Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭High bike

Is the match televised tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

Nope

They are showing Waterford v Kilkenny on TG4 and GAAGO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

`not even highlights on tg4 monday night , if ye made the games a little more competitive the rest of us might have some chance 🤣 and more tv time 😁'

zombie beats Dreams any day of the week ....

Post edited by windy shepard henderson on

Jaysus the Clare,Galway and KK matches last year were plenty interesting from our point of view,could have gone either way.Sure we've been dreaming of this since 73 so it's dreams all the way down here lol

Just as well that wasn’t televised. That was poor enough, Wexford hit a tonne of wides (we had a fair few ourselves) and we never looked under any real threat. The crowd was fairly muted in the second half. Cathal O’Neill looked lively, good to have him back.

I reckon Mike Casey and Richie English had a bet between themselves to see who could score more as they both wandered forward a lot more than usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Hope the league semi final is on Sunday next weekend as opposed to Saturday when a lot of people are working!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,766 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭C4000

Not a vintage display in what was a poor match, but a comfortable win nevertheless.

Awful lot of frees awarded which really broke up the match, including a number of occassions where there were clear advantages to be played.

Hayes, O'Neill and O'Donovan were among the better performers. Some of the others that would have been hoping to catch the eye didn't have a huge impact on the game eg Boylan, Houlihan and Murphy.

The corner backs breaking forward does seem to be a tactic....Fergal o connor was doing similar last week.

O'Dalaigh is making a serious impression in the time he is getting. He looks a lot more suited to the inside line than some others that have been tried there.

O' Brien and English are in the U20 panel for this year so we may not see much of them at senior level.

Wexford were very poor, aside from Chin they have little or no attacking threat. I could see Dublin getting out of Leinster ahead of them.

Hard to take much from this game given how poor Wexford were.

What I really like about O'Dalaigh is that he is different. Most of our subs are like for like replacements but he plays a more direct running game. He could be brought on to land a few killer goals to a tiring team or if we needed to chase a goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

O Dalaigh at this moment is a better option than Flanagan. That's not saying Seamus can't turn it on like he did last year come championship. Just right now on form O Dalaigh is better. He's also more effective than young O Brien and Adam English who have tonnes of potential but aren't as direct or effective as the Monaleen man. He's quick and deserves a start in the semi.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

No he isn't a better option than Flanagan.

Stupid comment as usual.

Is the venue for the semi final confirmed yet,I presume its in Limerick next Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭moby2101

Im hearing that it will be PUC next Sunday at 2

Wtf is that about,why down there?

Aye. O'Dalaigh has started one game against Westmeath. Flanagan has proven himself time and time again. Bonkers to be writing him off this early in the year, to use that age old cliche he'll thrive on the hard ground in the coming months.

O'Dalaigh won't start a championship match for at least two years but he'll definitely be a part of the group of forwards that are brought on in the second half of games. You're right, he does seem to have something different about him. I reckon he's the reason Pat Ryan was cut.

Not exactly the same type of player but his role could be similar to Dowling in 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭moby2101

Details will be announced today at 11,

This morning I heard that it’s Gaelic Grounds Sat night 730 , which sounds more likely 🤷🏻‍♂️

All the D1 football is on at 13:45 and the rest are 1 or 2 so I wouldn't be surprised to see a hurling match at 3:45 on Sunday. Probably have the other one Saturday night then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Whilst the league isnt priority for any county its a bit like the FA cup if your in the semi final you might as well win the competition if your able. Limerick look well capable of winning league . If limerick & Cork won their semi finals youd have a big big crowd at the league final.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭lim4ev

I wasn't at the match yesterday but to date Flanagan has been struggling o dalaigh has came from nowhere and maybe does deserve a start sometime soon why not? if for nothing else it keeps the others on their toes.

I was told after the match that the semi v tipp is on Gaelic grounds next Saturday evening at 7.30 and that came from someone that normally knows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭LMK

There's no comparison between Dowling and O'Dalaigh or Flanagan either.. let him develop..he's a sharp shooter but so far against 2 teams that have been fodder for Limerick. From what I've seen Cathal O Neill has moved on and will be a serious option this year.. but 7 into 6 won't go..

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭C4000

Out of interest....top scorers from play so far in the league:

Tom Morrissey: 0-14

O'Dalaigh: 1-9

Hayes: 1-6

Peter Casey: 0-8

Hegarty: 0-6

Flanagan: 0-5

Houlihan: 0-5

Mod Edit

Warninng issued.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

O Dalaigh will start a championship match this year. Iv not much doubt about that. He's too good and he's tearing fellas apart in training. He gave Richie English an awful roasting the last week in training according to Melbourne and then Mike Casey got turned and burnt.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

O'Neill looked very good yesterday, he does look ready to start regularly.

7 into 6 doesn't do justice to the conundrum we face if all are fully fit. We've had selection headaches inadvertetly solved by long term injuries in the last few years. A nice problem now is Lynch coming back in. He'll presumably go back to 11 and Kyle goes back to 7. Which of Dan Morrissey or Mike Casey makes way? I actually think Dan is the better full back whereas Mike is a better all round hurler so I'd actually select Dan for that specific position. But Mike Casey on the bench alongside Richie English seems ludicrous.

O'Neill for me seems a good like for like replacement for Tom Morrissey but you could play the two of them alongside Hegarty if Lynch returns to midfield - meaning one of O'Donovan or O'Donoghue dropping out but the three of them were rotated in the 2019 championship so there is precedent. The full forward line will more than likely be Gillane - Flanagen - Casey; Mulcahy will still set a great example and absolutely empty himself in terms of defending from the front but he no longer appears to be a scoring threat at this level. Therein lies the opening for O'Brien and O'Dalaigh but the management team clearly rate David Reidy very highly and Conor Boylan and Oisín O'Reilly seem to be part of their plans. Add in Micheál Houlihan and we're talking about having to pick 6 starting spots and 4 second half sub appearances from at least 13 players.

The starting team may not be any stronger but the depth is shaping up very nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rjoe90

The options in the full forward line is crazy, would expect Gillane, Flanagan and Casey will start. Donnacha O Dalaigh is proving to be a serious addition and would imagine himself and mulcahy would be the first subs here. It is maybe too early for o brien who might stay with the 20s.

O’Neill is looking like it will be tough to leave him out but as good as he is, it is a tough line to break into over Morrissey, lynch or hegarty and may have to settle for a spot on the bench.

Any word on when the 20s team will be announced?

Only yesterday you were telling us he is better than Flanagan. And just after this stupid post you have one saying he will start the championship.

Worry bout your own county Peggy.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rjoe90

I wouldn’t say it’s stupid to suggest O Dalaigh will start a championship game. If you do well in training/matches Kiely will reward you. I would definitely have him over Boylan & O’Reilly for the corner forward spot if there is to be a change/injury and probably O’Brien given his age and also English.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭billyhead

How did Hannon play yesterday. Great to see him back after his injury.

• Advertisement

Semi final confirmed for PnG 7:30 on Saturday.

Advertisement