Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lugnaquilla zig zag route closed due to assault by dog owner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Paterson Jerins

How does this poster get away with trolling all the time????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i was talking to someone who works in a well known park (council run) last night who was saying they do have problems with dogs off leads - but mentioned a recent example as not being untypical. a chap let his dobermann off the leash, and it attacked two other dogs (on leashes); one of the dog owners had a bloodied hand after defending her dog. the chap i was talking to followed the dobermann owner, got his car reg and managed to hold him in the car park till the gardai arrived. but then the other two dog owners decided not to press charges, i assume out of fear of the dobermann owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

This is a beautiful part of the country and this not about people’s agendas, this is about a sound man who has given a access point to the hill and is a traditional hill farming family for generations and is all for hill walkers, the eco system and his local area. His family hill farm sheep and do it well and are protective of the hill in all seasons of the year. A uncle of ours had hill rights up there and years ago on Sunday visits we would go to hill to see his sheep in usually the same place and back then very few walkers would be seen, his younger family gave up sheep to the hill due to the hard work involved. Now on the weekends it is blitzed with visitors from all over to see the beautiful glenmalure the majority of people respect what they see, but then you have the entitled who the world has to revolve around. As for getting sheep and farmers off the hills is a crazy knee jerk, they manage and protect wildlife’s and as for over grazing the true facts are it’s under grazed due to young people not putting sheep to the hill any more. Sheep on the hills is seasonal and not all year around. Final point to see the damage dogs do to sheep, nesting birds when off the leash and then talk about the damage to the eco system. This man was helping people enjoy Wicklow like so many others through out the country and got assaulted for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,419 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I have to laugh at some posters saying that farming sheep is bad for the environment. Look at wintering in the Burren. The Burren uplands has over 70% of Ireland’s native flora and it depends on farming activity to sustain it. Without sheep and cattle in the Burren, it would be a desolate wasteland of rocks and weeds.

As for taking the lands off the farmers to make into national parks, this is nonsense on so many levels. Would you hand over the keys to your home without a fight if there was a compulsory purchase order? More importantly, do you allow people to traipse through your gardens as they wish... perhaps have a picnic on your front lawn and leave their rubbish and dog crap for you to pick up?

This land is owned by the farmers, they look after the land and they are the best custodians as many have been raised on that land. It has been in their family for generations and they know exactly how to maintain it. Most have no issues with walkers as long as they're respectful. If they were government-owned, we would have to pay for their upkeep. We would also lose a source of revenue and food. Some mention planting forests... great idea except that forests require a lot of management and can actually do a lot of damage to the land - especially Sitka spruce which stupidly seems to be the choice of tree for Irish forests. Sitka Spruce smothers the landscape, driving out hen harriers and curlews, birds that are on the verge of extinction. They are also a significant fire risk - just look at the gorse fires and think how bad it would be with trees.

The solution is quite simple, be respectful. This, however, seems to be lost on some people and they would rather blame the farmer (the irony is that they're probably the same people who blame the gubberment, yet they feel that our land should be entrusted to them).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

well, you can hardly argue that sheep farming is good for the environment? the burren is a unique case surely?

anyway, we're the most ecologically degraded country in europe:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Without context that map is pointless. Ecologically degraded from what starting point?

Wake me up when it's all over.

the paper the map appears in, is here; the ecological integrity score is combined from three factors - loss/prevalence of megafauna, fragmentation of habitats, and how pristine or degraded the environment is.

https://www.idiv.de/fileadmin/content/Files_BioCon/wildereurope2020.pdf

I agree with you. I'm a hill sheep farmer in Connemara myself. We are inundated with both foreign and domestic tourists and we also allow some permissive access - which people abuse by going where we'd rather they didn't. I haven't been assaulted, but I have been shot at by hunters who had no permission to be where they were. That's why I can empathise with Pat Dunne, doing the same job albeit in a different location. It is as you say, a lack of basic respect.

• Advertisement

Small holdings of hill sheep are good for the environment as they maintain the grassland and don't let certain weeds, moss, and grasses take over. When they walk, they move the soil which is also beneficial to prevent soil degradation - over grazing can lead to the opposite. They naturally ferlitise the soil and assist with pollination because they clear the weeds which allows wildflowers to grow.

This is not the same as large commercial holdings which are bad for the environment.

are good for the environment as they maintain the grassland

we have a different idea of what makes a good environment so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Be right back

I hope they will find brave Mr blue jacket soon.

Obviously.

My FIL is a cattle farmer with a small herd. His land is pristine and has tons of wildlife - it's even protected for the hen harriers that can be found there. There are tons of wildflowers and the place is literally buzzing with bees and insects in the spring/ summer. The land is extremely well maintained as it has been in his family for generations. He looks after ensuring the land is adequately drained and the river that runs through it is unpolluted. He maintains the hedgerows, trims the trees, and ensures the land isn't overgrazed. He works bloody hard to maintain the land.

Bordering his land is a forest held by the state in the form of Coiilte - this is as desolate as Mordor with Sitka Spruce suffocating the ground with their needles. There is literally nothing growing except the Sitka, reeds, and moss - feck all wildlife and nothing but midges.

That is my view of a good environment.

i don't think you'll find anyone with two brain cells to rub together, who would make a claim that sitka spruce is good for the environment; 'this is better than a sitka spruce plantation' verges on damning with faint praise.

unless someone has made the argument that 'we should take the sheep off the hills and plant sitka spruce instead for environmental gains', and i missed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

There is also quite a lot of people who recognise stupid pointless rules/laws when they see them.

I have plenty of friends/family in the UK, and if you were to obey every dumb rule they have over in that nanny state you would barely be able scratch yourself without breaking a rule. And we are starting to go the same way in this country too!

Dog walkers are one of the largest groups in most countries using outdoor spaces. And they have a genuine need for outdoor amenities. So making up stupid rules that try to prohibit or curtail these people from enjoying their outdoor activities, is both pointless and also blatant discrimination. I'm not surprised many people ignore this nonsense and get on with enjoying their time in the outdoors. And good luck trying to police them with your nanny state nonsense... it will never work considering the huge numbers of dog owners. You're fighting a losing battle.

And again, I'm not defending bad dog owners. Your dog should be well behaved and under your effective control. But blatant discrimination against an entire group of people is wrong, based on the bad behaviour of a minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Dog owners can use outdoor spaces, they just need to use appropriate ones and have some sort of consideration for farmers and also wildlife. I can see a bit of a backlash against dogs coming given how bad many of the owners are.

Firstly, trail access was available. It was revoked as a result of an assault. If everyone behaved and was courteous, this wouldn't be a discussion.

Secondly,

'I think that's the fundamental difference between state subsidised private land and a personal garden etc which receives no subsidy from the taxpayer'.

I agree, but there are plenty of social houses and people getting benefit payments or HAP. Does it make it open season in their gardens? I'm not saying it should be the case, just pointing out that just because you receive state subsidies doesn't mean your property is the property of the masses. Farmers should, and do, give access, until something like this happens.

I love to walk, and I regularly walk through farms and always have a chat with the farmer (if they have time). If this was revoked I would be annoyed. If it was revoked due to an assault, or because the land wasn't being respected, I would be annoyed with those responsible. I absolutely understand the farmer's view - this is his land and livelihood. He is the person who has to maintain the land and pay for the damage to his land or livestock. Fencing isn't cheap, vets are not cheap, feed is not cheap, and so forth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭MacDanger

"But given all the subsidies received, the land is part paid for by the tax payer."

The land isn't subsidised, the food that's being produced is - why do you think food is so cheap right across the EU? If subsidies were removed and we had to pay the actual cost of food, there'd be chaos.

Hope the scumbag who assaulted the farmer is caught and charged

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Lol, 'discrimination', you should be on the Woke thread!!

Yeah no, we are not going the 'same way', Paddy tries to sneak around rules, they are for other people. Maybe a colonial hangover, a blow agin' the govt, or officialdom or whoever.

Maybe, just maybe if every dog owner did what they were supposed to do, you know be RESPONSIBLE for their pet and not be a thundering selfish arsehole, everything would be fine, we wouldn't need these rules. Selfishness and stupidity MUST be called out by decent owners, or you will ultimately be the losers here, don't circle the wagons and go down the deflection and whataboutery rabbit-hole. The facilities on private property are a privilege, NOT a right and can be withdrawn.

You are also talking out of both sides of your mouth, on the one hand 'not defending' bad dog owners but at the same time saying people with dogs can bully others and do whatever they damn well feel like, on public and private property due to weight of numbers.

Judging by the amount of dog sh1t I see plastered everywhere, bags hanging off trees, it may be a 'minority' but they are making their presence felt. Not a month goes by than there's articles about dog fouling problems.

• Advertisement

the basic payment system seems to be based on eligible land held?

"Number and value of entitlements

Number

The number of entitlements allocated to a farmer is based on the number of eligible hecatres declared in either 2013 or 2015, whichever is lesser."

https://www.ifa.ie/basic-payment-scheme/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

As an aside, it's very funny the comments that land should be taken over by the state, bet the very same people would whinge if a bus corridor took a scelp off their front garden. It's fine to take property off other people, but not me.

Well, there have been posts saying the land should be taken over by the government. This was also posted:

It would be an excellent investment on behalf of the government to buy up land in some of these areas of natural beauty, rather than having them destroyed by overgrazing and farming. Re-wilding them and planting more forests would be great for the ecosystem and environment too.

Now relating to your comment 'i don't think you'll find anyone with two brain cells to rub together, who would make a claim that sitka spruce is good for the environment.'

Well, the state's own body Teagasc does, and Sitka spruce is the predominant species used in Irish forests. The state seems to prefer the Sitka as it grows quickly - they are only eyeing the carbon benefits, possibly because it offsets our carbon credits. There are over 300,000 hectares of Sitka spruce planted in Ireland. You can guarantee that if the state decided to plant trees, they would plant Sitka.

Link for you: https://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2020/forestry-and-climate-change-mitigation-the-role-of-sitka-spruce-and-how-its-continued-improvement-will-play-a-key-role-in-climate-change-mitigation.php

I couldn't care less if people want to have a moan about dogs. The usual hateful types.

If some people had their way, they would quite happily ban dogs from all outdoor amenities. Despite the fact, like I said above, dog walkers have a genuine need for these spaces and are one of the largest groups of people engaging in outdoor activities. It is blatant discrimination, and you wouldn't get away with it against any other large groups. Effectively tarring all dog owners with the same brush.

I know lots of people who simply ignore this nonsense, as they consider it to be highly discriminatory and unfair. Their dogs don't bother anyone and don't harass any livestock, so from their perspective why should they be discriminated against because of the actions of a minority? They mind their own business, enjoy the outdoors with their dogs. And their dogs are not causing problems for anyone.

People can complain all they wish, if it's considered to be for the greater good of the nation then it will happen anyway.

It's basically inevitable at some point that these lands will be bought up to create national parks. I have no doubt people will fight it, but many of these farmers are barely surviving anyway. And less of the next generation are choosing to take over their unproductive farms. I'm not anti farming, but some of these guys quite enjoy the power they have to grant or revoke access to iconic areas of natural beauty. Places that really ought to belong to everyone in the nation.

There was controversy recently in England, with a wealthy land owner revoking access for wild camping. They can do this on a whim whenever they like, which people are not going to accept. Every nation needs to have quality outdoor spaces that everyone can use and enjoy. Everyone, not just a select few. It's completely unacceptable that individuals can revoke access whenever they wish, for something that is used by possibly 1,000's of people every year.

Well here the rule is if you want to walk this route then fine but you can't take a dog. This isn't a place in the middle of a council estate where you can walk down the road to it its somewhere you drive out to. If you don't like the rules then drive somewhere else with your dog.

I know lots of people who simply ignore this nonsense, as they consider it to be highly discriminatory and unfair. Their dogs don't bother anyone and don't harass any livestock, so from their perspective why should they be discriminated against because of the actions of a minority? They mind their own business, enjoy the outdoors with their dogs. And their dogs are not causing problems for anyone.

And therein lies the problem - It's not their decision. Just because you don't like something, doesn't mean you can ignore it.

Just an FYI, it's not discrimination because you choose to have a dog, as I do, and there are implications and responsibilities that come with owning a dog. I can't let my dog out unattended because he'll jump over the fence and into the field with sheep. My dog has zero interest in the sheep, but the sheep are scared of him because they are herded with a dog. I can't let my dog take a dump in the same field as the sheep as his crap could have parasites such as tapeworm, which are dangerous to the sheep.

You seem to have a very polarised view that this is wrong because it affects you, yet you seem to completely ignore that it also affects the farmer and other walkers who don't have dogs!

Dogs can walk in parks. They don't need to be walked in areas with livestock or wildlife. Dogs owners aren't being discriminated against, they have access to the same places, just not with the dog. The dogs do bother animals, I have seen it several times up on the Djouce mountain, owner presumably also thinking the rules don't apply to me and fluffy would never do anything.

I don't have an issue with dogs minding their own business, but it needs to be in the appropriate place. If the dog is **** on the beach which people use, if the owner throws bags of **** onto trees, if the dog is jumping up on people with food and the owner is unable to recall then dog, THEN the dog is causing as an issue for others.

Maybe there should be a land access grant? If you allow access you can get the grant. Owners of private estates get (or at least used to get) a worth while tax break for opening their gardens to the public.

• Advertisement

What would be the purpose of the grant? It would still not be allowed to bring your dog onto the land. All over the country farmers have very generously granted access to the public, a lot of our scenic walks would be on privately owned land. I wonder do people actually realise how much of Wicklow is publicly owned land (very little)?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement