Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All about the Vectrex

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I could have saved a fortune with one of those!

But, now I have a decent arcade stick to play Veccy with, so that'll do pig...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,957 ✭✭✭Doge

Oh sweet mama, this is the device I've been waiting for! Thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭ozmo

Playing with my pitrex- much of it works and is amazing - but having issues with the arcade games- can anyone assist in finding the correct files?

Star Wars says roms are present but just says loading roms and never starts.

astroids starts and runs but I cannot see how to start the game. same issue with some other games…

Also is the latest higher performance Star Wars compile shown in videos available anywhere?

thanks !

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,534 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The files you need should be from a recent version of MAME.

That said, if you download the SD_DRIVE_22th_December_2021.zip folder from this link http://vide.malban.de/pitrex/pitrex-baremetal-download you should be okay.

Just open the archive, into the file structure and there will be a list of titles for your version of Pi0, those are all the files you should need, along with the Vectrex game files

thanks - that's the image im using - but it says all the Roms are missing(except tacscan.zip) on all arcade emulators - so are you suggesting I copy the files from J:\piZero1 to J:\roms\aae ??

(just tried it - didnt work) There are games in that folder (piZero1)) that do not show up in the menus eg pacman.img....

the instructions say

"Roms for the age emulator must be put into the subdirectory AAE.I have not "unified" the roms for AAE yet. And I don't know what version they must be.The thing is the age source code included all roms, so I never had to look for them.

If you find the sources for AAE in the internet - THAT are the roms you need :-)."

I found the mame roms - but I could not find aae roms - I did find the "sources" he mentioned in the age source code - its all .c code - hardly that? eg. "roids207.tar.gz"

What mame distribution would they be on - the download from official mame site of course has no Roms - and all larger ones the ones I've tried dont have aae roms.

ta.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

If you look for a recent rom set you'll find what you need, just throw them into the rom folder, zipped is fine.

The aae files should be just the Atari files, as that's all they are.

I'm not sure which specific mame version they are from though, and that includes Star Wars and Asteroids afaik.

Have you tried Vectorblade yet?

It's fantastic!

A quick mention that Vector War XII will be going on from 29th Oct - 5th Nov for anyone intersted. Create an account on

https://vectorgaming.proboards.com

And join in, it's a great excuse to play some vectrex games and have some fun. The current lineup for this year is:

GCE/MB

1. Armor Attack

2. Heads up Soccer

3. Hyperchase

4. Solar Quest

5. Spike

6. Star Hawk

Homebrews:

1. Save the planet by Raphael Aberle (RubberDuck)

2. Hex by Chris Malcom (Binary Star Software)

3. Gyrostronomy and Gyrostrology by Peer Johannsen

4. Spike gets squished by Brett Wallach (www.playvectrex.com)

5. VeCaves by Mark De Smet

Points from any 6 titles are required to enter, all bin files for the homebrew titles will be freely available prior to the competition (if anyone wants to play one of the homebrew titles in the competition and doesn't have access to a pitrex, vextreme, vecfever etc. Let me know and I may be able to loan you a pcb of the game for the competition)

Any good to anyone here - Bargain if you can get it at that price - says is in the Americas but price includes shipping and the taxes to Ireland.

I've not bought from there before so cannot comment on buying from etsy or that seller...

And its USA voltage - so might want to research how you power it from USA 110V 60Hz to Irish 220V 50hz

https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/1325552399/vintage-vectrex-game-console

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 34,533 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Sold! How much was it listed for?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭eddhorse

• Advertisement

For many Veccy owners, the Vecfever cart is a holy grail item, running code from a PC to its display and making it capable of amazing things.

One of the best is an Asteroids clone called Rocks'n Saucers.

The developer Thomas Sontowski is some sort of sorcerer because he is releasing that title for the standard Veccy, either drop it onto multicart or the games folder on the PiTrex, or even make a physical cart with it.

Regardless, it plays really well and I hope to pick up a dedicated cart and overlay sometime soon.

In the meantime I'm attaching the bin file to this post, the game is free to download, so please try it and let me know what you think.

Thanks for that - yes Vecfever is unobtainable - but thankfully PiTrex is a good alternative and can be got a little more easily.

dropping the extracted .bin file from that into F:\vectrex folder on the sd card worked on the PiTrex... It plays fast and very smooth.

On the PiTrex - the original Arcade Astroids from 1979 works really well - and is very similar - but I had to edit the config file slightly to be able play with the buttons - by default 1+4 brings up annoyingly the dip switches menu which is same as left +fire.

This small config change changes keys to use 2+3 for move and 4 to fire.

(remove .txt extension so file is asteroid_sbt.ini)

Found the roms to get most of the other arcade games working also - even original StarWars runs really well on the PiTrex now - especially when played Landscape.

“Roll it back”

Hi,

I had to make similar alterations to my set-up to stop it opening the dipswitch menu too.

It is remarkable to get to play Star Wars, at home, on a vector monitor, I must pick up an overlay for it.

I am hoping to pick-up an Asteroids overlay for the Veccy as well as the dedicated controller.

I also want to build a suitable controller for Battlezone, twin sticks and all, with James Watt's kit or buy a ready made one, as well as the overlay, it too looks amazing as is.

Thats an old tech demo from vector Republic back in 2018 I think?? Don't think anything was ever done with it since.

https://youtu.be/9_txf2-Cw1s

Buzz was getting to me - so I got rid of it using this $1 part - and a coax from a pc external wifi antennae.

Totally silent now - and all music sounds so much better. Well worth doing imo. Its all reversible should anyone ever want to as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134268514411

Lots of tutorials out there - Just be sure to remove the red led from the amp module or tape it up so not visible through screen.

“Roll it back”

Has anyone got the back-light?

Not yet, thinking of getting it and the Asteroids overlay to go with Rocks'n Saucers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Yep - it's very cool - I made my own UV Surround with perspex and UV LEDs

• Advertisement

Anyone happen to know where I might buy some Vectrex cart shells?

I've a couple of games on PCB only, need to keep them safe!

Master of the Universe

Might have to go down the route of buying some cheaper Vectrex games and swapping out the PCBs. On the plus side, at least it would mean your PCB is in a legit (and probably nicely aged) shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Thanks for that, I might see about getting a couple printed instead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

If you're ok with 3D printed and happy with black(galaxy black, it looks nice) I have a couple of them printed up from a while back I don't need. Cover postage and they're yours. I think I have just 2 of them, but will check and stick a pic up later of what they look like.

They are they same as this one, but I removed the text as it doesn't print well. I left the arrow though.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3924955

Edit:

Yes, just the two shells. Let me know if you want them and we can sort it out.

Post edited by Steve X2 on

The biggest Veccy release since Vectorblade was released over the weekend!

Minsoft released Vyrzon finally, and it comes in a physical cart, box, instructions and overlay.

And, as soon as the first batch were announced to be released via their twitter feed, I was on it like a car bonnet and bought it immediately.

I think it comes to about €100 with shipping.

Here's the link to the site itself, though the game is currently sold out (he will be producing as many as meeting demand requires)

I think it looks absolutely amazing!

A cutdown version of this game was released by the Author as a download...

http://www.vectrex.de/_static/2022/vw12/VW12-binaries.zip

"Vyrzon: Asteroid Belt - minsoft - This is a special mini-game version of Vyrzon, specifically for Vector War XII, Oct/Nov 2022."

I tried it (using pytrex) - its only the first stage unfortunately...

I found it at a link on this this page for a competition... Its the games they played - and its in the zip above with some other decent homebrew games:

https://vectorgaming.proboards.com/thread/2618/vectrex-tournament-vector-29th-2022

“Roll it back”

Ozmo, what did you think of it?

I downloaded it to my Pitrex as soon as it was released and it was fantastic, just too short!

My copy of Vyrzon is on the way as we speak, just hope I don't get violated by the Irish customs before it gets here!

Master of the Universe

Do many folks still have Veccys around these parts? I remember there was a boards.ie Vectrex buying flurry, must have been what, about ten years ago now?

Be interesting to know how many are still out there and working. As far as I remember, Ciderdude and Doge still have one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

Still have mine one, its not been used in a long while so I'm happily assuming it still works :)

Advertisement