Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Resident Evil Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,638 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I see Resident Evil 2 was released 25 years ago.

Did any of you play it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Man, i remember it so well. I was completely blown away when i started playthrough B with Claire and started at the other side of the opening fire. My teenage mind was blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

When I got my PS1 I got it with GTA1 and Crash Bandicoot 2. Resident Evil 2 was the first game I bought with my own money about 2 months later. The dual storylines blew my mind. I was pretty awful at the game though so I definitely played through the stories once but don't think I spent much time with the game after that (whereas back in those days as I didn't have many games, you'd normally play through them repeatedly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The super shotgun in the original RE2 was the best weapon in any PS1 game ever.

Did GameStop sort out your copy yet @Zero-Cool ?

Yupp, got it today. 10 euro off for GS Pro discount and another 10 euro off for the delay. Only paid 12 quid with trading in Gotham Knights so worked out quite well. When i finish this, I'm really gonna have to finally pick up Resi 3 remake.

That was decent of them in the end. I won't get to play it for another few weeks, but can't wait. Enjoy!

I'm enjoying RE4 Remake, but so far it doesn't give me the chills RE2 Remake or RE7 gave me.

I played five Resident Evil games (2, 3 and 4 Remakes) 7 and Village, but for me 2 and 7 can't be beaten.

• Advertisement

The series was going more action orientated as it went on. 4 had a great balance of horror and action but yes was lacking the creepiness and terror for the first 3 games, the first bring the most atmospheric horror of the lot. 5 and 6 favoured action over horror and lost what made Resi great. 7 dragged it back and revived the series while 8 reintroduced a more action heavy game but still had great horror sections.

I love the key animations in the games when it comes to unlocking doors.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Not accusing you of this I really don't get the criticism that Resident Evil 4 went so far towards action. The old Resi formula was getting stale and Resi CV, Resi Remake and Zero were disappointing in terms of sales for Capcom. They had to make a change. Even still the criticism doesn't hold any water. Sure it's quite removed from the rest of the series but it really should be judged on its own merits.

'Resi 4 isn't as scary as the older games and has strayed from it's roots'

'It's a bit different mate but it's also the finest action game of the last decade'

It's not like it wasn't horror either, just a different kind of horror where you were pressured into making combat choices due to the sheer intensity of the combat, something Resi 5 lost and then was totally missing from Resi 6. I don't care what anyone says, Leon's Resi 6 chapter was a boring, predictably scripted stinker.

Oh i have no problem with Resi 4 OG at all. I let Capcom have it now and then but they can only be commended for trying to evolve their series in each entry. As much as I loved the survival horror of the first 2 games (i still don't really know i feel about 3, I glaze over it anytime i think about it), i loved Resi 4 for different reasons. Horror, silly action but wrapped up in a fantastic game. Also, as much as I loved 2, capcom could have easily just churned out another 3 or 4 clones of that but the series would have been sent boring.

I'm not sure if it was for resi 5 or 6, i think it was 6, where a Dev said they were trying to make that COD money and action sells, not horror. As for Leon's section in 6, agreed but it was a masterpiece compared to what came after. I'm really interested to see what they do with 9. Do they keep 1st person or was the 3rd person dlc option popular in 8 enough for them to go back.

Any appetite for a Zero remake? The original wasn't great, but they've been hitting it out of the park lately, so I'd be up for letting them have a go at reworking the prequel.

Zero and CV are quite weak entries, I'd like a remake of either. Zero kind of doesn't add anything to the lore so I'd rather see CV.

I haven't played Zero or CV but hearing about both, wouldn't mind CV. There's website no need/want for 5 or 6 remakes so i wonder what their plan is next.

They seem to alternate releases. Resi 9 next and then maybe a remake if they keep it up?

Wouldn't mind a Resi Dead Aim remaster. Hear me out, it's a genuinely good game and also a canon entry in the lore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Would love a CV remake or even a remake of RE outbreak. A pipe dream of mine would be having a final Stars/Umbrella RE game set in Umbrella's HQ in Paris.. Capcom just need to make up a silly excuse for it to still be there after Racoon city's distruction

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭McFly85

Resident Evil: Gaiden remake please.

Barry and Leon on an infected cruise ship with yet another Umbrella conspiracy, sign me up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,226 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Resident Evil 3 Remake Remake. Now with added Clocktower, actual puzzles and more Nemesis rather than just scripted appearances.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,152 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yes! Weird that they remade 2 and then decided that they needed only the worst bits of Resi 6 for the 3 remake.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I've struggled to get going on 4. Not helped by a busy work/life at the moment. It's been limited to 3 X under 1 hour sessions and they were pretty spread out which is never helpful when trying to get into a game. On chapter 3. Will hopefully get a good run at it over the weekend.

Got to the bit on the cake with the 'nighty night, knights' :D

Anyway, Mercenaries free dlc is out now. 2.2gb update for main game and Mercenaries is a few mb's but a separate download of you're looking for it.

Are the molded in that? I'm a big fan of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

^^^ Seeing that trailer makes me feel like we missed out on seeing all the Resident Evil protagonists together in one game. You could have a story where you can play as Chris, Leon, Jill, or Claire, and maybe some help from Barry Burton and Rebecca Chambers.

Capcom have released a survey which asks players about their RE experiences. It's rather long and dull, but near the end they ask you which game in the series you'd like to see remade next. It's a blank box for you to type in your answer however, so if you want to tell them to bring back Dino Crisis or whatever, have at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

I will be crucified for saying this but although I like quite a lot of the Resi games I loved Operation Raccoon City. Yeah, as an SP game it was not great and more or less a standard shoot-em-up Socom game with a Resi skin, though I still enjoyed it.

But multi-player co-op was a blast and most especially versus multiplayer was insane fun.

Forget the game mode but there was an Umbrella v Stars mode and the maps were full of zombies and special enemies that could be manipulated to attack the enemy team betwix all the direct combat. Some of the maps were very meh but the actual Raccoon City maps were amazing.

I find it amazing that Umbrella Corp got similar critical reviews to ORC even though it's an utter turd of a game and not the faintest patch on ORC. When you compare actual player reviews of both, ORC has a miles higher score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I played Resident 2 over the weekend on my Second Run as Claire I ended up defeating G in his 4th stage with a knife. I had used up all my ammo on him during the fight and all I had left was my knife so I just pulled it out and started slashing at him as much as I could until I finally put him down. It felt like something out of a movie where the protagonist is about to be killed by the monster but just barely manages to kill it using whatever was on him/her in a last-ditch effort. The knife was the only thing I had left and I didn't know if it would be enough to kill the creature but I took a chance and it paid off.

Tonight I played 4th Survivor as HUNK which took me a load of attempts to do, but it was so satisfying when I finally escaped the Police Station. I was also half dead and I had Mr X right behind me as well when I escaped so that also felt like something out of a movie scene as well.

The game really does feel more intense whenever Mr X is around. I've played Res 2 many times now and I still can't get over how intimidating Mr X is when he's chasing you through the corridors and you're just hoping you've killed all the zombies and lickers so they're arent' blocking your way.

Advertisement