Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

They're not really. Martin Osterdahl was asked a couple of days ago whether the contest could go 100% televote next year, he gave a generic/non committal response of "we review the rules every year, we'll see" etc. which led some to think it could happen. I think it's highly unlikely and would be a knee jerk response.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Meh to the winner. And that guy to the right of Loreen. He looks like a cross between Bill Bailey and Dara O'Briain.

Post edited by sligeach on

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Maybe the Juries wanted to get back at the public for giving all those point to the Ukraine last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Group think in the juries and media generally lifted the Swedes. Good PR and promotion with a touch of Eurovision royalty factor. The disparity between the jury and public though is too large for the organisers to ignore. Last year it was explicable, this year something rotten. As for Putin’s murderous regime, they’ve just put another bullet into their own miserable corpse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭squonk

We’ll probably never win again. Not a soccer fan or expert but I’d say that winning teams have winning ways and know what it takes. If you lose the pulse it’s immensely hard to get back on top. A winning team might have a few bad seasons but they know what it takes to get back in the mix. Our task is gargantuan because we’ve been outside the big league for so long we need to learn what it takes to be in with the big boys then we have to match them.

I do know it’s a lottery but there is so much more going on now than matching a strong song with a strong singer. We’re like those league of Ireland clubs who compete in the champions league. The difference is we used to me a Man U or Real Madrid but now we’re Pats or Dundalk. This is the stark fact under RTEs stewardship. Bastards should be ashamed of themselves. They’ll still want your licence fee though. .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭appledrop

OK so we need to go back to drawing board for our entry.

Make it as fecking diddle Irish stereotypical as possible.

Have a few ones dressed like auld Peig sitting by a turf fire.

Then they are so memorised by the fiddles and tin whistle and traditional Irish music that they jump up and start their Irish dancing in a replica of the floozy in the jacuzzi in middle of the stage, with water splashing everywhere. We could ask Graham Norton to come back in his role as Father Noel, sure that caravan scene is a classic.

Everyone loves Riverdance, what's the worst that could happen we come last sure we are doing that anyway🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Here is another that was genuinely robbed as it was runner up and happens to be my second favourite song.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,286 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

And above all else, Paul McCartney never showed up!

That’s it, I’m closing this thread!

*pulls up imaginary shutters*

• Registered Users Posts: 30,366 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I remember listening to the Eurovision songs blindly with somebody they said that Austria was a big ballad and nothing special. However once they saw Conchita they were a winner. Netherlands were robbed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Norway were robbed in 2019, that fecking boring ballad I can't remember a single second of.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Only one man for the UK entry next year

• Registered Users Posts: 32,304 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It would look pretty stupid if they did.

They came second last year for a start.

Plus their entry was extremely poor on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I still remember that song fondly but I think it was flagged as having too many similarities to other C+W songs even by EV standards which I suspect cost it jury votes.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭Akabusi

To finish, my final robbed song was one of our own. Still can't get over this not qualifying for the final. The best song we sent in over 20 years, the performance was and setting was good too. Molly did the country proud. This was probably a victim of not being marketed across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

Cruachan tried it this year and we're in the qualifying process they've recently released the song and after giving it a listen I honestly can't see how they didn't give it a try, seemed perfect for Eurovision not bland and boring because of the bands look while also leaning into Irish mythology and traditional music.

Totally agree on this one.

I think it was ahead of it's time for Eurovision tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I'm gutted Sweden won 🏆 wasn't a good song at all ,Finland was robbed 😢 that means Ireland and Sweden are at 7 wins and 2 artists each winning as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Semi-Final 1 results

1 Finland 177

2 Sweden 135

3 Israel 127

4 Czechia 110

4 Moldova 109

6 Norway 102

7 Switzerland 97

8 Croatia 76

9 Portugal 74

10 Serbia 37

11 Latvia 34

12 Ireland 10

13 Netherlands 7

14 Azerbaijan 4

15 Malta 3

Wild Youth seriously tanked!!!

Only public votes counted in semi final hence Finland beating Sweden!

Seemingly Australia won second semi!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pnott

Semi final full results are out. Ireland came 12th with a score of 10 points. https://eurovisionworld.com/eurovision/2023/semi-final-1

F#cking hell that is poor.

We also in no way deserved to finish ahead of the Netherlands...

Christ I was sure we would get last. Malta were better than bottom of the table. Netherlands were far better than us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Ireland would do well to mature and recognise the importance of not being earnest. There’s a trifecta in entertainment a total package that is humour; performance and not so much musicality now but two out of three ain’t bad at all.

I would say get cruachan to do their routine but with some subtle “unintentional” shots revealing say thomas the tank engine boxer shorts on under their kilts might do the trick. Polka dots or some totally unexpected, you know?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,349 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

10 points is about right, but shocked that got us 12th! Poor Malta deserved better than 3 points, and Latvia came quite close!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Without a doubt the greatest runner up in Eurovision Song Contest history and an absolute crime it didn't win!

As good as any of the 7 songs that won for us and I'm still absolutely gutted it didn't win!

Such a beautiful song that brings a tear to my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

Yea was sayin. Just a few tweaks here n there and sure fire winners is my take,

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pnott

I am more surprised that Sweden only received two sets of 12 points in the semi final. Israel who came third in the semi received double the number of 12 points than Sweden did. The public really went all in behind Finland. I don't know what the juries saw that the public didn't.

Definitely. It was as good as anything else we sent in that period.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,845 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

They actually said they want more money for it. Not that they want rid of it 🙄

Advertisement