Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best GAA Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Our game would be my favourite listen and even though I couldn't disagree more with most of Parkinson's Covid opinions Smaller Fish can be very entertaining, Football and Hurling pod's from Off the Ball can be decent too, James Skehill's obvious distain towards Davy Fitz is pretty funny. Dalo's examiner pod is decent too but too much horse talk foe me at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Smaller Fish one for this weekend poor enough, he does have some very good ones in fairness. Asks Aaron Kernon a question about Donegal needing to match Derry game plan, he replies that Donegal at this stage need to bring their own game considering it's their 10th Ulster final in 12 years. Wooly completely ignores his assessment and goes off on one of his long long questions, refers to Eamonn 3 times as it's for him and not bold boy Aaron who has too much independent thought 😂.

Eanonn O'Callaghan doesn't really say an awful lot, comes across a decent sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭spakman

Yeah, too much consensus on most podcasts I find. I don't know if they subconsciously pick guests they agree with, or if it's intentional. But differing views would be welcome so there can be a discussion on the pros and cons of both views -without a staged conflict of views for the sake of it of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I must say I enjoy them all my big issue at the moment is I haven't time to listen to them all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

The RTE podcast is terrible at this stage. Rory O Neill broadcasting from his Mams attic. His nodding head and pursed lips point to is mimicking of proper American counterparts who actually know their sport. Loves the rules does our Rory. He claimed Cork Club hurling is the only place where hurling is reffed according to the book. When he's challenged on anything he fades like a shadow when the light comes on. The Wexford guy is clueless.

Anthony Dalys pod could do with some variety. A woman's voice wouldn't go astray as long as its not "Ursula the terrible'..Its as if Leinster doesn't exist on it aswell. Thats fine by me but does miss a demographic. Mark Landers shouting is quiet funny..'Come ere, ..can ye hear meh, my horse Nora got covered at the wakend'.

Woolberto is doing OK. He's got a willingness to adapt and learn that someone like 'the O Neill' doesn't. Oliver Baker can be good as he explains the obvious as a relevation. It's funny. He does look at things differently though... usually wrongly.

Verney and Stapleton...average. Stapleton tries hard. Carey and Richie can be good of a Thursday. Carey telling the guys he knocked a guy out with a punch was gas. Always the hint of danger with Carey as a player and a pundit. Pure Limerick. I love how he can't describe 'running fast as 'running fast'. It has to be ..this guy has some 'pins' or 'wheels'. Brilliant.

Verneys hair journey is worth watching on YouTube. I can see him getting a pair of non prescription hipster glasses before the season ends. Wait for it. May make him look intelligent but his accent will always let him down badly. It's as bad as the worst Dub or Nordie accent .

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,388 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Shane Stapleton comes across as a complete know-it-all on his show and has no right to do-so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

It’s all just people spouting their opinions, that’s sort of what podcasts are

was always a wooly fan right back to newstalk days and honestly planned to subscribe to his patroen account once the championship kicked off but it feels to me like overkill, too many shows and simply don’t have the time to listen to them all. I don’t think I’ll bother now, I’m happy with the gaa hour, osullivan doing a good job, it’s light hearted and has good guests covering all the angles.

O'Sullivan and light hearted aren't words I'd put together!

• Advertisement

Sounds like you just don't want to pay to listen to Wooly .

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

If you want to continue enjoying his podcasts, I'd avoid following him on twitter. He comes across as an almighty prick!

My politics would be centre right similar to Woolys so I like his twitter stuff aswell.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Not at all,its only a fiver! it’s a simple matter of too much content, obviously some people want to listen to loads of podcasts but with a 5 day commute being a thing of the past for me I don’t have time for the 6hours of shows he releases each week (where he has to hold certain content for different shows so just listening to a few shows mean you lose out). An hour or two suits me better

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

I find Wooly's questions to be way too long. I also find it to be a bit too "rehearsed" at times where everyone agrees with his statement/questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Diarmuid Lyng also has that habit of the questions being very long-winded, including several suggested answers in there

• Registered Users Posts: 17,722 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyhow lots of podcasts now and plenty of choice to suit whatever style podcast you want. Never been more choice.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 37,917 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dalos Podcast going behind a paywall starting next week (irish examiner subscription)

Even though its really a 'pub talk' type podcast it was an easy listen too pass the time and disappointing its going this way but that's the way things work now I suppose

Already paying for Spotify and not mad about adding another cost to the month with this

I'd say they'll lose alot of listeners to be honest, pricy enough compared to the likes of Colm Parkinson's pod, alot of choice these days too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭brookville

All these kinda things are going this way. I see the 42 app also going this way.The likes of the Irish independent app on the phone used to have loads more stories but now its very limited.I wouldn't be suprised to see less choices in the future being free. I pay for wollys and I enjoy most podcasts but i don't think people are going to pay for a few different ones.Not much in life free these days. I can definitely see many more going this way

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Yeah I won't be subscribing to it either. It was an easy listen but a bit too much pub talk as you say. The production values are quite poor and especially so when likes of Daly ends up calling in from his mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭YabaDabaDooley

Yea won't be subscribing myself. Liked the podcast but too much horse racing chat and fantasy GAA nonsense. No GAA GO for me, no Dalo, who's next for the chop?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

Another victim of subscription fatigue here. Struggle to find the time to listen to all the free podcasts anyway so will stick with Off the Balls hurling pod before that inevitably goes behind a pay wall too!

Had subscribed to Smaller Fish which was excellent and only unsubscribed to cut back some costs

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭MattressRick

I found Landers a hard listen. I couldn't stick around long enough to wait for actual hurling talk. Would be too much of a stretch to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭C4000

Probably will subscribe to the Examiner podcasts.....already subscribed to smaller fish, our game and second captains......works out about 25 a month, which is well worth it for me given the amount I'd listen.

Now that they are charging for it, they should invest a few quid in getting decent mics and improving the sound quality which is often poor. Also be harder to forgive some of the occassional bluffing...eg... talking about matches they haven't watched as they were off at Cheltenham or rugby matches etc....

The Examiner football podcast is actually fairly decent, even though I'm much more interested in hurling. Best show I listened to in ages was their Paidi O Se tribute a couple months back....absolutely outstanding show.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The problem with Dalo's show in regards to subscribing is you are not paying for his show but paying the full Examiner subscription fee. It's too much if you only use the paper for Dalo and there is no guarantee the money goes back into the show.

If you could just pay a few quid for Dalo on Patreon I would do it but I ain't paying a full IEx sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

In fairness, I find the Examiner's sport coverage to be excellent - especially for GAA. I got a deal to subscibe a few months ago. Will probably renew.

On their podcasts, I enjoy the hurling one more than the football - I just can't warm to Paul Rouse as a presenter. In saying that, the analysis on the football one is better.

I noticed aswel that the examiner football show still came up on my spotify, seems a bit to me like the examiner's listeners would predominantly be from Munster and the crown jewel is the behind the paywall and the less popular (although very good) show is still available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Treble double

Football podcast still free, great that's a good show

Advertisement