Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best GAA Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭quidel7

The interview with Darren McCurry this week was excellent. The interviewees seem far more relaxed to talk openly and frankly than other podcasts. It’s been a great addition to my podcast listens.

Fair play to Parkinson. He was brave to decide to go it alone but it seems to have been a good success so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Patreon take 8% on average, Very early to assume he'll maintain his audience. Tax, Paying pundits etc surely takes a good chunk too.

More power to him for doing what he's doing, Personally can't warm to him and his voice goes through me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭big_drive

If anything I think he'll grow the numbers. It's seriously good value for €5 a month

It is great value. I’m sure though he will soon reach the limit of his potential market soon.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Can only see listenership going up over the summer tbh with the championship etc.

What he does with club season will be the big thing I think. He just has to keep the coverage at a decent level so existing subscribers don't go to the effort of cancelling - which shouldn't be very hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Can't stand 'Off the Ball' anymore. They are all left wing campaigners at this stage. Wokesters the whole lot of em. It's a huge turn off for anyone who's abit conservative or right wing. Leave politics out of Sport.

Anthony Daly's podcast is good. All naturally amiable guys and knowledgeable. Obviously it's Munster centric which is ok but they could certainly do with a female guest from time to time and some younger contributers. Daly dies 'ham' it up at times with his put on accents and stuff. But TJ is fantastic.

Again Verney and Stapleton is not for me. Verney hurts my ears with his accent and he's a complete bluffer. He's usually clueless about Clare, Limerick, Cork hurling. And his 'scoops ' from insiders are made up..definitely.

Woolberto I Subscribe to. Hes actually a humble guy . He makes guests comfortable and he asks hard questions. In saying that Ollie Baker is clueless as is Damian Hayes. His farming thing is poison. I'm from a farming background and Damien Hayes sounds like a farmer from 1890.. He is genuine but youd have to wonder is he the full Schilling.

The Cork guy on the RTe podcast...hes terrible . Its a rubbish podcast. The people on it have zero charisma...

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭KerryM9

There's nothing to expand on really if you ever heard Off the ball. They push a left wing narrative on their shows. Didn't they preach about the lack of 'diversity' in women's sport and all 4 of them on the show were white Irish fellas and no hint of irony..Youd have to laugh at their cluelessness. They also go on about PGA Golfers being republican as if that was a bad thing. It never stops with them . They think they are the consciousness of the 'real ' sports followers in Ireland when all they are is a couple of nerdy ,beta blokes looking for the popularity they couldn't get in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

This is genuienly on-the-ball in regards to what Off The Ball is like these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

If the GAA Hour want to keep the following they built up when Parkinson was presenting they have a funny way of going about it, no preview show for this weekend, the penultimate round of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭KerryM9

This is one toxic pile of crap, and no surprise you click with Wooly given the nonsense he comes out with

What's 'toxic'about it. Wooly leaves his politics at the door. The boys on Off The Ball don't. They think they speak for 'Ireland' ..It couldn't be further from the truth. Lots of podcasts out there for politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will sign upto small Fish and Our Game for the championship months.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

To be fair about it, that's not really true, a la Conor Meyler and his stance on the LGFA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Some great podcasts on the GAA social, a few with Tyrone lads, Gooch one is great, Graham Geragthy after his illness.

Oisin McConville surprised me, some great questions, a complete sports fanatic, especially GAA.

The Smaller Fish is well worth it. The Sunday night release of a podcast is a great job and gets the jump on all of the other podcasts released Ona Monday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Think that's targeting Monday morning commuters too so its smart.

Listened to ‘The GAA Hour’ with O’Sullivan and McGee. It was an OK start but they’ve some work to do to to gain traction in the market I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,770 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anthony Dalys podcast wasn't bad this week. Liam Sheedy on it

So much 'talking down' of certain teams esp Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

RTE podcast is fine. Some of your comments here are just vile.

Don't care if he leaves his politics at the door on the podcast. His behavior on Twitter was enough for me. Not to mention dappling in conspiracy theories. His treatment of Tom Parsons when the GPA supported the Green Proposal was disgraceful. Kept shouting over him when he disagreed. Wasn't professional at all.

I didnt hear Parkinsons interview with Parsons. I ll take your word for it. When he loses his cool he sounds screechy. I wouldnt accept any of my contributions to be 'vile'. That's just you losing your cool and its wrong for you to go down that route. Focus on the point. Its a genuinely held opinion. That's what this forum is for. Seems like politics is ok in sport for some as long as it follows a certain left wing narrative. If someone's politics isn't woke or progressive or just left wing then their opinion is 'wrong'. So it's better to leave politics at the door. There's no need for it in sport. There's plenty of Conservatives out there who are sick of being preached to by lads on sports podcasts .

Didn't lose my cool. You resorted to insults rather than actual criticism. Stop trying to turn this into a left wing v right issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭spakman

He's right though. the lads on OTB would give you a pain in your hole at times. The Djokovic Aussie open thing being a case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

James O'Donoghue has been a good addition to the football pod.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Would have to agree with this, they're insufferable at times.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

Very entertaining post! Agree on OTB being up it's own hole, the 7 - 7:30 live bit is just mouthy lads rambling on...one lad in particular some boy for yapping.

Wooly being a "humble guy" made me laugh! I subscribe to the Smaller Fish podcast and it's based on him having good guests & analysts, he struggles with basic English at times and his pronouncing any Irish location other than the 32 counties and a few cities is cat altogether - but worth the €6.25/month!

The 1st GAA hour with Darren O'Sullivan was good enough, no harm having a slightly different one with new voices.

The Examiner football and hurling podcasts are very good, Oisin McConville a gas man but bit of a bluffer IMO.

Agree 100% on Rory O'Neill being a hard listen and the tired old RTE approach, do we need to hear any more of Pat Spillane & Co?

Your comments on Verney sound like a personal issue, he's played bit of county and with successful Birr teams so worth listening to I'd say. His accent is genuine midlands, better than most!!

I can agree about the two lads in the morning but they generally have good content and guests on.

• Advertisement

I think Verney is good. He'll actually make an effort to look up what is going on in other counties for hurling whereas other podcasts just ignore everything outside the top 10.

Advertisement