Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Discussion Thread

Options
1575859606163»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Enduro

10 minutes would be hugely benificial. You could easily get another 6 or 8 hours out of it. But eventually the cumulative lack of sleep will be terminal to one's race in this format.

An adventure racing team at the AR world champs tried to go non-stop one time many years ago. They were leading until the last section about 5 days IIRC, and then just completely blew. Their minds were gone completely, and they were overtaken by a team known for taking longer sleeps than most other teams. So that's an illustration of what is possible.

And just like that, 3 left to equal the world record. If I had to pcik the likely winner, I'd go for Ihor, the Canadian.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,396 ✭✭✭Trampas

Could it be a case you go in for that 10 minute nap and just can’t be woken for whatever reason

That's one of the most important roles of a support crew. It would make it more unlikely you'd be able to get to sleep if you were stressed about needing to wake yourself up. And if you don't have the discipline to get up when woken then you're not going to get very far in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

My last LOS I did was without a crew, sleeping through the alarm was definitely my biggest fear. You never properly relax on the down time.

Harvey, arguable, has the most experience in Backyards in the world but I was still surprised he won. Looked out of it on a good few yards and managed to get back into it. He's such an impressive runner. Normally when you start getting so close to being timed out it ends fairly abruptly.

Jivee had an amazing run and a pretty big pb. He'll crack the 100 no doubt.

Keith will be back wiser again and now with the experience of bigs course and the weather he'll nail the 100 plus aswell I'd say. His pace was pretty spicy but in more Irish conditions I'd say he'd have kept going for alot longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Signed up for my first and second ultra for next year!

Doing the 50k In Donadea in February and then signed up to the Wild Atlantic Ultra 50 mile race in May, really looking forward to both.

Starting working with an Ultra coach there after the Dublin Marathon, for the 50k i'm happy enough because its "only" 8km more than a marathon and have maintained my training but then going to put a 16-18 week plan in for the 50 mile race.

Has anyone done the Wild Atlantic Ultra and can give any advice?

In terms of training approach, I wouldn't regard an 80K race as being notably different to a marathon/50k. Just a slower race pace on the day is the main thing.

Ed McGroarty (from a few posts above right here) is currently representing Ireland in the world 24-hour running championships out in Taiwan. You can see the live results feed here https://bao-ming.com/eb/rt/5713. Anne Jennings is also representing us in the Female race.

Both are going really well right now and both look like they could break their PBs (which is the national record in Ed's case) if they can keep their current pace. If I'm reading the results correctly then Ed is currently in the silver medal position, comfortably, in his World Masters Category. The Masters world champs are being run concurrently.

Chances of world records are looking good at the front end of the race. The pace is extremely fast across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,963 ✭✭✭opus

The week of dot watching that is the Spine race is here again, very best of luck to Enduro!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Well done @Enduro, how'd you find it this year?

What do you all recommend for headlamps that last at least all night? I had the Silva Ultra Trail Free, was great, is broken, need a new one!

I got a Ledlenser NEO10R for the Kerry Ultranite last year & am very happy with it, battery was still going strong when I turned it off after sunrise. Needless to say other headlamps are available!

I'm currently writing my race report for my blog... will get there! The course was the fastest ever in winter. The weather was almost perfect, except when it wasn't and became dangerously horrendous for a few hours. An interesting mix! I was my least competitive (older and much slower), but had a lot of fun out there with so many great people.

There are lots of headtorches that will last all night. There are a few other factors you need to consider requirements for. Amount of light (All night at high power will need a bigger battery capacity, as well as a more powerful lamp). And whether it needs to be fully waterproof is another one. Some people like to be able to switch batteries rather than having to recharge as well. So no single answer.

Having said that, I have a great Silva torch that lasts all night, and has interchangeable batteries. They have a good range. I probably use my MH10 more than any other torch. Simple but effective. Enough power for me on its middle setting, and interchangeable batteries. More showerproof than waterproof though. I have a few smaller petzls for backup. Again, good enough. Black Diamond torches are very good bang for buck. Tend to be well-rated for waterproofness too. If money is no object then Lupine is the best I've ever come across. That's my #1 torch. Bought to find hidden books in forests at night. I can program it to suit my own specs using an App on my phone. Top quality piece of kit. There's also tons of Chinese brand torches with interesting specs. Haven't tried those, but hear good things about some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

"Bought to find hidden books in forests at night" 😀 Thanks Enduro, I like the Silva head torch too, comfortably lasts all night on the battery pack, figured I'd have a look around since it broke (it's a bit fragile)

Advertisement