Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭Trampas

3 finishers this year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

It was epic. It's an amazing experience. Some year to be there. Totally lucked out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Lazare

Latest ep of The Freetrail pod is an interview with John Kelly.

Fantastic listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

I have done a couple of Ultras in ireland over the past few years and i used running poles for the first time in the Ecotrail 80k last year. I have done a few trail marathons and didnt use them, Would there be a benefit in using the poles for this distance or even upto the 80k distance. Just wondering as there dont seem to be many people using them at the IMRA ultras that i have done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Depends on the legs and the climbs. My own experience is they take the pressure of the legs on a hard mountain climb, like Seven Sisters for example, but in most other runs like what IMRA have or Ecotrail there's not enough climbing or length to justify them (in my own limited experience). Did you find them useful at Ecotrail yourself?

I used them on Kerry Way Ultra last year, mostly for that short sharp climb at the first half and for bits on the second but again there's not that much climbing, hard to know if I really needed them or not

• Registered Users Posts: 15,862 ✭✭✭✭event

Hi folks. I'm thinking of doing the 24hr race in Belfast this year, never done anything like it before. Closest is probably the 4/4/48 challenge 3 years ago. 

I'm training for Cork marathon on 4th June so hopeful that training will suffice. I'm planning on using it as a dry run of a charity event where I run 100k in 24 hours, planning 1.5 miles at various locations. For this I was planning to get up to maybe 45-50 miles in the 24hrs.

Few questions that some of ye might know:

Do you think it's achievable, based on marathon training?

My plan was 2 miles every hour at 10 min mile pace. Would stopping that much be recommended? 

Do people bring tents, chairs etc? 

What do people eat? 

Complete newbie to this world so any help be appreciated :)

For anyone who is interested in the BM, this is a great video. Was privileged to spend the week with Billy and Chloe. Irish on tour!

It's a personal thing, mostly. Some races don't allow them though. One thing I would say is that for most people it's not about the distance so much as the total climb. I've done 6 day races on the flat without poles (at times I would have been happy to have them,but a pair of crutches would also have worked :) ).

For me they are at their most useful at slow running speeds. That usually means steep climbs, or most climbs of any steepness on longer race (longer in my case meaning 100 miles+, as a guidline). They can actually slow you down a bit if you're trying to go fast.

I use them for speed gains, not for "protection". Hence I usualy put them away on non-technical descents. I used to be anti-poles, but my first climb on the UTMB caused me to change my mind big time. It was clear and obvious that they have advantages.

Most IMRA ultras are (or were, as I get older) a little too fast for using poles to be benificial from my POV (MMU etc). If I was doing the Beara Way Ultra I'd probably bring them though.

Again though, unless banned, its all personal choice.

One last point. Most people I see don't use poles to their maximum effectiveness. There are techniques which can be learned.

50 miles in 24 hours off solid marathon training should be a piece of cake. Just walk it and you should exceed that easily (I've seen people walk 100 miles in a 24 hour).

Best strategy for any fixed time event is to keep your stopping to the absolute minimum required. There are only two things you should be doing during a race... moving forward, and anything required to help you move forward optimally. Stopping for 66% of the time is about as far from optimal as you're likely to get.

A lot of people bring tents and chairs. The majority probably. A lot of people have a helper, or a shared team of helpers.

If things are going well I eat nothing whatsover. I've won the race several times eating nothing whatsover. I'd recommend you keep eating to a minimum anf laugh at the noise of all the vomiters, rather than joinging them. If you are going to eat, eat something you want, preferabbly real food, not what somoebody has told you you need (or sold you on the basis that you need it).

Ask any questions you want. You'll get answers here. 24 hours seems daunting, but its really just anoher event. With your modest targets you'll be able to get maximum enjoyment out of the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,952 ✭✭✭opus

Myself & a buddy are taking part in the Rennsteiglauf on Sat week, ~74k on a very well known (in Germany) walking trail. No goals in mind we just want to enjoy it & still be running at the end.

https://www.rennsteiglauf.de/

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭sheriff2

Has the price of Ecotrail gone up significantly from last year.

Tried to rope a few non running friends into doing the 19k and they gave out about the price €74. Seems very high, cant remember what i spent on the 46k last year but its 94e now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭py

I've got a receipt from the 2020 version (eventually cancelled) for €55 but I can't recall if that was for the 29Km or 46Km route.

It's gone up slightly it looks like, I paid €100 for the 80km event in 2020 and 2021. It's a beautiful event

• Registered Users Posts: 10,142 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's ridiculously priced this year, particularly for the shorter route.

Did he tell the story about hallucinating about seeing an old school friend whilst out on the course?

In fairness to Ecotrail, they're a big international franchise with a lot of associated razzamatazz. It's a literally professionally run race. It's great that we have an event of that nature here in Ireland. But those styles of events do tend to cost more.

Having said that, we're also very lucky here in Ireland to have so many IMRA events. IMRA of course being the opposite, and is a volunteer-run organisation. Get your friends to do some of the IMRA events. 7 quid for the majority of races (And 10 euro for annual membership). Hard to beat for cost, especially given the standard of organisation. Even their longer events (There are quite a few ultras) are still relatively inexpensive.

For full disclosure, I'm on the IMRA committee (A voluntary role, of course), but I'd still be writing the same thing anyway either way. Also to note that some of the key professional organisers of the Ecotrail also volunteer their time to help with IMRA events. They give plenty back to the broad hill running community.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Lazare

Haha, he did indeed. Crazy story. How real it felt for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

There's a great interview with Keith Russell on a podcast called "Any Given Runday" where he assisted the world record for the Back Yard Ultra in Germany last year with 89 hours. He talks about his training for Big Dog's back yard ultra in Tennessee this October. Really good listen

Congrats on Tor des Glaciers @Enduro, amazing running 👏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

For those of you into Ultras in Germany there is one coming up that might pique the interest so thought I would info dump it here.

Been traveling back and forth to Germany a bit recently due to a partner being stuck here on a contract for a few months. Getting to know the local runs and stuff and decided to do the Frankfurt Marathon that's coming up myself.

But a couple of hours from Frankfurt Airport (actually there are other airports that might be more suitable like nurnberg) there is one called the Taubertal 100.

Big event with medival dress up party, finisher medals, optional 5 course Medieval "knights dinner", and a finishers Tshirt I think.

The routes are 50km, 70km, 100km, 100 miles, and 200km.

I would totally need to change my training plan and regime to run this myself. But might consider it for next year. But the details are here for anyone who might be in Germany or thinking to travel for an Ultra of any sort:

https://www.taubertal100.de/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Wicklow Way Race going South to North tomorrow. Starts at 9pm from Carlow and finishes in Marlay park. 21 hour time limit.

For anyone who follows any backyard ultra's, Big Backyard world championship is happening in Tennessee this weekend. Ireland have two runners going - Keith Russell (89 Hours PB) and Jivee Tolentino (from the Philippines but got a ticket from winning the 2022 Ireland satellite championship last october 62 Hours PB).

The current world record is 102 hours which was set by an australian in June. I think we're going to see well above 100 in this race.

Here is the youtube link that they will be doing live streams from every hour: Conversations by the Woodpile - YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭marathon2022

They are nearly at the 48 hour mark. Apparently this is when the race really starts

The Australian version leading up to this was something else.

Watching bigs live it seems Keith Russell has completed the current 46 laps quickest of all remaining contestants, not sure if this is a good or bad thing. Good luck to him

72 hours down and 23 on the course

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭TheRef

I've been following Keith on the tracker since Sunday and I just can't understand how someone is capable of doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Great effort from the Irish lad, 74 laps, 308 miles, took a bow at that,I reckon he's fast asleep now. Looks like the guys from the Australian one are right in the mix again. Might be Thursday before we see a winner

How do they survive without sleep. Barely enough time to eat, drink and use the toilet. Would even 10 minutes dose have any benefit

Its unbelievable what they've been able to achieve, i've had the live stream up since Saturday. Only 9 more hours until the world record is matched and the fact there is still 8 people left is outrageous!! It'll be interesting when it goes back to the trail in a few hours who can last until the WR.

Just listened to Keith on RTE there a few mins ago and he's doing Dublin Marathon this Sunday, the man is a machine!!

• Advertisement

7 gone out on lap 99

Advertisement