and the mug, I was thinking of smashing it, but it's a fine mug and I like the shape of it. Maybe I'll poor vodka into and get so drunk I smash it anyway.

Keeping it positive like most of you said, when will I ever come across this chunk of money again? A job is just a job, there is more to life and I am enjoying the extra time with my new little family. And looking forward to my next career move wherever I end up.

• Advertisement

thanks again for sticking your head above water to confirm my previous post. your answer has nothing to do with the question. best advice i can offer is to stick to the juggling. 🤡

hah, as good as a burn as that could have been, its an effect and not a syndrome. and presumably you just gave me a compliment as its also while people with high ability or knowledge may underestimate their own competence.

Thank you again claw hammer. you dont have anything smart to say, but by god you dont mind saying it... How are the swallows going?🤠

No chance you will underestimate your own competence.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

do you really want to be in a job where you are not wanted ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,891 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Congratulations, glad to hear it's working out and you're staying positive

I think you're absolutely right to be upskilling and trying to pick and choose the job you accept, you've a bit of breathing room now financially and can probably afford to take your time

I wouldn't expect too much catharsis from smashing the mug, unfortunately the end result is that you'll be down a mug and have to clean up the remains. Just keep running it through the dishwasher and eventually the company logo will wear off 😁

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭i124Q

Haha yes, the mess is secretly what I'm trying to avoid 😅 Thanks for the nice words 😊

Advertisement