Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All about the Vectrex

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Oh yeah! I think that was my old broken one? If I remember correctly I swapped it with you for an Ikea Ramvik tabletop cabinet 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,717 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

That's the one !! I assume that Ikea abomination is long gone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

It was very short all right and then repeats - would like to try the other, invaders style levels, they look very good.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

I sold mine on many years ago, I'd say 11+ years ago maybe? I'm an outlier here no doubt, but I don't regret selling it. They're a nice curio, and the screen tech is a visual treat....but I can't say I found any of the games very engaging or fun to play beyond the initial few minutes. I always spent the time looking at the vectors, rather than actually playing the games! Couple that with their inevitable breakdown, I'm not regretting moving it on. Can't even remember who bought it! I think it came from Holland, possibly on a tip off from your good self??

Master of the Universe

I sold it to someone on adverts ten years ago - would love to know where it is now!

Did some mad stuff with it over the years. At one point I had a supergun running through it via a scaler and an SLG3000 to play vertical shmups PCBs.

Definitely one of those moments where you stand back and ask yourself - 'what the feck am I actually doing here??' 😂

The value versus age/possibility of breaking beyond repair is way too great now to pick another one up IMO. I think my one was only 50 quid when I originally bought it so I could happily play away on it without the fear of 'this'll be the last time I switch it on'!

Yeah there was definitely a time when a few of us were spamming the forum with every link to a Vectrex we could find to get another person on board.

We really should have had a Vectrex meetup before they were all sold!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I still have a couple of them. One is quite modded with all the modern mods/fixes that have come out over years. The other one is stock and buzzy as hell, i love it :)

What mods you do? I have done the buzz fix on mine - that was well worth doing.

A mod I would like would be to cut the power fully when you use the off switch - as it is, I've noticed the vectrex power switch doesn't disconnect the mains like you would expect - only the lower voltage output of the internal power supply - so it can overheat and burn out if left plugged in and switched off.

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I like the buzz, the screen takes a minute to "warm up" so the buzz lets me know it is otherwise working!

Master of the Universe

I always find it hilarious that the designers put loads of effort into making a lovely home vector monitor based system but thought 'ah you know what, this is fine' when they first heard the buzzing. 😂

Did anyone play one new on release? I wonder was the buzzing there from the start or did it appear with time?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Just the main quality of life ones. Buzz Off kit, Vstereo mod and its been recapped.

• Advertisement

I believe the initial prototype didnt buzz. So thats the way it should be. So no guilt having mine buzz free lol.

The China factory cheaped out on the audio cable used. Dont know why they didnt fix it in later revisions.. there are several small other differences inside over their production run they would have the opportunity.

Any info on the stereo mod- think audio is fine for me on mine now - but did it make any difference?

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Still have mine also with the embroidered gimp mask cover over it! 😜

It doesn't get a lot of use but all my retro consoles don't get much use also these days.

I'm still waiting on the 2nd batch of the Bluetooth adapter for controllers like my 8bitdo mega drive one.

I find the original controllers look cool but are the most unergonomic controllers I've ever used with the straight line of buttons. I actually hate using them.

@CiDeRmAn did you see anything about the Bluetooth adapters in the Facebook group since the first batch was sold?

I'd agree on most of the stock games not being that engaging, but throw a pitrex or vecfever into the mix and you suddenly have access to amazing homebrew titles and of course Vector Arcade titles thanks to MAME. It really opens it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

Absolutely, good point. The screen always outshone the stock games, but with the flash carts/multicarts, that is indeed a bit of a game changer.

Master of the Universe

I always imagine it being a mini arcade stick so kind of try to use it as if it's a control panel on an arcade machine.

I did see someone using it like a controller with just their thumb on the top of the stick before, which looked a bit mad.

Hope you're keeping well by the way, haven't seen you around these parts in a while!

I'm good man, hope you're doing well also! 😁

Been studying music theory the last year so that's taking priority over gaming and I've sort of lost interest in retro gaming the last few years.

Who knows though, I might get back into it again!

Master of the Universe

Studying music theory? Cool stuff! You creating anything yourself?

All good here, funnily enough I've had the opposite happen the last while and my interest has really been renewed a lot after getting stuck into MiSTer.

Funnily enough I have been so busy that I haven't made much music haha!I

Ive played synth at a few gigs though.

Are you still doing something music related? You can pm me if you prefer.

Updated my PiTrex last night and Found a gem of a game called World War VI today.

It's a beta version but if the full version is available for the VecFever cartridge if you have one.

The game is absolutely bonkers in how many vectors can appear on screen at once! Lots of octopuses , explosion and rapid fire vectors all over the place!

It's actually a vectrex port of a Linux game.

Probably my favourite game on it so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It's pretty insane alright.

I have to say, Vyrzon is by far the best thing I've played on the Vectrex yet, and that's an un-enhanced console and cart too.

And, it's the only place these games can be played and look like they should, love those glowing vectors!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

All this Vectrex talk reminds me I have a few spares on the shelf here.. 2 unboxed games with overlays, one boxed but no overlay. If anyone is looking for any originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

These are now on their way to a good home. I have a lot of nostalgia for Vectrex. We could never afford one back in the day, but the guy in my class who could ? He was everyone's favourite friend. I am much happier seeing these go somewhere where they will get a bit of use/love than gathering dust in my spares bin or trying to sell them.

Happy motoring Ozmo.

Advertisement