Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 - Round 4: Azerbaijan

Options
  • 24-04-2023 10:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭

And F1 is finally back after a stupidly long gap. Timings as follows (it's a sprint weekend, and the order is TBC due to probable changes to the sprint qualifying):

• Friday
      • FP1: 10:30
      • Qualifying (currently for the sprint, but expected to switch to be qualifying for the race): 14:00
    • Saturday
      • FP2 (currently, but expected to switch to qualifying for the sprint): 10:30
      • Sprint race: 14:30
    • Sunday
      • Race: 12:00
    • Channel 4 times:
      • Saturday highlights: 19:50
      • Sunday highlights: 17:30

Current Driver Top 5:

1. Max Verstappen - 69
    2. Sergio Perez - 54
    3. Fernando Alonso - 45
    4. Lewis Hamilton - 38
    5. Carlos Sainz - 20

Current Constructor Top 5:

1. Red Bull - 123
    2. Aston Martin - 65
    3. Mercedes - 56
    4. Ferrari - 26
    5. McLaren - 12

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It's kind of mad that, unless I've missed it, we don't actually have official confirmation of the format for this weekend coming, do we?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Indestructable

I looked yesterday evening and couldn't find actual confirmation yet either. Even Sky were advertising the "old" format during the soccer yesterday. Hopefully will be settled today.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,658 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I love Baku. It looks like a beautiful city. Would love to visit it sometime but probably never will. Love the race here. Always lots of action in this race. Who knows might even go see it live.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I would like to see the qualy be for the race, like F2, and then reverse grid the top 8 for the sprint. Keeps things interesting.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Max ftw, maybe checo but only if max has a problem or too far down.

if checo is in front he will be asked/told to move over or given a full wet strat in a completely dry race...

merc / Aston second best

Ferrari probably even farther back

McLaren maybe a slight improvement.

Alpine could do well Williams/ Haas pulling up the rear with alfa and alpha just existing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

It was something that I was supposed to put in a different thread so nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,533 ✭✭✭✭klose

I imagine every team should have a hefty amount of upgrades this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This is it. Some teams are going for a major upgrade in one go and others were hoping for small upgrades each week. In both cases they had a month to bring upgrades to this race. It will be interesting to see if any teams make a big step (except red bull)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭flazio

After fans got beyond the track barriers in Melbourne, and the protesters getting on the Formula E grid in Berlin, I reckon we might be getting tighter security this weekend. OK maybe Baku isn't considered high risk, but neither was Berlin, or any electric race.

Order of the weekend confirmed on the F1 App.

Edit: @dulpit says they're voting on the order of the weekend later today so this is only provisional for now.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

Azerbaijan is a reasonably big oil producer with a state owned oil company. It would be as good a target as anywhere else. I don't know how the protest groups pick their targets though or what calculations go into it. I'd imagine security will be heightened.

The F1 commission is voting today on the proposed changes to order, so I assume we'll know more later today...

Ah fair one. I thought once it was on the app it was the actual order. Thanks. I'll edit the post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So happy this is back, looking forward to seeing if Mclaren actually did anything as they promised they would have their upgrades by Azerbaijan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

They pick their targets based on convenience to them and no more! You don’t get to Baku on a cheap easyJet flight from Stanstead so it’s fairly safe from those eco zealots for now

Bit cynical. I'd imagine they also pick local events for sensible logistical reasons and knowledge of the lacal are.

I don’t know if they have many climate activists in Azerbaijan. I don't hear about them anyway. We'll find out over the weekend.

Ms

A nice evening race lovely. Love the evening races :)

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭McFly85

With the amount of upgrades expected, it weirdly feels like starting the season again!

McLaren had been talking about Baku upgrades since Bahrain so it’ll be very interesting to see how they are looking. Ferrari too, they’ve looked mediocre at best so far.

Could see Checo winning if he can get the edge in quali(big ask!), he likes a street circuit. But it will probably be Max.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,332 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I'd be surprised if there is protests. Azerbaijan is a country where if you get arrested you might not get out for a long time (or even see a court).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,176 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Jail in UK or Germany unlikely

Beaten up in custody in Baku highly likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

So is this a trail for this race only or for the other Sprints this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

What is the point of this new format? They say the Friday qualifying session will determine the grid for the main race on Sunday rather than previously when quali determined the order for the sprint the outcome of which determined the grid for Sunday.

Am I interpreting the article correctly?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Yup that is it. They qualify for the main race on Friday after FP1. Saturday is the qualy for the sprint (which has its own rules around it now) and then Sprint itself.

It might be fun...not sure where the grid penalties apply though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

• Registered Users Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So, everyone's favourite topic. Penalties. What happens if you misbehave or change parts on the Friday? Is that ignored until Sunday? Likewise if you knacker the car in the Sprint and need penalised parts do you lose the grid slot you legit earned on Friday?

Ms

What a mess. It makes no sense. It should have been much better to have FP1 and then the Spging race on the Ffiday and then the actual Qualifying on the Saturday tgat way if there are any penalty or any cheating or new parts needed from crashs from it it coukd be applied.

At the moment I think it is going to anoy some people who have jobs on a Friday and will not be able to see the actual qualifying live abd it will also mess people skipping or not bothering to watch the sprint races and spring qualifying which I have no problem with. People have a life too. This is now going to take up three days of their weekend. I see some people just recording and watching the main qualifying on a Saturday instead.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Lip Out

Have zero interest in any form of sprint bullsh*t. It's just a shame they didn't put all of it on the Friday when people are working and leave us watch the proper stuff on the weekend.

• Advertisement

If people record it and watching later, so what? I imagine they calculate it in terms of eyeballs*minutes watched. They've created more significant content so they're more likely to get more minutes viewed over the weekend than normal. I imagine viewership will be higher for Friday quali than it ever would be for FP2, for example. And spring quali will get more than FP3. The sprint will probably be similar to regular quali, so no imagine they're winning over the course of the weekend.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement