Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leixlip chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭buffalo

I see the planning docs are online now (ref 22677 at http://webgeo.kildarecoco.ie/planningenquiry#). I see as well as razing the house, they're also removing all the mature trees at the front. There must be 10-12 at the moment, and they want to replace them with three trees in the same place and a few at the side? Makes the block much more obtrusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭2011abc

Utter tramps !Theyve even created a mountain of topsoil behind Little Harvard .The town will reek of sewage all year round soon and water stoppages become more and more regular .Half the vehicles on site have yellow reg plates and its practically straight across from Garda station .

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭jorry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I see Gala has opened up a shop in Oaklawn.

I was in Willow & Wild in Maynooth last week and they're now aiming for a September opening there, where Hutt was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Hope they have a hot food bar. Be nice to be able to get a decent breakfast roll that side of town. Neither Spar up to it tbh.

The new Gala does nice rolls and wraps at good prices.

Refused permission by the council for reasons of "incongruous" overdevelopment, tree removal, water drainage and road safety.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What are the odds that a new application will be lodged soon. I doubt they will give up that easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Mikros

Delighted. Their complete disregard for the significance of the existing building and the removal of so many mature trees is exactly the sort of development I thought we had left behind.

• Advertisement

Maybe just a little outside our ‘zone of interest ‘ but I went on a long walk yesterday and ironically Liam Lawlor’s former Lucan residence seems to have a preservation order on it also . An incongruous monument to planning corruption in the Adamstown ocean .It’s sad to see even in this mega development the race to the bottom from the previous ordinary decent worker’s 3 bed semi with garden front and back to tiny box townhouse with a few flowerpots out front to five storey tower block :-( Did I read somewhere that in some parts of Dublin ( Dunlaoghaire )five storey developments are being scrapped (or even knocked down ?!) in favour of eleven storey ? And even more bizarrely ( as in all the city centre )you can see the current less well heeled residents being ethnically cleansed out of there in favour of richer ones

Anyway I don’t know if ‘Rossmore Civils ’ are connecting the latest Kilmacreddock roundabout development to the water mains nearer the town ( trench being dug from their down) but their previously not bad traffic management went to pot a few days ago round 5pm with road raging ladies much in evidence !

Post edited by 2011abc on

Whatever the works on the footpath are, I think they combined badly with the road resurfacing last week to create some tailbacks. What will drive me to pot in a few months is that the road surface seemed perfectly fine and yet was resurfaced because... budget available? Its turn in some rotation? But the lumpy tarmac that the cycletrack and footpath trench was filled in with will probably still be there in 2024.

On the topic of the Kilmo development, I can understand why it wasn't called Leixlip Gate, but where on earth did they pull Harpur Lane from? And why did the council allow it? I agree that it's sad to see the replacement of front gardens with hard-surfaced driveways. Less drainage, less carbon absorption, less space to stand outside talking to neighbours, gradually building a community.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,529 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

I actually lived over in Adamstown in one of those for about 2 years. I was renting with a few lads. Lack of a garden not a big issue.

I think a lot of people pushing ‘apartment’ ( or even little boxy house with no garden ) living forget what it cuts off and entails .Many interests and hobbies need a bit of space whether it’s ( d’uh…!) gardening or working on your car etc or a host of other pursuits . I listen with pity to my workmate tell me about how many trips up and down it takes to defrost their car windscreen in Winter from their apartment . Obviously kids are happier ( and safer ?) in your own garden … pets likewise …OK so some people may prefer apartment lifestyle but majority given choice would want a ‘house with garden ‘ . Sad that this has been stolen from our kids due to greed of a few

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Seams even a dedicated parking space is a luxury these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotfoodforphil

I know this isn’t the right forum per se, but could anyone offer an opinion on the area around Confey station? Was looking into some second hand homes in the area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Glendale and riverforest? They are grand, mainly older residents now as they would have moved in there in late 1970s and 1980s amd the majority have stayed. A few new families have moved in recently of course but mainly people in their 60s or so now. Not an old folks home yet by any means but not a huge amount of children there any more.

Depends on the house and how its was maintained and what work was done. Some are in great shape and have been renovated and extended, others will need big money put into them to get them anywhere near modern standards.

Decent sized houses and gardens front and back mainly. Glendale is the nicer estate and has a fabulous park at the back of it. Some houses at back of riverforest very far to walk to in some cases, it's a long estate. Not really any social problems in either of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Gotfoodforphil

Really appreciate the response! Yeah the estates did have a much older feel to it alright, and given the period as you’ve said you would expect and older population. Would think plenty of young people would move into the area over time though, given its location and the decent gardens, etc. that you’ve mentioned

New application for this, ref 221409 - no docs online yet.

Outline is:

(i) demolition of existing two-storey house and single-storey outbuilding; (ii) construction of a residential development comprising 1 no. three storey over basement level plant room apartment building comprising 27 no. apartments (13 no. one bedroom & 14 no. two-bedroom) with each apartment having access to private amenity space, in the form of a balcony, and having access to an area of communal amenity space (163sq.m), public open space (1,017sq.m), a vehicular parking area (36 no. spaces), 4 no. bicycle sheds (48 no. spaces) and secure bin store all at surface level; (iii) construction of new pedestrian entrance via Old Hill Road; (iv) provision of private amenity space (48sq.m) to serve existing gate lodge dwelling; and (v) all ancillary works including landscaping, boundary treatments, SuDS drainage and all site services, site infrastructure and associated site development works necessary to facilitate the development.

Previous was 22625, you can play spot the difference - less apartments in the new one with more public open space:

(i) demolition of existing two-storey house and single-storey outbuilding; (ii) construction of a residential development comprising 1 no. four storey over basement level plant room apartment building comprising 40 no. apartments (17 no. one bedroom, 19 no. two bedroom & 4 no. three bedroom) with each apartment having issues to private amenity space, in the form of a balcony and having access to an area of communal amenity space (260sq.m), public open space (515sq.m), a vehicular parking area (50 no. spaces) 5 no. bicycle sheds (60 no. spaces) and secure bin store all at surface level; (iii) construction of new pedestrian entrance via Old Hill Road; (iv) provision of private amenity space (48sq.m) to serve existing gate lodge dwelling; and, (v) all ancillary works including landscaping, boundary treatments, SuDS drainage and all site services, site infrastructure and associated site development works necessary to facilitate the development

• Advertisement

Crazy. The first reason the original planning was refused was "the loss of a 19th century dwelling of significant architectural merit" and the new application has it straight up demolished again. Can't wait to see how they square that circle in their application.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Tornaedo

Willow & Wild opened within the last couple of weeks. It's been full anytime I've passed it (3-4pm), definitely going to try it one these days. Also they have a sign up looking for staff.

Refused again, heard the news earlier this week.

I haven't been in, but herself has and says it's really nice but very cold. They might be trying to save money on the heating bills.

Another new estate being planned: Glenveagh have put in planning application for 237 new units on the land at the rear of Leixlip Park. No documents online yet but the entrance will be at new traffic lights across from Wonderful Barn. Usual mix of 4 bed / 3 bed / 2 bed and apartments. Seems like a decent place for new houses if a little close to the motorway. If they ever got around to resurfacing it wouldn't be as big an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cgorzy

Good site for proximity to the Village, I would assume there will be pedestrian and cycling access somewhere, ideally straight to the Village but not sure how difficult that would be. Noise is a serious issue though. In around the Wonderful Barn the noise levels are atrocious in my view and the same in some parts of Barnhall estate especially towards the newer paths from the Barn. Anyone think noise has gotten much worse in recent months? either since the removal of the site access road or, I would say more likely, since the tree felling along the motorway?

There'll be access through Leixlip Park (see application below). I can't see how you'd do a route direct to the village without knocking a few houses or providing a public route through Leixlip Castle. Maybe drop down into the Aldi car park?

ref 23513

Large-Scale Residential Development (LRD) at a site of c. 14.3 hectares. The application site is principally bounded by: Celbridge Road (R404) and Back Gate Lodge, Celbridge, Leixlip, Co. Kildare W23E0F6 to the west; the existing residential developments of Leixlip Park and Wogansfield to the north; the M4 Motorway to the south; and by agricultural lands to the east. The development will consist of the: (1) Construction of 237 No. residential units ranging in height from two-three storeys comprising 30 no. two-bedroom houses (c.86.8sq.m each), 124 no. three-bedroom houses (ranging in area from c.103sq.m to 114sq.m each), 13 No. four-bedroom houses (ranging from c. 151sq.m to 168sq.m) , 20 No. one-bedroom apartments (ranging in area from c.56.6sq.m each), 22 No. two-bedroom duplex apartments (ranging in area from c. 86.9sq.m to 89.0sq.m) and 22 No. three-bedroom duplex apartments (ranging in area from c.127sq.m to 139sq.m each); (2) Construction of a two storey creche (c.278sq.m in area) with associated external play area (c.85.8sq.m. in area); (3) Provision of public open space (totalling c.7.71 ha of which c.5.61 ha comprises strategic amenity space), communal open space (serving the duplex apartments) (c. 570sq.m), and private open space (in the form of private garden areas serving the houses and terraces/balconies serving the apartments/duplexes); and (4) Provision of vehicular, cyclist and pedestrian access/egress and associated circulation routes (including the construction of a fourth arm to the existing three arm junction on the Celbridge Road (R404) opposite the entrance to the existing Barnhall Meadows residential development and pedestrian and cyclist access to the north-east of the site providing access to the existing residential development known as Leixlip Park). The development will also consist of: (5) 303 No. car parking spaces (including 31 No. car parking spaces for visitors and 12 No. car parking spaces serving the proposed créche): (6) Electric vehicle (EV) charging infrastructure; (7) 355 No. bicycle parking spaces (including 17 No. bicycle parking spaces serving the proposed créche and 160 No. bicycle parking spaces serving the proposed strategic amenity/public open space); (8) Bicycle storage; (9) Bin storage; (10) 3 No. ESB substations; (11) Undergrounding and diversion of the existing 20kV and 38kV overhead power lines; (12) Equipped play areas; (13) Photovoltaic roof panels; (14) Boundary treatments (including gates, piers, railings, walls and openings to the former demesne wall); (15) Provision of lighting; (16) All hard and soft landscaping; (17) Provision of Sustainable Urban Drainage systems (SuDs); and (18) All other associated site excavation, infrastructural and site development works above and below ground, changes in level (including the relocation of artificially raised ground from construction of the M4 to create an enlarged berm to the southern boundary of the site bounding the M4 Motorway) and associated retaining features, and associated site servicing (foul and surface water drainage and water supply). An Environmental Impact Assessment Report has been prepared in respect of the proposed development and submitted with this LRD application

• Registered Users Posts: 17 cgorzy

Oh right so through Leixlip Park for pedestrians/bikes will be a bit of a long way round from behind Wogansfield to the Village but handy for local shops I guess. Direct access to the Village was unlikely but might have been useful to existing residents in a few estates so it’s a pity. The Celbridge road paths aren’t great and a proper cycle route would be nice on the way to the Village at least. Would need a lift home!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Pretty much any cycling infrastructure (cycle paths or cycle storage facilities) that are provided by a developer are put there simply as box ticking exercises and are are of such inferior quality that I would not use them. Those cycle paths, more often than not, tend to put you at more of a disadvantage than staying on the road. I have no reason to believe that whatever is included in this development would be any different.

That said, apparently there is a plan within KCC to have a safe cycling route from Louisa Bridge to Hazelhatch but I don't think anyone has yet taken the time to put anything down on paper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

For anyone interested, the application is here https://eplanning.ie/KildareCC/AppFileRefDetails/23513/0

There does look to be a potential route leading to Aldi and the castle gates via the field behind Highfield Park, but it could just be a quirk of the plans.

Advertisement