Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Calves 2024

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Often what happen is a farmer is in there bidding. The dealers cannot help themselves they still have to bull the price.

Looking at Kilrush for last Wednesday two bunches of yearling Fr 248 kgs 600 and 320 kgs 630. But after nothing made money like that 250/ 430, 348/540 etc.

It one of the reasons I bid online. Much less likely hood of being bulled as they do not know you

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,387 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

• Registered Users Posts: 11,074 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Online is best thing to ever come into effect in marts cuts out some

ammount of bullying and fook acting around the ring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

56€ for a 41 day old Friesan bull calf in Carnew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

wicklow friesians are very Holstein. The buyer won’t be made up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,074 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

And buyer proably has he’s chest out laughing at the ones at 14 days going for less than a tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

I never leave the yard until I have at least one bought. But I would bid online ringside if I had to. Buying calves at the big sales you can look through the pens pick out your lots and go back to the car.

Even if physically present and bidding for calves it's all about discipline. Push your lots by 5-10 euro and then stop. There is plenty of calves out there

Slava Ukrainii

narrow Holstein calf… the above young calves had a bit of shape despite one having je breeding at 20€.

Post edited by Jjameson on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

@ €20 I would consider them OK value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,062 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What is sort of cross is an RDX?

EDIT - Never mind - Danish Red.

all colours for €100 even.

Looking at Carnaross today and jex or poor Frx calves weren't even getting a bid at a €5, marts a going to have to stop people bringing these poor quality of calves out to the mart. It a waste of time for the mart booking them in and bring them into the ring, plus 20 odd lots of these types of calves adds about half an hour to the length of the sales day.

You would have bought flaking friesian calves 25-40 days of age for 40-80 euro in Gortnalea and Castleisland today even a gpood 15 day old friesian at 20 euro is poor vale compared to them. Marts need to bring in a minimum weight of 60 kgs for Friesian calves

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭C4d78

Are there any Fr calves being exported this week. Hear of ferries being cancelled cause of strikes in France ?

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 29,086 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A lad down the country rang me today he was going to look at 4 week old Angus calves, 350 was the asking price. I said not a hope. The country is awash with Angus and whitehead calves at the minute. The seller was obviously looking at the top prices on whatever website and assumed his calves were worth this too

There is a big dairy farmer near me here, recently a bit of land the is between him & another dairy farmer went up for rent. 20 acres with €130 / acre entitlement for the successful renter. The big land took it at €12,500 a year €620 an acre. Its mostly Jex cows he has, He had 30 bull calves in the Mart this week all sub 35 kgs not a single bid for any of them. He was bullin given out to the Mart hadn't an agent there to buy them sort of stock. But in reality they were worth nothing as you could never get them into any sort of money. As one of the lads said he ll need more land if he is going to continue producing these type of cattle. Any one rearing calves has chanced them & quickly realised they are a sure way to turn you off calf rearing while making very little money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Slaughter of calves under eight weeks of age to banned next year under Bord Bia rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭alps

Not exactly..

If you send calves for slaughter, you wont get your Bord Bia accreditation...no milk collected.

However if you give them to Johnny beef man down the road, who is not BB accredited, then Johnny might make a few euros o the twist getting them to the slaughter house.

They are routing to the slaughter house via the mart this year...that's also a "way around" the clause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

110€ each for a mixed pen of AA,SPX and HE calves this evening

happy enough, we don’t have big cows and never get big prices for calves but it’s never hard move them which is good enough for me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,169 ✭✭✭Good loser

That's a stupid policy - virtue signalling. I rear/buy calves.

While alive those calves count for Nitrates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Reading in the journal, they will be looking at the herd of birth of all calves slaughtered under 8 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭alps

Apologies..stand corrected if that's the case..

Some diaries in the UK did much the same the farm of birth is responsible for calves until about three months in there case.

As well the farm of birth is responsible if calves are sold and die in large numbers on another farm.

With the proposal that calves cannot leave farm of birth until weaned it will improve the quality of the calf over time

Slava Ukrainii

One phrase that applies. Corporate Social Responsibility. Theses herds that are slaughtering calves have the potential to do untold damage to the Irish dairy image.

If beef farmers won't rear them, then these extreme crossbred herds will. The calf is the means to milk and is now a cost on the system. Back up a few hundred worthless bull calves on some dairy farms for a few years. This wont be long changing the attitude towards breeding.

If a dairy farmer wants to have an outlet for calves, he/she will have to breed what the market wants. Negative calf values are only around the corner. Beef farmers are willing to rear the right type of calf at the right money.

Post edited by mr.stonewall on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,365 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Problem moving calves around here this year. Not too many takers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Its sad state of affairs in the irish beef industry to think that it dosent pay to breed beef breeds .a fr bull /heifer combo delivers approx 250 +euro in calf value and easier to market whereas hereford/angus bull heifer combo is now 150 euro.by combo i mean a bull and heifer in a pair.

• Advertisement

The Friesian heifer carries the value I. The Friesian bull/ heifer combo. She is probably 450 in value. Most decent HE/ AA bull/heifer combo are above 200 euro( 400 for the pair)

Traditionally during the quota period dairy farmers kept calves to 3+ and often to beyond that to weanling, stores or even finish.

Now we have the situation where 80% of these calves are sold at 14-25 days and the trend would be younger except for a minimum mart age being brought in.

New rearer's have come on board but away less than the number of calves available. Add to that the export market through the UK is gone and the new one via the ferry to France is more variable.

Not only did Teagasc forget about the calves so did dairy farmers. This issue was pointed out 3-5 years ago on this forum.

If everyone dairy farmer breeds only friesians the Fr heifer prices will collapse as well

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement