Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is chatgpt going to ruin literally everything?

Options
  • 15-03-2023 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭

I mean what can't it do? What will be left for humans to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

It cant, so far as I know, mow my lawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭StevenToast

It cant do your mother....

Close thread...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭animalinside

Property maintainance - one of the greatest pleasures in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

It will utterly change things for sure. Think of what the internet has done to traditional shops, the likes of YouTube showing you how to do everything etc. Microsoft is pumping money into it, so certainly it is something they see having a commercial application.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Raoul

It may actually enhance everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭bish76

It gathers existing information and puts it into order. Human brain is already struggling to process information overload which will lead to information fatique. For instance, there was a time when people used to wait for new iphone launch and now ...... which number are we gain..... may be 14.

So ChatGPT might process faster information but that's pretty much it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I used it in my annual review - very helpful!

The academic world will need to change I think, less reliance on written submissions and more on tests?

I can see it's helpful and I can see why it might be worrying to some professions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,842 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I wasn't saying the same thing about the metaverse - I was saying the metaverse was all a hoax and a racket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Raoul

Same here. Chatgpt is an absolute game changer. I'm using it daily at work and I should probably sign up for the plus plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,429 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I do t think many people said the same thing about the metaverse bar meta employees, a few paid shils and the usual number of idiots.

ChatGPT and similar have far reaching implications that we aren't even aware of yet.

You would need to think long and hard about career choices if you are in your late teens or twenties. It's well possible the trades, manual labour and things that require a high level of human thought are best to aim for.

I can see endless applications for it, and a poster above mentioned academic exams becoming more of a necessity, but there’s the potential for those to be done via gpt. The colleges will put in blockers but the students will become hackers, and do on it goes. Gonna be fun here on in!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Indeed, it'll regurgitate whatever is written down. But it can't spout back what's not recorded and not capable of original thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Just like the Meta-verse, it'll be in decline before it even gets a foothold.

It offers no genuine added value to anything or anyone. Its merely a gimmick, a curiousity that shows computing is powerful. We knew that already.

Turing complete as the languages to program are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Likely more focused on intelligent answers that get to the point than on filler (until the models update of course :)).

The meta-verse may now be a more realistic goal with AI able to create content for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

It can be used to write college essays that are as good as most students, it takes its data from the web, but of course alot of the internet is wrong, out of date or sexist,racist facist so it needs to be edited or checked by human experts .theres new programs using ai that could replace many artists ,theres ai art that looks as good as human artists .

And of course theres misinformation fake news being put on the web by china and russia .

AI cant distinguish good or fake data from real information from trusted sources .

Voice artists could be replaced , apple is already using ai to read books aloud without using human voice actors .

theres programs that can copy anyones voice for book narration using a few hours of audio of the person speaking.

we could have new tv programs featuring the voice of anyone,eg orson welles , sean connery .

AI is not perfect, theres no ai that can drive a car safely in citys urban areas without the risk of accidents .

just look at reddit ai art ,i can imagine there,ll be gallerys full of ai art, the skill is a human giving it the right prompts.

if you go into an exam hall you wont be allowed to use a phone or bluetooth headset , they,ll just need more supervision.

i think the metaverse is about using vr apps ,not ai, most people have no wish to be going to zoom meetings or office work wearing a headset .

people still listen to the radio even though we have podcasts and the internet.people still buy cds even though we have streaming apps.

I think its too early to say what ai will be used for but it could be used to replace artists in some areas like designing 3d assets , for games ,making backgrounds in animated anime movies .

theres no sign of ai replacing drivers, people who work in shops, building sites ,bus drivers etc

• Registered Users Posts: 27,087 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I am reliably informed that it has zero ability to blast anything with any form of bodily fluids and thus will be unable to replace 90% of AH posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Yes I think we are all fucked. Corps will use it to make loads of people redundant and then said corps will buy up everyone's property. We are on the fast track towards dystopia

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah but sure who wants it?

No one is crying out for such a medium. The trend in the last couple of years is towards an ideal of disconnection, switch-off time, scheduled unavailability, working time moritoria and such. All of that is so sanity can be salvaged in some form, not further lost to an artificial reality.

In South Korea this week the Government had to u-turn from a policy to raise the maximum working week from 52 to 69 hours! Reason being corporations were saying they were missing deadlines. There was practically a revolt of younger workers and students about to enter the world of work, saying '**** you, change your deadlines if you don't like it'.

I'm not saying the metaverse project (and others like it) are entirely to enable integrated working and presenteeism, but lets face it, if it doesn't secure a large part of that for itself, then its a commercial failure immediately anyway.

Is it any wonder we see Meta group in convulsions and whispers of wholesale revisions of project goals and what not, they've failed at the first question, ie, who is this for and what is it solving for them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

While ChatGPT and other AI technologies have the potential to automate certain tasks and processes, there will still be many things that only humans can do. For example, humans have emotional intelligence, creativity, and critical thinking skills that are currently difficult for AI to replicate.

Additionally, there are many jobs and industries that require human interaction, such as healthcare, education, and social services. Even in fields where automation is becoming more prevalent, such as manufacturing and transportation, there will still be a need for human oversight, decision-making, and problem-solving.

In many cases, the integration of AI technologies like ChatGPT can actually enhance human abilities and make work easier, more efficient, and more effective. For example, ChatGPT could assist human writers, marketers, and customer service representatives by generating ideas or providing helpful suggestions, allowing them to focus on more creative and strategic tasks.

Overall, while AI technologies like ChatGPT will undoubtedly change the nature of work and the skills that are valued in the workforce, there will still be many important roles and tasks that only humans can perform.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭Jazz Hands

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I don’t think you’ve thought this business model through. How will the corporations make any money if everyone is unemployed and homeless?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭KilOit

If leaving school soon then learn a trade. forget about computers/ finance/ graphic design/ teaching

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

No, as an AI language model, I don't have the ability to ruin anything. I am a tool created to assist and provide information to those who interact with me. My actions and capabilities are limited to providing responses to questions and tasks given to me by users. It is up to the users and the individuals who utilize my responses to determine how they use the information and whether it has a positive or negative impact. Ultimately, it is the responsibility of humans to make ethical and responsible decisions in their actions and interactions.

It’s not going to take over. Large Companies also won’t be ditching their staff.

The chat gbt and others will collapse when it’s recognised that the information it’s providing infringes on copyright and patents.

Especially where licensed software code appears on the chatbot and people use it to build apps and sell them as there own software.

I don’t think “ I got the code from Chat GPT your honour” is going to hold up in court when you are being sued for billions on copyright and patent infringements.

Companies will also be concerned where their employees are using it.

You are also going to see the banning of using chat gpt and others in corporations when dumbass employees start typing confidential company specific information into it

That's like saying if you hire a consultant for something and the consultant tells you about something he learned in a book that it's copyright infringement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I just asked it to tell me a joke about Irish people, seeing as it's nearly St. Patrick's Day. Here's what I got:

Why do Irish people only put 239 beans in their soup?

Because one more would be too farty!

I wasn't expecting anything funny (missioned accomplished!) but I was sort of hoping for something inappropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

If you're writing a paper or an essay you could certainly ask it to do it and get a format,good ideas or chunks of text.

Advertisement