Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best GAA Podcasts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

Use to do one myself. Great debate and chat. But I had to give it up. Too much Politics involved. You know your self

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Does "the football pod" with Paddy Andrews and James O'Donoghue count as OTB ? I find it very entertaining, covers the football well and gives insights form quite recently retired players.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Apologies, I went off on a tangent based on previous comments. It was more the OTB lads in studio/radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

Best to not say anything. You wouldn't know who is on Boards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

After what Woolie did to Eddie Brennan?

No chance Tommy ends up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Late answering the question but they announced this week that the hurling podcast will be back this Tuesday (April with Diarmuid Lyng as the host.

I'm not sure I've ever even heard the man speak so I've no clue how good a host he will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭spakman

He used to be a regular on Off the Ball years ago from what I remember.

Has a real Wexford accent is the main thing I remember! Came across as a nice guy, not sure what sort of host he'll make.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭deisedude

He is a big hippy from what I remember from Laochra Gael

• Registered Users Posts: 14,352 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Thoroughly enjoyed Joe.ie's The GAA Hour hurling podcast today. Three good hurling minds with Lyng, Paudie Maher, and James Ryall. Much better job than what Wooly did with hurling on the GAA hour I think. But to be fair, he never played hurling.

Edit: phone keyboard originally autocorrected from Ryall to Ryan

Post edited by munsterdevil on

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

James Ryall.

It was a good listen alright. I was surprised when Lyng started to wrap things up as I didn't think they had going for an hour. Can't give much higher praise than that.

My early impressions are that Joe have done a good job replacing Parkinson and rebooting the show. Lyng and O'Sullivan aren't trying to replicate his style at all and that's a good thing. It'd be very obvious if they got someone in and told them to be a "character" like Wooly. Wouldn't work as people would see through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Are Off the Ball doing anything on hurling recently?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

BBC social is great, with an understandable bias towards all things Ulster football.

Some really great guests; this week it was Mickey Harte with Peter Canavan. Rivalries aside the top personalities seem to trust/respect McConville. Niblock is the perfect foil, knowledgeable but very genial likeable fella. The episode where Canavan and McConville picked the best combined Armagh/Tyrone team was great for the mind games. Canavan(despite being the greatest player I saw) didn't put himself on the team so he could get an extra Tyrone player on. It was great listening to an enduring rivalry compete with the huge respect they had for each other along with the knowledge they both had to go home!

I must get my ass up from the South East for an Ulster championship game this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Any of these actually analyse games or key phases of games?

All seem to be the same - 4 heads split screen, ' Hoywa lads' setup.

Would be interesting if someone actually analysed key aspects of the game over video in detail.

Currently the podcasts are just saying ' Limerick are back all right, Where do cork go from here? ', quite basic stuff.

Maybe it is image rights of RTE that is preventing this .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭deisedude

They have a new podcast called The Hurling Pod with James Skehill, Paul Murphy and the host is Will O'Callaghan. Haven't listened to it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I do like Oisin and think he's probably the best pundit out there, but he's been talking some amount of nonsense this week defending his nephew and his county. Such as on Second Captains today:

'Oisin, you are stating that Donegal orchestrated this whole thing and are trying to pull a fast one. What proof do you have of this?'

'Eh, buh, buh, I mean its obvious isn't it?'

On a separate note, I thought he was very good going head to head with Joe Brolly on the GAA Social a few months back, not an easy feat against someone who can't keep quiet for 10 seconds at a time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Ah OK so it's a separate pod, I had been checking OTB gaa as they'd put it out under that previously.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

We started up our Clash Act podcast again in the last month if anyone is interested

Recent Guests included

• Colin Fennally
    • Tom Dempsey
    • Mattie Forde
    • Ryan O'Dwyer

Could few more lined up over next few weeks, with Charlie Carter scheduled to be our next guest

https://scoreline.ie/category/podcast/the-clash-act/

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭tvpc

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Why is it cringe? The GAA have basically no unionists or Protestants playing hurling or Gaelic. Any bit of diversity is good. All the Poles we have and only Timmy Wilk playing for his county and he's under 20

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

That style of video is cringe. I don’t care where the person is from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

RTE podcast is seriously getting on my nerves lately, the constant sticking the boot into this years calendar before the full intercounty and club year plays out stinks off self interest.

On it today they mentioned how Munster hurling is stronger than Leinster at the moment 100% correct but they mentioned how poor Leinster championship would be without Kilkenny and Galway, taught was just daft, I'd say almost every competition in any sport would be poorer without the top 33% of teams in it, there argument is like saying the premier league wouldn't be the same without Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs,Arsenal and 2 Manchester clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I haven't watched video but it says on the thumbnail the name Oisin so he wouldn't be from the unionist community. It is common in County Derry for people to never follow GAA, even Catholics.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I have listened to the BBC One but I am not a big fan of Niblick, i don't enjoy him as a commentator probably because he doesn't have the voice for it. Jimmy Smyth was a good BBC commentator. I think accent is an issue too, the well spoken south Derry accent is a dull one, I have the same accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Had to turn off the GAA hour this week. Genuinely couldn't listen to dotsy o Callaghan my god that accent is grating. I'm sure he's a lovely fella all the same but jaysus

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭westsidestory

My issue with it is the perennial RTE employee being involved unnecessarily. Rory O'Neill is producer or something of The Sunday Game, why is he a constant on the podcast? Sometimes thinks he is hosting and doing analysis at same time - always has a funny story that gets radio silence followed by forced laughter 😃.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Yeah he's the Sunday Game producer, always get the sense its the 1 platform he's not behind the screen so he's making sure to get his point and agendas across.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Had a listen to the gaa hour this week for the first time in a long time and it's gone fairly downhill. Very lightweight stuff, coming out with gems like "if you are not set up defensively you are going to be under pressure in croke park". Their Munster final preview consisted of "were all going for Kerry yeah? OK moving on" and the leinster final preview wasn't much better. Giving the Paul rouse/examiner one a listen now and it's miles ahead

Advertisement