Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i Rent or sell my house ?

Options
  • 07-04-2023 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi.

Im a home owner in Dublin -( no mortgage ).. Im moving to Spain and id like to rent my house.. Is this a bad idea in the current housing market ? Would it be better to sell ?

Id like to rent if possible but id be concerned if i did tenents wouldn't leave if i wanted to return in a couple of years .

Im just concerned i could be walking into lot of trouble if i rented out my house in the housing crisis as it is ?..

Any info be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭The Ging and I

Sell sell sell, don't complicate your life. Enjoy Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

Sell OP. Renting could work out well if you get really lucky with good tenants but the landlord experience could also cost you very dearly in terms of time and money, especially if you did want to return someday. It’s not worth the risk or the hassle being a small scale landlord in this country. If your move to Spain is permanent then it’s a no-brainer, sell!

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rustyman101

Sell 100 times over, we are heading into uncharted territory as regards property rights in Ireland IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭Homer

sell it and invest the funds into a pension fund that will deliver good returns without the hassle and stigma that comes with being a single property landlord in this country. And as mentioned it’s only going to get worse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭wildwillow

SELL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Sell.

If you rent it out, the Left will hate you.

Post edited by NewbridgeIR on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭DubCount

Sell

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Could Sinn Fein, Holli Cairns, Paul Murphy, Threshold, Focus and all the rest of them please take note of the answers in this thread, and therein is your answer as to why there are no houses to rent in Ireland anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Redders8282

Sell, buy as many rental properties you can afford in Spain and either rent them out long-term or throw on AirB&B

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Sell, sell, sell and don't look back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,757 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Living abroad with no mortgage changes everything. You pay 20% tax and keep the rest. Decent tenants and you will have a nice income in Spain.

Only reason to not be a landlord is tied to being here, paying 52% tax and having a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'm also kinda in the OP's position and am wondering whether to rent long-term or sell. Interesting to get people's perspective. The rental market is really fecked isnt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Haven’t posted on boards in a long time - but seen your post and had to respond to it - take it from me do not become a small landlord in this country it’s not worth the stress and hassle - If your move is permanent SELL

It's only hassle here because you can't make money doing it. But if you are making 15- 20k a year, it's defo worth the hassle.

Get yourself a decent maintenance guy who can fix stuff for you and a shop that will install any new white goods. Covers 99% of what will go wrong.

If you were just moving to Kerry I'd say sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭normanbond

Agree with the above.

The public conversation about renting is all about the tenant, there is little or no sympathy for the landlord.

The government has a big tax take from the landlord while the landlord deals with rising mortgage rates, tradesmen & materials rising costs, tenant issues etc.

The PTRB are heavily weighted in favour of the tenant, no real recourse if a tenant trashes your place or does a bunk on rent!

Your house may need expensive upgrades to adhere to new rental regulations.

A new Sinn Fein type government will be coming after your hard earned income to distribute amongst their ‘voters’.

Sorry for the bleakly painted picture of today’s small scale landlord ……,

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Do you have a temperature? What a questions.

SELL SELL SELL.

Why would you rent in this anti-landlord, housing crisis environment. No rent is worth the hassle.

Once you have a tenant in now you are stuck with them. It is near impossible to get them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

The government has a big tax take from the landlord while the landlord deals with rising mortgage rates, tradesmen & materials rising costs, tenant issues etc.

Every single one of those is deductible as an expense against tax. That is of course if the teneancy is RTB registered (which the landlord is legally obliged to)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭herbalplants

Leave it empty for a year until you fully know you want to live in Spain for the rest of your life.

Or rent one room, lock the other rooms for your own use.

What I am trying to say is make sure you don't realise after few months Spain wasn't really for you and cannot buy back in Ireland.

Living the life

Rising mortgage rates is not tax deductable??????

Since 2019, 100% of mortgage interest accrued is deductible against the rent for tax purposes. Tenancies must be RTB registered to avail of this and other allowable deductions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Didn't know those expenses were deductible against tax - how does that work exactly?

Yes interest not mortgage rates. Big difference

Same as any other deduction on an annual return. Keep the receipts and plug in the relevent deductions.

Other deductions permitted besides mortgage interest for landlords:

General expenses

Allowable expenses include:

• rates you pay to a local authority for the property
    • rents you pay for property such as ground rents
    • insurance premiums against fire and public liability
    • maintenance of your property such as cleaning, painting and decorating
    • property fees before you first rent out your property such as management, advertising, legal or accountancy fees
    • cost of any service or goods you provide that are not repaid by your tenant (such as electricity, central heating, telephone, service charges, water and refuse collection).
    • certain mortgage protection policy premiums
    • expenses in between renting out the property in certain circumstances
    • capital allowances
    • repairs, such as rot treatment, mending windows, doors or machines
    • certain pre-letting expenses on vacant residential property
    • the cost of registering with the Residential Tenancies Board (RTB).

?

Your "mortgage rate" is your mortgage interest accrued, which is deductible against the rent taken-in for tax for landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Ah right, sorry I thought you said deductible against tax.

I was thinking for a minute there you meant that all those expenses could be deducted from the tax due and wondering why on earth landlords talk about high taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Its a no brainer to sell , but what about CGT? Could more be made by renting in the long run depending on the worth of the house.

In a roundabout way it is. Johnny taxpayer (including renters need we say it)and the exchequer essentially cover the mortgage interest risk premium for landlords (and much more besides) via forgone taxation. You can radically reduce your tax bill on rental income if you box clever.

If Irish landlords are playing an béal bocht, perhaps they should light a candle for their counterparts in the UK, where George Osborne completely got rid of interest relief for landlords.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

100% this, there is a third option and that is do nothing.

Go to Spain and once settled make the decision on whether you rent it, sell it or even return. It is a big decision so no point rushing into it.

Good luck with the move

• Registered Users Posts: 10,368 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Why do I smell an agenda here or at very least people jumping to an agenda??

Assuming OP is genuine.. then there is a case to rent is there not, if they think that they may return in a year or two? That is assuming they like living where there present Dublin property is located etc. Tenants are not ogres, I'll bet nearly every property owner here has been a tenant at some stage.

• Advertisement

That's right. If you spend €1000 of the rent you get on fixing something in the house then you do not have to pay the €500 tax bill you would get for earning €1000.

Because that would mean it would cost a landlord €1500 to fix €1000 worth of issues.

So to reduce your tax bill by 500,just spend 1000.

Advertisement