Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minor schemes & realignments

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

They could also toll the new road to avoid such an issue cropping up. Perhaps at a lesser cost than the Westlink to avoid the type of toll dodging that would arise.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I've heard the toll revenue angle many times before, but I don't believe it for a minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Good to see progress, although I see to recall that 15 years ago or so there was hedge clearance in the Newtownbalregan area for several years before the main work started.

Hopefully, design work will now start on a tunnel under Cullaville!

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Great round-up of all the minor projects planned and underway in Mayo in the 2024 council budget, from page 14 onwards - https://eagenda.mayo.ie/FilesUpLoaded/202311171726DraftAnnualBudget%202024.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Westernview

Great list indeed. Good to see the N26 is still progressing.

Wonder what stretch of the R312 at Glenisland is planned next.

• Advertisement

That would be 8Km of entirely new road and make the journey longer. They would be better to just pay for the bypass at Cullaville as the the Monaghan section of the N53 is pretty decent.

A short connector from the N53 to the roundabout at the end of the 2+1 section on the N2 would suffice, to bypass the built up area in Blayney.

The important thing at Cullaville is to bypass the village, 2or 3 Km of new offline road would do that, something a bit like the scheme starting now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I still think national roads shouldn't be passing through other jurisdictions. A whole new road to bypass NI and meet the N2, which will be a dual carriageway in the future.

Given the timescale required, it would be a waste of money building this expensive road when halfway through the project the border would be gone, and even if it were not the existing route would probably still be quicker owing to the shorter distance. If the N2 is improved then some of the traffic on the N53 end up on the N2 anyway. There are more deserving projects.

It's definitely good that the county council have a decent pipeline of N and R road projects, even though they tend to progress at a glacial pace!

I've tried to find more info on Glenisland phase 2 online, but to no avail. Same with the R314 and R315 projects mentioned.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

You're the second person to use the term "golfists" recently, are they not called golfers anymore?

(Not having a go, I just never heard the term "golfists" before)

I used in phrase in response to the first person who used it, I wouldn't have it in my usual vocabulary.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Updates from the Kingdom

N70 Sneem to Blackwater Bridge (Ankail to Doon)

• Land acquisition is ongoing – approx. 45% Complete.  

• Project to be constructed in two phases commencing with a 3.1km section from Tahilla to Doon (Contract 1).  

Contract 1

• Sorensen Civil Engineering Ltd has been appointed to undertake Site Clearance and Fencing Contract. Works are ongoing and due to be complete in October 2023  

• Ground Investigation and Archaeological Investigations currently being procured. 

• Detailed design is ongoing and Tender Documents are being prepared for the Main Construction Contract. Tender publication in Q4 2023 subject to necessary approvals

N70 Glanbehy Bridge 

• Environmental and Topographical surveys have been undertaken and Ground investigations were completed in Q2 2023 where access was permitted. These will inform the Design of the scheme in Q3-Q4 2023. Environmental screening will then be progressed in Q4 2023 followed by the Statutory Consent application in Q1/Q2 2024. 

• Archaeo-geophysical surveyors have been appointed and surveys were undertaken where landowner access was permitted.  

• There is ongoing consultation with Landowners as the scheme progresses

N70 Creamery Cross

• Environmental and Topographical surveys have been undertaken and Ground investigations were completed in Q2 2023. These will inform the Design of the scheme in Q3-Q4 2023. 

Environmental screening will then be progressed in Q4/2023 followed by the Statutory Consent application in Q1/Q2 2024.

• Archaeo-geophysical surveyors have been appointed and surveys will be complete later this month.  

• There is ongoing consultation with Landowners as the scheme progresses. 

N70 Waterville to Ballybrack 

• The draft Statutory Documents have been prepared and are being finalised. 

• The statutory application to An Bord Pleanála will be made in Q4 2023 subject to the necessary approvals. 

N70 Tinnahalla to Stealroe

• Archaeological and Ecological surveys are currently being undertaken. Topographic survey is complete 

• Preliminary Options are being prepared having regard to the constraints identified along this road section. 

• Engagement with the landowners is ongoing as the proposals along this section of the N70 are being developed. 

N60 Heathlawn still not drawn on OpenStreetMap. Anyone got a map?

I hadn't realised this job had even been tendered let alone started

Well advanced works underway now a few km east of Mallow.

The 3km section further east was simply transformative. The absolute worst sections of the N73 will soon be the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Drove the Piltown bypass a week or two back but forgot to post. It looks decent and will make for a much safer junction once it comes fully onstream.

However driving the 2+1 section from Mooncoin to Carrick-on-Suir did once again make me realise what a mess was made of the 2+1 road type trials (well this one definitely - but I assume the others were similar). It's an awful section of road with a poorly implemented central median and the minor road junctions are terrible for the most part because the junctions themselves almost protrude out on to the mainline making for a really unnerving driving experience. I was driving it duriing the day and it was poor so I can only think how bad it must be a nighttime or when visibility is limited. It was clearly done on the cheap and the result shows. It's such a pity because in theory 2+1 properly implemented might have been a viable imporovement option for many secondary routes but that option has now been abandoned due to the negative reaction to the original trials.

Also have to say that the amount of road traffic furniture (bollards, polls, etc) really makes the approach to Carrick-on-Suir from the Waterford side very unattractive which is an awful pity for the town. Really there should be some effort made to soften the landscape here without compromising on the safety aspect of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Link in road in navan finally starting. Will this long term become the N51?

That's good. Now they just need to build the part from Proudstown Road to Donaghmore Road (N51 east of Navan) and a whole new N51 routing is possible.

• Advertisement

Took a while but this is the route of the Glenisland phase 2 realignment. I'm not sure I agree with prioritising this bit, the section directly south of the recently opened realignment is much worse IMO.

Interesting. The council made a half arsed attempt at that bend a few years ago but it's debatable how much they improved it. This time should sort it.

Do you mean they should prioritise the section north of the last upgrade? It's quite bad there where the road hugs the meandering river.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/m3s8dhvK2ocSHunR6

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Road works starting on January 28 for 8 weeks on the r498 latttergh realignment. Advance works are bring carried out .

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭elchupanebrey

You could pick any section of that road and it would warrant an upgrade, the bit you have highlighted is terrible in fairness

I mistakenly assumed that the line highlighted on the map that you posted would bring the next improvement right up to last upgrade. So it's quite a short section to be improved then. I agree that part in between will still be quite poor.

The last section opened in 2021 so it's slow progress but at least it's progress of a sort. Perhaps longer sections will be done in future if they are easier to do. The section at the end nearest the N59 at Bellacorick for example where the road is relatively straight and just needs the hills and dips taken out along with some widening and strengthening works.

Post edited by Westernview on

Advertisement