Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us - HBO *Spoilers* See warning in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,051 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ya I suppose we don't know how many cities had infection.

Thing is though where are these injured people coming from if not infected areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,389 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think with it being in the food supply at the outbreak, it would have been in every city, or at least cities with minimal infection rates would have shut down very quickly to minimise spread, and ultimately ended up similar to cities where there were higher rates of infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MOR316

There are no good guys in this IMO

Ellie, maybe...The rest? Nope.

Having said that, I'd do the same as Joel. It's shown in the game humanity is gone. There is no saving it, vaccine or not. It's become too divided. It's what ND done brilliantly in both games. It shows the selfish, nasty side of human beings and it leaves the player/viewer, not knowing what's right or wrong IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, that's the whole point. It is more obvious in the ga... source material (I said I wouldn't use the "G-Word" as I used it about 10 times in one post before). In the source material it is more obvious because it is less linear. As I said elsewhere, you can it times sneak around characters instead of barrelling in and you hear these "bad guys" simply about mundane human stuff. Even fearing that this lunatic and his girl would come in and kill them. Then comes the section with David and you go all Jules from Pulp Fiction with Fuuuuuurious anger and shoot up the place. Killing as many as you can. But it cuts then to Ellie and David and that is SO tense as you play as Ellie.

Then come the giraffes. It's a beautiful decompress scene which would have caused nerd-riots if it wasn't in the series 😀. This is very much the deep breath before the plunge.

So by the middle parts of the game, you were seeing the world just as people trying to survive and many (myself included) often spent much time trying to AVOID squaring up against humans because of said dialogue.

Then David and the rage rises :)

Then you have the final section (Quite short as in the show) and you start running around killing everyone. In the source, you have no choice: It's either do that or the story does not progress. And as you are doing this you are thinking 1: They got Ellie. 2: Wait, these are the good guys. They are trying to save the world. 3: This is what Ellie would want!. And then that gut punch with the lie. Especially as you suspect that she knows it's a lie. And it's telling that this episode, bar the opening sequence was probably the closest to the source.

So no, Joel is not "The good guy". This is something that is expanded upon greatly in the sequel.

I can absolutely understand (And expected) the mixed reaction to the series. Players have being waiting for this for years and it was translated brilliantly (IMHO). But, yeah, I can understand if many were underwhelmed. As previously, it didn't bring anything NEW to the genre bar excellent writing, production values and performances. I personally thought it was very good. But then I loved the source. I thought the additions to the series were fantastic (The couple in the cabin, The flashbacks, Bill & Frank, Ellie's birth) and the nods to the source were great without being too on-the-nose (Ellie's mother, David's right-hand-man, Melanie's right-hand-man, Marlene all played by actors from the source. Marlene herself played by the same actor).

TLDR: Joel is not the good guy. I liked the show but can understand people's apathy if they haven't played the source.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,019 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I liked Bella Ramsey. Thought she and Pascal were fantastic. I did like the girl who played Sarah too alright but "fans" (Not real fans. Just perma-outraged) were already freaking out because in the source she was white and blonde... They would have Lost... their... SH*T 😀

• Advertisement

Yeah a huge part of the discourse after the first game released was centered around whether or not Joel is a good guy (considering that his actions take place in a very different world than ours) and whether or not he did the right thing (bearing in mind that even if the Fireflies could make a vaccine, is the world too far gone, and would they ever be able to administer the vaccine to such a degree etc).

Ultimately, Joel made a selfish choice. He made the choice that was best for him, and even though it means Ellie survives doesn't mean it was what she would have wanted. He made a decision that wasn't really his to make. But he also made it without really thinking about the consequences or weighing up the results/effects, he acted purely on instinct in saving Ellie. It wasn't a rational decision. Where he really failed imo, is lying to Ellie at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

It's weird how close that was to the game and yet still felt to be missing something. And really, as much as I like him, I do think it's Pedro vs Troy for me.

I felt Pedro was too abruptly talkative in this episode. He was an absolute chatterbox, and I know it was probably to help put Ellie at ease following her incident with David in the previous episode, but it felt really dialed up.

And it made it weirder once he tells his lie. If he'd been more subdued at the episode start, and then was so talkative at the episode end, it would have been a giveaway to Ellie that something was up, and maybe he was lying.

Great to see Ashley Johnson in the ep. Not the most difficult birth, all things considered, but I'll forgive that.

All in all, a good season. Far from perfect. Rushed and dragged in one or two of the wrong places (namely Ep 7 & 8) leading to an overly compact finale. 10 eps could have made it all the sweeter.

The other half was really impressed with the morally ambiguous ending, thought it odd how a computer game could "end" without a typical Happy Hollywood finale. But she was also cursing the Fireflies for diving straight into surgery and not telling Ellie what they're plans were. All could have been avoided. Ellie would have volunteered even if she knew what it meant. Although while she believes Joel might have accepted Ellie's chosen sacrifice, I'm not so sure. Joel isn't a hero, he's lost a lot and doesn't want to lose any one, any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭ULMarc

She didn't consider she'd lose her life. So it's uncertain how she'd have felt about that. Maybe even the Ellie at the beginning of the story might have chosen different to the Ellie at the end of the story. She lays it out for us that she thinks it's the right thing to do following the loss of Riley, Tess, and Sam. But she doesn't know the whole story.

Although. I suppose Ellie questions Joel at the end. So I guess we can't really rule out that she hadn't considered that.

I think in the end. I would have felt it hard to allow Ellie to die if I were Joel. And I think that empathic feeling is what's important. Regardless of what would happen.

One thing in Joel's favour is that the doctors science sounded a bit wishy washy (obviously it all is) but cutting her brain open to harvest fungus didn't sound like it was plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,282 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The problem here is that Ellie didn't get a choice, and that one fact undercuts any point trying to be made about Joel.

You say it wasn't his decision to make. Sure, it should have been Ellie's decision, but the only way Ellie actually gets any input into that decision is for Joel to first do what he did. If he doesn't then she gets murdered without any knowledge of what was really going on.

The show made it clear multiple times that Ellie did not go there to die, she talked many times about what they would do "after", so taking away her agency really undercuts any theme about Joel making choices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Evade

I think Druckmann has said in interviews that for the purposes of the story, it would have been successful and they could have made a vaccine. I know the science behind that is, as you say, wishy washy, and I've seen people online saying there's never been a vaccine for a fungal infection before, let alone one which ravaged the world like cordyceps and 20 years down the line with less medical facilities, knowledge etc. But, for the purposes of the story, the vaccine could have been made.

Joel wouldn't know if it was possible or not. He kind of has to just take it at face value that it would. He would have made the same decision either way.

Something I think is interesting that the show did is show why Ellie is immune, and why it's likely she's literally the only one in the world who is. I always wondered in terms of the games if it was possible that many people were immune, but had never been bitten or infected like Ellie was and therefore didn't know they were immune.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Why didn't the doctor (Jerry) step to the side when Joel came in? Did he think that scalpel would make Joel turn around and go home? Jerry's actions indicate he was not of sound mind , a bit crazy actually. A man who will go to extremes to get what he wants no matter the consequences. It was obviously not the right choice to leave him have his way with Ellie's life. And at the end of the day , as long as Ellie is alive , so is the potential for a cure/vaccine.

For sure. Marlene & the Fireflies are to blame in many respects for not even giving Ellie the choice, or even a chance to say goodbye to Joel. That itself led to Joel making the choice he made.

But Joel also made that choice. The Fireflies didn't give Ellie a choice, and neither did Joel. But the Fireflies were doing it for larger, unselfish reasons. Marlene had a deep personal connection to Ellie through her mother, but still ordered the doctor to proceed because it was for a vaccine. Joel made his decision for more selfish reasons. It wasn't just to save Ellie's life, but for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,856 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

overall a competent show, but I dont think I'd ever re-watch it again, the characters arent that interesting, for me a top tier show is when you get a little bump when the leads appear again in a new scene. This show its more looking forward to the next settlement/city to see what its like.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

While I've really enjoyed the rest of the series I think that last fell flat. The pacing just felt wrong, sluggish but also rushing through, like someone sleepwalking on an escalator. Also the shootout scene just didn't work imho, I know they were going for a detached/old-school 'bad' Joel but the mood and flow just didn't gel. It just had Plot-Armour written all over it so there was no real tension at all, at the same time not enough focus on Joel himself to make that side impactful (even after an overdone attempt at the start to set him up as now super-cuddly to artificially expand that emotional dynamic range for later). On a side note it looked like Bella had gained weight since the previous, not a criticism of that in itself but it makes me think there was a fair amount of time between that and the other episodes, like they took a break. It might explain the uncharacteristic mis-steps.

That said it was great seeing Ashley get a prominent role and she played it very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,523 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Ultimately unrewarding show.

Never sustained any real emotional connection with the central characters. I didn't care about anybody in it and wouldn't be bothered with a second series. Never played the game and don't see why it was neccesary to do that.

When you are wondering how long the torch batteries will last you know it's time to hit the off button on the remote. 4/10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Cordell

At this point she was his daughter and I don't know about others but me, given a choice, I would rather have the world burn than let anyone save it by killing my child.

But again, its problematic to say that Joel didn't give Ellie a choice.

Because in fact he did the only thing that would give her a choice. Do anything else and she dies without ever fully knowing what happened.

And that's the point. Just because we can see why he did what he did, or even agree with why he did it and think we'd do the same thing, doesn't mean it was the right choice. The right choice for him, sure. The right choice as a whole? Debatable.

Like I said though, where Joel's ultimate failure comes is lying to Ellie at the end. She asks him to swear that everything he said about Marlene and the Fireflies was true, showing him that she already doubts what he said. And he lies to her. Again, we know why, and may have done the same thing, but it doesn't mean it was the right choice.

And there's where the ambiguity and discourse around whether or not Joel is a good guy or a bad guy, or if he did the right or wrong thing comes from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭Cordell

I think it's pretty clear Joel is neither good nor bad, he's just a survivor doing what he must.

I think Druckmann has said in interviews that for the purposes of the story, it would have been successful and they could have made a vaccine.

Then he should have put that on the screen, any story that needs supplementary reading is a failure.

To be honest I don't know why he didn't, it would have taken 2 lines of dialogue and would easily have framed the scenario the way they clearly wanted. When Marlene is talking to Joel, instead of wishy washy mumbo jumbo she instead says something like:

The doctor has been working on this for years, he needed to see an immune person to be sure but now that he has, this could work Joel, it could really work!

I'm obviously no scriptwriter but it seems they could have focused the choices to be made a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,131 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

On the Doctor - Wait for Season 2 (presuming it follows the second game as closely). While not a fan of the sequel it does explain this reaction better, and likely why it was more extreme to set this up than what I remember from the first game.

It's not wishy washy mumbo jumbo (I mean, in real life it is, but in the context of the show it isn't), she outright explains why Ellie is immune and how the doctor is going to make a vaccine. She explains Ellie has been infected and immune since birth, the cordyceps in her releases a chemical messenger which makes it think she's cordyceps, and the doctor is going to remove and use that cordyceps to reproduce the chemical messenger which they can use to create a cure.

Again, mumbo jumbo sci-fi explanation, but for the purposes of the show there's no way that Joel could know whether or not it would work. He's not a doctor or scientist. It doesn't matter to him whether or not it would work, because he'd make the same choice regardless.

It seemed pretty clear to me that Marlene isn't herself sure it will work. The doctor has no way of knowing if he can extract, reproduce or inject the chemical.

But the problem is that what Marlene says is clearly ridiculous in universe, and Joel was quite right to be sceptical of it.

Why? Because if you had an immune person who is creating a chemical messenger, the last goddamn thing you want to do is kill that person, especially not mere hours after first getting a look at her.

What if she dies in your ill equipped hospital before you extract the messenger? What if your theory doesn't work? What if it nearly works but you run out of samples before fine tuning the process?

Somebody tells me that they are going to kill the only immune person in the world mere hours after finding her and I immediately think they are a **** idiot who shouldn't be allowed a rubber scalpel. This was a scenario that absolutely needed to avoid medical mumbo jumbo and just focus on the certainty or belief that the experts knew exactly what they were up to. Any jargon could only ever take away from that certainty.

Honestly, I have no interest in a season 2. After a strong first half of the season there was a real dip in quality and really harmed my opinion of the show overall. I watched the last few episodes just to see it out but they annoyed me more than entertained me.

I also read a plot summary of the 2nd game just yesterday and it killed any interest I might have had stone dead. Such a mess of a plot. Even then, if I was going to experience it I think I would just play the game, because it is clear now that that is what I should have done for the first season.

Do you think if it was made absolutely crystal clear to Joel that the vaccine would definitely, 100% work, that it would have made any difference to Joel or changed his decision?

The point is that it would have given him a decision to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Off the bat, I loved it. I loved the series as a whole. I really felt for Ellie's mum after seeing the bite. Imagine, getting that far, 9 months of pregnancy in THAT universe (best of luck with any cravings you get!) and then to fall just at the finish line. Heartbreaking stuff.

I really liked the attention to detail that she hadn't fed Ellie yet as she was afraid she'd infect her. That was a nice touch.

As a non game player, the bit with the giraffes threw me. Were they looking at a zoo? I actually thought they might have got attacked by a wild animal like a lion or a tiger 🙈

Anyway, I thought they did a great job. I loved the pacing, but it goes to show you can't please all the people all the time because if that was TWD, there would have been enough there to drag it out for at least 4 seasons 😂

One last thing, why the hell didn't Marlene let him say goodbye to Ellie? She could have handcuffed him/tied his hands together, brought him to the room to look at the operation threw the window. It was very stupid to have their story potentially finish like that. From reading above, it sounds like what happened in the game as well.

Advertisement