Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

That'll explain it. Uploaded from the pc but took the pic vertically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭Titzon Toast

I started tackling the orange peel on my Prelude the other day.

I wet sanded a couple of panels and used a denim cutting pad on them.

It's very time consuming but I've wanted to do it for ages now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭passatman86

Great paint job

Is that a sneaky white prelude

Yeah, that's my pal's one. It's a bit of a strange egg. It's a JDM 5th gen but it's an early one so it has 4th gen wheel hubs, no 4WS and F22 in it.

We sanded it down when he got it and another friend painted it white for him. It looks well.

I got a bit more brave today and wet sanded with 1200 grit sand paper.

The orange peel is fairly thick and the denim pad takes a fair amount of time to take it down.

Still a fair way to go but I'm getting there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Slideways

It’s a time consuming job and takes a delicate hand to tackle paint work like that

i tackled the noisy carrier bearing on my 4x2 Mazda BT50 ute. She’s a bit of a pig that I use to get to the airport once a week and do trips to the hardware store in. Had a loud booing noise that I thought was either diff or carrier. Luckily when I dropped the shaft to check a few months ago (long finger kinda job) the carrier was very rough sounding.

Drive way job. Haven’t done universal joints in about 15 years I’d say but it came back reasonably quickly. Splitting the yoke off the shaft was a PITA. Desperate measures called for wd40 and the mrs hair dryer. Not sure which was the fix but 10 mins on a hammer and chisel and it was off. Bearing on. The wrong way. Beating off and back on the right way and my booing sound track has gone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Small job. Replaced the rusty boot struts on my C5. No more risk of being guillotined when putting something in the boot now!

The old ones 😳

Post edited by hoodie6029 on

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Had to clear out the car port today. Winter decided to do a test run and job that was on was not one you would want to do outside.

Mrs’ young fella has a single charged 1.4tsi Golf and was getting cam/crank synchro errors and a rattle on start up. Timing chain change out was put off for as long as I dared and tackled it today. 6 hours of phcuking about but in the end was not outrageous bad

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭mk7r

Did you use new bolts in the cams? They are a b1tch for failing if ever reused

The kit I got was supposed to have everything in it. No bolts so the old ones went back in. I guess time will tell if my calibrated arm got them in the lucky “tight enough to hold, not so tight they shear” range

• Advertisement

The half kit doesn't have bolts, the full kit does. If I was you id be swapping them for new ones, they are already visibly stretched by the time they come out and reusing is a bit of a non option, especially because the torque setting is so high due to the fact the cams are keyless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,525 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

The "today I finally had some time to show what I did to my car few weeks ago" post. ;-)

Well ms jou's car, not mine, but I did what I did.

Niro EV goes without a spare wheel, no option at the dealers even to have a space saver, and both myself and the missus prefer to have a spare wheel, especially there's a room for it in the boot.

That how the boot looks like factory spec:

Plastic thingys removed and prepared for the cut:

Jigsaw involved.

Will it fit? First try. It fits!

17 inch alloy off adverts, standard size tyre, very tight fit. I already had a tyre, but would be better to have slightly smaller one.

Final look:

Ms jou's happy. And if she's happy, I'm happy. :-D

Whats holding the spare tyre down in the well though?

Unregistered Users

Gravity.

Might be a good idea to have a look for a clamp, it looks like the threaded bit is already in the car? loose spare wheels can cause some carnage in a crash

Unregistered Users

Missus always has so much garbage in the boot that loose wheel under the floor would be the least concern in case of crash. Apart from that, the wheel fits tight. VERY tight. But thanks for suggestion. :-)

A lot better than a can of foam imho anyway. And better than a donut too.

Now that I've finished the bodywork I decided to give my wheels a bit of a freshen up. I didn't laquer them because the stuff from a spray can is pretty ****. I'll do that in my pal's place in the next few days.

I'm hoping to get the car back on the road for the first of next month and going to some car shows over the summer.

Undercoated the whole underbody and wheel arches this morning. It's 99% ready to hit the road on June 1st now.

@Titzon Toast so has the restoration process made you want to do another.... "I know let you enjoy the prelude first"

• Advertisement

Not really, no!

If I had a load of money and my own place I probably would alright though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So... Importing a 31 year old has its drawbacks, especially as mine was off the road for a long time, in the last month alone:

Battery. Sorted... After two batteries...

H4H bulbs (INSANELY INSANELY EXPENSIVE). Sorted.

Alternator (Had to refurb or else china special). Sorted.

Mental electrical issues after alternator (alarm, immobilizer, windows, locks just doing mental things). Sorted.

Transtop refurb due to gears missing teeth. Sorted.

Sourced full ms-design kit. Sorted(ish). Problems fitting rear because of where exhaust is mounted, work in progress.

Managed to get hold of dc2 type R spoiler. Sorted.

Full service.

That's what's done.

What's on the list for this week:

Either fuel pump has packed it in or I've a lump of turf stuck in my fuel filter. Hard to start and cuts out a lot. Car currently horrific to drive.

Sort rear ms-design splitter.

Finally install coilovers.

Hub conversion to get rid of ghastly wheels for something JDM.

Long term jobs give me a headache and hurt my bank balance so I'm not even making a list. That's it for now fot the littlest siR.

It's coming together but it's painful. Always seems like one step forward and two back. I hope it's worth it to have something unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭kdevitt

If it’s anything like the earlier CRX / Civic - I’d start with replacing the fuel sock on the pump. This gets clogged up badly - leads to crappy running and an issue where it won’t start up once it hits a quarter of a tank.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Seems to happen no matter how much fuel is in the tank. I've checked sparks, distributor, fuel filter and pump appears to be working. At this stage it's beyond what I can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

injectors may be blocked from sitting up so long. You can get injectors cleaned and tested rather than buying a new set.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Amount of fuel in the tank wont have an effect - the fuel sock is just there to filter the fuel that the pump is picking up. It’s gets gunked up and stops a regular flow of fuel.

After that I’d be clearing fuel lines, and finally injectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,471 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

The 'Depollution system faulty' warning was coming up now and again on my car (2009 MK1 Citroen C5 1.6D). Dr Google tells me that this is possibly a blocked DPF. A bit of Redex fuel system cleaner and a long run would sort it out. I noticed it would come on a day or two after I had gotten diesel in Applegreen, which I only use when l am stuck.

Given the car had only done 145,000KM in the 13 years before I got it in October, it's fair to say that it had been used on a lot of short journeys. I do a long drive every week so it is getting some proper use with me anyway.

The C5 isn't worth a lot so I wasn't too keen on going to a garage and having to potentially shell out for a new DPF etc. so I decided to try some Redex DPF cleaner from my local motor factors.

I put it in with a full tank of fuel before I set out on a long trip. After about 4 hours driving, I restarted after a stop and noticed the light was gone off. Brilliant! I've since burned through the whole tank that had the DPF cleaner in it and notice the C5 is much more responsive now, better acceleration and a bit quieter at idle and cruising.

The exhaust fumes aren't as foul on start up as before either.

All round I am happy with this result and time will tell if it Is a permanent fix or a sticking plaster.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Changed a few bits on the car last night, just back from the shop now this morning and noticed I done my journey with a screwdriver left on the wiper trim panel 😄. That screwdriver is a keeper

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭GavPJ

The mothers car failed its NCT on a damaged rear number plate lamp even though

another car I tested passed with an advisory and neither of them working! The rear

tailgate trim was broken too. Trip to the breakers to get one (€20) and a rattle can.

I couldn't find the paint code on any of the cans in the motor factors so just picked

one that I thought was close enough. Happy enough with the way it turned out.

Didn't get to fit the lamps as my Dad lost the ones I had ordered.

• Advertisement

This lot landed today. Should keep me busy for a few days at least.

Advertisement