Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Resident Evil Megathread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Darkside and Umbrella chronicles are great but more recaps of sections of the other games.

Code Veronica really should have been named Resi 4 as it's definitely in the mainline canon.

Dead Aim probably isn't on PSN but it's actually really damn good and also a canon entry.

The rest aren't worth bothering with other than Resident Evil Gaiden. It's not canon but a great little Gameboy colour game with inventive gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭McFly85

REmake is still top of the list for me. I never minded tank controls(and you can change them now anyway!) But for atmosphere and tension you can’t beat it.

All of the remakes have been great, really, 3 was criminally short and Nemesis disappointing but still enjoyable, it should have been priced around €30 for what it was.

Buzzing for 4 after playing the demo. Finally managed to upgrade to a proper 4k tv and it looks stunning on it, on next Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Anyone know if Separate Ways dlc is part of remake? I really enjoyed playing at on my *checks notes* PlayStation 2!!!??? Jesus I forgot Resi 4 was on ps2. There are a load of leaked vids of the game on twitter and someone saying separate ways is not in it while a Google has multiple sites claiming a longer version of it is in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I think the two Revelations games a worth a point if your haven't played them already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Not very surprising but it's getting stellar reviews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭brady12

Trying pre order 4 remake ps5 on smyths but showing up as out of stock ?

Smyths usual do that week of launch and then you'll see them back in stock on release day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,638 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

This Ghibli-style trailer for RE4 is lovely. Disturbing, and lovely.

Resi 4 was sold early yesterday by Walmart, bunch of people got copies. Apparently there are 3 difficulties, Easy, Normal and Hardcore. The Normal difficulty says it's 'for players who have not played Resident Evil 4 (2005)'. That's a bizarre thing to say as most people played the original but not gonna start it on Hardcore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭shawki

Looks like preorders are cancelled for GameStop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Reads more like an administration announcement more than something you'd expect from an ongoing business. Ominous at the very least.

Jesus Gamestop, you really never cease to disappoint me. Will they at least have the game on Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Got my email from Smyth's that resi 4 is being posted today.

I won't get time to finish 1, although it took a massive nose dive once I left the mansion. But I wasn't playing in any order anyway so will jump to 4 on Friday and come back to the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

This will be the first game I'll buy at launch/full price since Elden Ring.

Considered getting the deluxe edition for another tenner but the outfits and cosmetics are a bit dull.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

My copy from Smyths arrived this morning. I look forward to Leon's head being chopped off, as is tradition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Is Leon not a popular character in the Resident Evil world?

Yes, and his tendency to get decapitated is a large part of the charm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭McFly85

One thing I really miss about physical copies is the chance of getting them a day or 2 early!

Have it installed and ready to go but I won’t get a real chance at it until Sunday, it would have been ideal to get a couple of hours in this evening

Got mine from smyths today too. But also won't get near it until tomorrow.

Just a reminder that there is a dedicated thread for the game itself.

Just back from Gamestop, guess who's gonna be playing Resi 4 all day? Not **** me anyway as the shipment was delayed and they should have it in tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,618 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

**Looks smug as a superior PC gamer**

Then remembers I've to spend the weekend with the girlfriend so it will be Sunday evening when I play it

I played an hour or so last night, before heading off to see John Wick 4 (Resi 4, Diablo 4 beta, JW4 - the weekend of fours). It's definitely on first encounter a less radical remake than something like Resi 2, but it's hard to tell as I haven't had a full playthrough of the original since the GameCube release way back when. It's also very early in the game. Actually was wondering why I hadn't found the house where you can leap out the window in the first village, which seemed like a bizarre change to make if they got rid of it - only realised after the bell rang that I'd just missed the door into it :P Leon leaping out the window is still one of the great gaming animations. I'm very early though so can't say much about more substantial changes, especially in terms of the original game's wilder and goofier swings.

Some cool design and graphical flourishes though - love the way the enemies look when they have their head hanging off (that's the kind of sentence that'll get you in trouble in the wrong context :P).

The game seems to run fine on PS5 with ray-tracing on (albeit with VRR enabled), but I followed Digital Foundry's guidance and turned off the chromatic aberration feature which apparently has a big impact on image quality, at least pre-patch.

Started playing but didn't even get to the village before I'd to go collect the kids. So only just at the very first save point after the starter house. About half the demo. 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭brady12

Played this on quest 2 for 1st time last year and loved it . Remake is absolutely incredible !

• Advertisement

Chapter 1 done. Took me ages to get past that chainsaw guy for some reason. Flew through it first go in the demo.

It's enjoyable, but not blown away by it yet. Expecting big things in the next few chapters.

Advertisement