Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lugnaquilla zig zag route closed due to assault by dog owner

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

There's a lot of anxious canines out there.

I saw a sign saying ...

Dogs worrying,. Sheep will be shot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭amacca

It's not just some idiot though it's idiots

And there's a fair chunk of them out there, the problem as I see it is the lack of willingness to police a huge amount of things in this country that don't generate revenue (one could argue its letting this **** go or dealing with it completely ineffectively that generates the revenue in fact - for a certain section of society)

Look at how many individuals wander around with sometimes hundreds of convictions for assault/theft .... there isn't a general principle of appropriate and timely consequences for being a prick/twat/gobshite in this country so we don't have as strong a culture of public responsibility, simple as that imo

That's why a significant % of kids do whatever the **** they please in school to the detriment of all those around them and in truth the most anyone can do is shrug their shoulders, retail crime, open dealing etc on the streets of the capital, unprovoked assaults....so it filters into different areas of public life and different socio economic groups ...some people will have no respect for rules if they depend on goodwill/public responsibility/a sense of community because they don't have that.....they might have if we had a culture of it or if they thought they would get caught and the consequences were something appropriate but unpleasant/inconveniencing for them...we have plenty of carrots and public information campaigns in this country but no real sticks...

The prospect of a criminal record /jail is a stick to a certain cohort but there's a group where its no deterrent at all and not just because they know its a revolving door....

I say hit the fuckers where it hurts, in the pocket, if it's proven you assault someone there's a big financial penalty and you will have to pay it, right down to significant chunks of your social welfare being withheld and paid to the victim if you have no assets or job, if you have those assets and job etc it should be a significant chunk for you too .... something that will make you think twice...

I say all this as the owner of a "fur baby"😅

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I don't disagree with that.

But there's also a fair amount of idiots out here and on here(of the bleeding heart type) that don't think people should be punished for their repeated indescretions. We've gone soft as one would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

You were quoted as saying the following: "Probably have the dogs barking morning noon and night when they get home too."

And I told you that you are dead wrong on that. These are excellent dog owners, their dogs are very well behaved. They don't attack livestock or other dogs/people or cause disturbances of any kind. They're a credit to their owners. But then they're not the types to go around calling them "fur babies" etc... they train them and have them very well disciplined - just as I would do with my own dogs.

Some would know the local farmers/land owners reasonably well, others less so. But they are all decent people.

If they're such bad owners according to YOU (even though you've never met them btw) then why do they never encounter a single bit of trouble when out walking in the hills? No arguments with other walkers or land owners... even on these trails attempting to ban dogs?

I would be very curious to know exactly what happened in this incident on the zig zag route. If I had to take a wild guess, I would imagine the land owner is well aware of this particular dog owner and probably has had issues with their dogs in the past. Most farmers I would know, wouldn't have the time or inclination to be policing their land from people who are not causing a problem. And in fact would often turn a blind eye to people (locals or otherwise) who they see regularly and know they don't cause any issues. That would be my experience over many years.

Obviously if you're causing problems for people, then you are going to encounter push back. If that was the case with this incident, then the dog walker is a bit of an idiot tbh. And there is no excuse for assaulting people. But we really would need to know more of the details of this particular incident to get the full picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Mo Ghile Mear

It’s hard for the average walker to police people who don’t give a s**t and are aggressive though. I said it to a couple once and they told me to mind my own f*ing business… and continued on their merry way with 2 loose fur babies. I felt a right idiot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,747 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Not the greatest footage, the youth is more identifiable in it than the angry ould lad.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Mod Note, as there may well be a legal case on this incident, no images of the alleged assault will be permitted on the thread.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Mod Note 2, less swiping, sniping and bitching in the thread. This is the Outdoor Pursuits forum, keep it on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭fillup

No bitching in the thread, I see what u did there

That's a ruff call

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭FazyLucker

2 of the parks in my locality have rules for dogs - 1 is "dogs off lead until 11am" and the other is until 9am. IT COULD NOT BE CLEARER.

Instead what actually happens in these parks is the wild west at any hour of the day. Dogs running amok, snarling at people, running around the playground (despite the clearest sign ever on the gate - NO DOGS IN THE PLAYGROUND). There are significantly more dogs off leads than on them.

I politely challenged 2 of the dogs owners and asked them to put their dog on a lead. One told me straight out to "f**k off" and the other tried the "the dog is just friendly" despite my crying toddler being absolutely terrified of this big brute of a labrador. I don't even bother any more, I gave up because it wasn't worth the aggro with these ignorant people who don't seem to understand that not everybody loves their dog.

Dog owners seem to think that the very clear rules are for other people, or they don't apply to them.

And I won't even start about the dog poo that ruins our streets only to thank the inconsiderate **** who let his dog poo outside my childs playschool last week, only for all the little feet on the way in to drag it all over the place, into the school, and to probably contaminate all the toys when they fall to the ground and risk giving the whole school a very serious illness.

Or the sneaky "I'll walk in front of my dog and if I don't see him taking a **** behind me, I don't have to clean it up", or "if my dog goes into the leaves and does it in there, the leaves will cover it up" or "if he does it beside the sea, the tide will take it out, never mind the sea swimmers who have to swim around it".

Lovely bunch of people.

• Advertisement

Mod Note; Thread locked, pending any news of the actual assault.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement