Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor schemes & realignments

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

I don't think they, or the article, explained the situation very well. I found it difficult to understand the issue, other than the fact it's a busy road.

That being said, the average junction is this country is a joke so I wouldn't dismiss their concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

This is a newly-redesigned stretch of road, so their concerns should have a bit more weight than the usual.

But still I mostly disagree with them. The reason for no slip-lane is likely that they couldn’t make it long enough for traffic to safely merge, and an unsafe merge lane is worse than none at all. This was the same argument we had with the new 2+2 around Macroom: there are no on-slips their either, so joining traffic has to stop at a stop-line until they are sure that can safely join the road. By making the cars stop, the road designers are forcing drivers to take a good look around before starting again, and it looks like this is the logic here too.

That said, this pair of junctions could have done with some stronger calming measures than just a bit of paint: hard islands, a narrowing of the mainline, barriers and so on, like Carrol’s Cross on N25. This kind of thing naturally slows traffic without needing a lower speed limit, and the hard islands prevent the exact situation the person in the article was complaining about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Google maps does not do the issue justice. I drive the road twice a week. Its a high speed stretch between delvin and mullingar and you could get caught out easily the way the turns are

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Tender our for site clearance and fencing for the N70 Blackwater Bridge to Sneem project

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/237490/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

I know they’re proceeding from East to West on this, but the section that desperately needs work is the next one to this, from Tahilla to Sneem.

Hopefully there will be a retrofit of cycle and pedestrian way on other sections of N70 - it’s a fantastic route for walking or cycle tourism, or would be if you weren’t right up against cars and trucks all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

N84 road widening of the narrow stretch north of Shrule is practically complete. Resurfaced and road markings all done. Serious effort from the contractor. Not a huge job but done in no time. Wonder if they could lend a hand with the Westport - Turlough debacle?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The new roundabout on the N24 at Caherconlish has opened. Much better than the dodgy turning that was there before.

I last came through there in October, I think it was, and there was no sign of any works then. They absolutely flew it.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

This is a drop in the ocean, but better than nothing. The R312 is an absolutely brutal road considering the amount of long distance traffic on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Westernview

Very small allocation alright. I dread facing that road each time I have to travel it. Thankfully not too often. Must be horrible to have to do it every day.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/241343/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

Ball rolling on planning and design for another 1.2km of the N56, this time on the far side of Kilmacrennan. The section between Kilmacrennan and Letterkenny was done in 2 phases in the late 00s and late 2010s.

Of course, the Letterkenny Relief Road in the Donegal TEN-T programme is the next huge section to be done here.

According to this article TII is planning a new programme of National Secondary Bypasses. Great if true 👍

N63 Liss-Abbey realignment replacing an absolutely horrific bridge over the River Abbert has been approved by An Bord Pleanala

2.3km of new single carriageway

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

Fantastic. They did a great job on the M17 to Abbeyknockmoy section when they opened the M17. This section over the river was supposed to be done shortly after, so great to see it approved.

From the plans, they will also upgrade the old carriageway to include a shared cycling and walking path.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Good. That bridge is absolutely woeful on an otherwise ok stretch of road.

Look at it for gods sake, and only a few km from the M17 junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Mentioned briefly in this post but the R313 Bangor-Belmullet Road at Glencastle has progressed to planning application;

Only 600m but takes out a bend to leave a couple of km of relatively straight road which is rare out there. Another similar scheme a little further east would also be welcome.

Latest update on minor road schemes and greenways in Mayo. Nice to see the N26 progressing, and the Ballinrobe bypass back on the agenda.

N26 Ballina by-pass: The preferred route was displayed on April 26. The options selection report is now being finalised, with design and environmental evaluation to commence in quarter 3 of this year.

N26 Mount Falcon - Foxford: A strategic assessment report has been completed and approved by Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII). The phase 1 project evaluation plan and feasibility report are currently being finalised, which will be followed by phase 2 options selection in Q3 of 2023.

N58 Foxford by-pass: The drafting of a revised strategic assessment report is ongoing following on from a TII review. It will be resubmitted for approval once complete. It is hoped that will be done soon.

N60 Heathlawn: Construction works are ongoing - completion date August 2024.

N60 Manulla: The scheme is currently at options selection stage, with a preferred route option displayed last March. The options selection report is now being finalised with design and environmental evaluation to start in Q3, 2023.

N59 Newport - Derrada: This scheme is about to proceed to tender, with a contractor to be appointed in late 2023. It should be starting on the ground before the end of the year.

N59 Newfield - Derrada: Design works will be commencing in Q3 of this year.

N60 Breaffy safety and active travel scheme: Part 8 planning was approved. Detailed design and land acquisition is now proceeding.

N60 Brickens railway overbridge: A design report is about to be submitted to TII for approval, with Part 8 planning application to follow, hopefully later this year. It is hoped the scheme will be co-funded by Irish Rail.

N59 Newport town greenway: This scheme is at phase 2 options selection stafe, with a public consultation event having taken place last December. It is hoped to have the preferred route selected later in the year.

Westport-Castlebar-Ballina greenway: A consultant was appointed for phases 0 and 1 in March. A strategic assessment report is currently being compiled. That will be worked on for the remainder of the year and when approved the project will move on to phase 1.

N60 Heathlawn - Balla active travel: Scheme is at options selection stage, with a very well attended public consultation event having taken place in April. Submissions received are now being assessed and it is hoped to have the preferred options later in the year.

Belclare to Murrisk greenway: Consultants were appointed for phases 2 to 4 last March, with the project currently at phase 2 options selection.

N84 Kilmaine - Shrule realignment at Gorteens: This scheme is substantially complete.

National road pavement overlay schemes: There are a number of projects, with a total value of €6.5 million. All schemes are at design stage, with some about to go to tender. The full list is Knockatemple, Bohola, Teeling Street, Ballina, Bunree, Ballina, Knappagh/Liscarney, Srahanarry, Srahnamanragh, Claremorris town, Tavraun, and Kilmaine village.

N84 Ballinrobe traffic lights: Funding approval has been received from TII and a design report approved. The scheme is now proceeding to tender and construction this year.

Safety schemes: A number of national road safety schemes are also being progressed, with feasibility and options reports either being prepared or already submitted to TII. Locations include N5/R320 junction; Georges Street, Newport; N17/R322 junction; N26 Foxford pedestrian lights; N17 at Applegreen; N17 Kilkelly bus stop; and N83 Tooreen pedestrian crossing, which has been approved and is now proceeding to design.

Ballinrobe bypass: With regards the N84 Ballinrobe bypass, consultants are to be appointed to carry out a strategic assessment.

Great to see progress on that list alright. The Ballina and Ballinrobe bypasses are really needed asap as traffic will only increase in the years ahead. Its a pity the Ballina one isn't crossing the Moy to the Sligo road but hopefully that will follow.

Newport-Mulranny is also important as its a treacherous road and quite busy during tourist season especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Beams were placed on the n24 tower junction on the weekend of June 25 . Starting to shape up well now

• Advertisement

The rest of the Piltown bypass will be upgraded as part of the N24 Waterford-Cahir scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

1.8 km . Gives a great idea on how the rest of it can be upgraded as part of the n24 Cahir to Waterford scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cartoncowboy

Nice little video update by Sligo Co Co on the progress being made on the N16 Lugatober scheme. This scheme is removing some bad bends on the Sligo->Enniskillen Rd and is being built with a Valley on one side and a mountain on the other, not an easy job, but good progress being made. It can't come soon enough as there was a fatality on this road last week when a motorcyclist sadly lost their life on this stretch.

Councillors in Castlebar are rejecting a proposed inclusion in the Local Area Plan of a longterm route corridor around the northern side of Castlebar. I wonder is this wise? The article says there is mention of the need for the road in the County Development plan so it must have some importance.

The following lines in the article stood out for me..

"The need for the road had now been superseded by the construction of the new N5 Westport to Turlough scheme and also the Castlebar inner relief road, which takes traffic from the N5 to the R311."

It's great to see the southern bypass open but I don't see how it helps deal with traffic from the Newport, Erris and Pontoon roads as it is difficult to cross town from these routes. Also the inner relief road mentioned is helping but it is passing through the busy shopping area of the town.

I can understand the frustrations of local landowners dealing with sterilised land but I would think that it is important to plan for the expansion of the county town, even if the road won't be happening any time soon?

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2023/07/08/councillors-want-northern-ring-road-removed-from-castlebar-area-plan/

It's always interesting when Mayo politicians say no to roads! Same thing happened recently with the Foxford bypass.

Yes I heard that. If I remember correctly one of the reasons given for blocking the Foxford bypass was that it shouldn't be done before the Mount Falcon to Foxford upgrade? It's very self-defeating in my view as the money will just go elsewhere and it won't speed up the N26 part at all.

Councillors complain about having powers taken away from them but pursuing these ideas only undermines those claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Passed by this morning and was encouraged by the work done since I last passed. The sliproads and Inkbottle link road coming together too. At this rate, it looks like it'll be open before those Carrick roadworks are done up the road, despite starting much later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Any chance someone could draw this scheme on Openstreetmap?

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Jayuu

What is all the work in Carrick about? Seems like a huge amount of disruption there over a long period. It is purely traffic calming?

• Advertisement

Traffic-calming, plus "Rehabilitation of the road surface". Sounds very like what was done at Carrols Cross on N25.

Advertisement