Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I didn't get this far to get this far.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bluesquare

Thanks K - today I feel like a need a break - but Mondays not my best day . I will pack the runners and hope I get a chance to run over the weekend . I’ll be trapped for 48 hours with non runners and no running - a nightmare 😜. If we go for a walk I’ll make a break for it !

8th Week of half training 

Week Beginning 21st of February 

This week was a bit of a down week as all running was squashed into 3 days to accommodate a weekend of debauchery ( it was was wild I tell you ). I also had no chance to do any strength stuff because quite frankly I was wrecked from not sleeping too well and well I was busy !

Monday: Rest - sure needed this

Tuesday : The big one …. Again . 8k HMP with 3k warm up and 2k cool down . 

My running partner really wanted to do last weeks session again as she wanted to perfect pacing or some such thing . I wasn’t keen but I’m easily strong armed. We decided to make a call at 4k and take an interval if we felt it was needed. At 4k we felt comfortable, same at 5k and 6k so we just did the 8k. I was pleasantly surprised I was able for it ( tired and achey) - and it felt better than last week. The first 6k was comfortably hard , last two k not exactly comfortable.

Hmp paces (5:06,5:05,5:05,5:06,5:08,5:07,5:07, 5:07) . Obviously still a bit fast - she can beep off if we are doing that again !

Feet were not great in the Vapor’s - right foot numb from about 4k and foot felt squashed and beaten by 13k. I am a bit concerned about wearing them for 21k and a bit concerned if I don’t wear them . I know they are fast and possibly could assist me to a glorious pb but I like my comfort. Eek

Wednesday: rest

Thursday : 12k@ 5:56 easy/mod with 4 *100m strides. This run felt glorious - well maybe effortless is a better description . Zooming up hills chatting with incredibly low heartrate is just dinky !

Shoes=speeds 

Friday : 20k . No dinky this time . I had no real plan for this run - other than I just needed it done . I took the morning off work so I could tick the box ( the addiction is strong ) . At this stage middle age hormones had gifted me with approx 12 hours of sleep over 3 nights so I was a bit dozy. I set off with no real pace plan listening to “ the long run “ podcast . First tenk laps were all over the place. It felt hard despite low heart rate probably because I was sleeping on my feet. At about 11k the caffeine gel kicked in and I picked up the pace a bit - managed to get a nice fast finish ( 1k at 5 min Km) . Entire pace of run 6:05 .

Wore my patched up speeds - I like ‘em.

Saturday : rest ( well no exercise anyway )

Sunday :rest

total miles: 27

For the record HMP was probably threshold back in December or even faster . I am stoked that this is now a comfortably hard pace . I’m still not sure on my chances of a half pb but I haven’t been this fit since dcm 2019 . I would feel very confident if it was a 10k.

My plan is to go out slow for first 5k then hit planned pace and hold on for dear life . If it’s a windy day I may go with a pace group to get some protection from the wind .

Hopefully I sort my sleep out this week .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Is your race next week? Best of luck with it.

Thanks ! No it’s in two weeks . Just planning ahead ! On the 11th I think .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭ariana`

It's a great feeling when the fitness comes back!! I wouldn't worry about the PB, race the best race you can on the day and the rest will take care of itself 😉

Nearly time to taper!

• Advertisement

9th Week of half training 

Week Beginning 28th of February 

Monday: strength training

Tuesday :13k - 4k wu with 4*1k 10k pace and 1k hmp

Rightly or wrongly 10k pace got an upgrade to 4:50 . After years of 5:00 it’s moving on !

The 10k pace was into an almighty wind so was particularly unpleasant . The two min recoveries were also into the wind . My chest took a right beating and I was panicking slightly on the last one that I wouldn’t be able to do the hmp lap . So much for staying in the Mile I am in . On the last one we turned the corner for the last 300m and it was like a break with no wind . Rested then for a Km and did hmp which thankfully felt a little more pleasant . I was still glad to be done . Stupid wind .

Wednesday: strength . did some weighted leg work and the runners stretch app. Roll on 3 days of doms.

Thursday : 12k@ 6:06 easy/mod with 4 *100m strides. Always my favourite run of the week - it always feels quite effortless . This week I had an awakening on the last stride - my legs just started gliding and I felt bloody fast - not sure I have ever run that fast but it felt glorious . It only lasted about 20m but I whopped. My mate looked quite startled . She hadn’t noticed my wings ! Anyways great run .

Shoes=speeds 

Friday: strength upper body

Saturday : 16k easy . Nice chatty run .

Sunday :8k recovery

total miles: 31

Week Beginning 6th of March - 10th week / taper

Monday : nada

Tuesday: 10.5k with 2*1k @ hmp with 2*200m

hmp felt good and we actually chatted for it so even though I still can’t imagine 21k at the pace being able to chat whilst doing it is epic .

I will do 10k easy with strides Thursday . Contemplating doing a shakeout 3k Saturday - I have never did this before a race so exciting stuff .

I am dreading the race and at the same time excited to do . I think I’m fit going into it but I need to control the controller - hopefully I have learned some lessons this training cycle . Fingers crossed for a bit of luck on the bloody wind .

Exciting times R. Hopefully the day will be glorious (for running) and you will be able to put all the great training into practise! I'll be rooting for you, best of luck x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

I like to do a shakeout the day before a race but everyone is different. I too am praying that the wind is not too bad, fingers crossed it's a good racing day. Nice training block, hope you have a really good race on the day, best of luck😊

Thanks - best of luck to you as well . Here’s hoping for a dinger of a day !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Best of luck at the weekend, solid training put in! Hope the day goes well for you

Best of luck at the weekend. Looking forward to hearing how you get on.

The lead up to the race wasn’t spectacular . I had me some dodgy cheesecake which resulted in my last run before the race being miserable. My stomach was in bits on Friday and Saturday and I was panicking . No support from the other half who just rolled his eyes and said don’t do the race

Bohermeen Half Marathon 2023

I struggled to get breakfast into me, but did eat a good bit of porridge . Stomach was still not 100% but much better . My major concern now was the alleged wind . ( the weather type ). When we got there - it seemed like there was a decent headwind so we made a decision to join the sub 1:50 pace group . My fate was sealed .

There were two sub 1:50 pacers . One started way ahead of the other which was a little odd. We followed the second guy . He was amazing . My race kind of feels like cheating now as it’s amazing how relaxing it is not to be constantly worrying about pace .

The first 2 mile sailed by - wind at our backs. ( 8:17,8:23) The pace felt handy enough. The pacer wasn’t running at an even pace but was adjusting to the terrain and the wind . When we hit the incline part with the headwind - he told us all to tuck in behind him and he slowed down slightly for the worst of it . Which was hugely beneficial as I’m sure would have been killing myself trying to stick to hmp. ( miles 2-5 , 8:21,8:15,8:24). I took a caffeine Maurten gel at 7k ( all stomach issues miraculously gone ). I did have one issue from about 3 miles - my feet were killing me - the right one felt numb and cramped . Stupid Vaporflys .

At about 7 mile I was still feeling hunky dory - and started chatting a bit with the pacer ( which was bizarre - those chatty people in races wreck my head ) . He had just ran the 400m in the masters nationals the day before and people were shouting congrats at him as we ran by. My running mate was giving me the beady eye for talking and eventually even the pacer said save your engine come back for chats at 11 mile if you still have any breadth . So I tucked back in behind and shut up . The second loop of the course the hills seemed a bit hillier but I still didn’t feel like I was working particularly hard compared to training . ( it wasn’t easy mind but felt more like a steady MP run) . I did have a few panicked moments when I thought the pace was a bit slow for a sub 1:50 as we clocked some high km but then realised the pacer was pacing in miles so we were good .

My mate said at about 8 mile that at ten mile we are moving on . Even though I was comfortable at this pointI didn’t like the sound of this - I just couldn’t mess up my sub 1:50 again .

6-8 mile paces ( 8:18,8:21,8;15)

At mile 9 it started to feel more like a race - I was now working hard. I took my second gel and just stayed behind the pacer - getting bounced by the ballon every now and again . There was only about 5 people in the pace group now - I think we had lost some and some had moved on . At mile ten we hit 123:40 which I loved as this meant I had a ten mile pb in the bag . I knew then I was getting a half pb . My right foot was squashed and very uncomfortable but manageable.

9-10 mile paces (8:29, 8:20)

My mate went ahead of the pacer - urging me to follow . I was too chicken (cautious) and was now working hard . She caught the second pacer who seemed to have lost his whole group ( burnt them off ) and passed him . My moment arrived for my wobbly . My legs felt sore and heavy and I slowed for about 5 secs . Then I rallied - i was like this is it this is the moment you trained for you big gobshite. You have ran through this a million times in training just suck it up . So I embraced the suck . The pace of the group seem to pick up then with the pacer was saying “have I got everyone let’s bring this thing home” . At some stage I motored past the group but in my mind I thought I was slowing. It felt hard , I just wanted it done .On the last stretch I turned the corner to do the last bit on the track and saw the clock still was sub 1:50 . Couldn’t believe it . There were tears .

11-13.1 paces : 8:14,8:11,8:09 and 7:32

Finish: 1:49:11

My mate finished 30 secs ahead . Bloody delighted . Probably a soft race . I don’t care . That time was a long time coming and I wasn’t not getting it .I had a great race - apart from that 5 secs . Bring it on !

My mate wasn’t happy , she had a new pb but she thinks we didn’t suffer enough . I suffered too much in other half’s to care that this one was nice . The pacer made a huge difference , cut out the stress and he knew the course well enough to pace accordingly .

There is a lot to be said about having your hormones back. I could trust my training and wasn’t subject to random energy drains , over heating or whatever other problems lack of estrogen brings ! My big lesson learned though yesterday was that i think I was underfuelled . I think next half I would take a gel before starting and 3 gels on course. Also I am never wearing the Vapor’s past 10k again . I need me some endorphin pros . Not sure the value they brought only to distract me from thinking about the run .

Today I’m sore and stiff - hello Vaporflys - were are my fresh legs ?

I didn’t need all my new mental tricks - there will be other sufferfests ahead I’m sure .

Great race , great course . 5th time lucky . ( 4 times running , 5th time sprained ankle a week before the race )

Post edited by Bluesquare on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great report & race, well done on your PB, hope you're still buzzing😊

You too ! Yes I’m still buzzing I’d say you are as well!! Can’t say I’ve did a lot of work today .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Congrats on your PB. Great pace on those last 3 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

That's a great confidence inspiring run...feed off it for the rest of the year. Well done

Brilliant running and so glad you enjoyed it. You are well set up for more PBs this year now. Great going.

Thanks Guys . I’m definitely more confident now in my running than I have been in a long time . My plan is to keep the mileage steady until June but to increase strength training . Meeting my new PT in the gym tomorrow for our first session. ! All research and advice points towards this for women of a certain age . I now know what I want so it’s a good time to fit this in to my schedule .

I have signed up for a two 10ks in April and am looking forward to them as I think I can pb now at 10k without having to add any more mileage . My pb is 49 35 so I am hoping to knock a minute off that . Mac Millan has me at 48:58 after yesterday - but the new me refuses to accept that 🤣.

In June I’ll decide then if I will do DCM. I should have a 25-30 Mile base and decent strength work done to the start sub 4 assault .

I was looking forward to reading your report R. Really well done! Nothing wrong with taking the conservative approach like you did, I think you needed the confidence boost of finishing strong more than you needed to flog yourself 😅

I really love the confidence this has given you and as @skyblue46 said you are now in a super position to feed off it for the rest of the year - it's gonna be a good one!

Good luck with the new PT, hope that works out well. Let us know how it goes! I started the gym myself about 5 months ago and haven't looked back. I've had to reduce mileage to fit it all in but it's worth it.

• Advertisement

Thanks @ariana` . I have been doing bits of strength but all evidence is leading me to the gym and some heavier weights . I have a terrible track record with gyms ( not going ) so thought a PT was the way to go for a month or two . Glad to hear you’re liking it - you have done some smashing races in that time as well so here’s hoping !!

I had a shocking track record with gyms and classes too. I've joined a fair few over the years as a younger person trying to get in shape and again in more recent years as a runner trying to injury proof but I've never stuck it as long or gone as consistently each week. I love the one I am in currently and have no issue motivating myself to go. It's funny but I don't even think of it in relation to running, though if it helps that it's a bonus, I'm more concerned about aging. I'm going for a Dexa scan next week to get a baseline for the future (my Mum has osteoporosis to the point where her hip crumbled with the simplest fall at the age of 54) but I feel I am already making a difference in preventing bone/muscle loss.

Thanks - same here with the ageing - I just want to make sure if I live long and prosper I can do so in the best of health. You’re dead right going for a scan - your poor Mum . Every single article i pick up - whether it’s on running or general health it’s there so i bit the bullet . The best thing though was the look on the trainers face when I said I had no interest in weight loss or measurements I just wanted to be strong ! Then I felt a bit sorry for her and said maybe a few pounds then for holidays , she seemed to relax then ! This is a first for me as normally it’s all about weight . I shocked myself don’t mind her !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great run there R, well deserved after the recent training - enjoyable read too!

I love this. Exactly where I am too - after spending since the age of 12/13 worrying about my weight until a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,693 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Soft race my eye - well done on a great performance. Seems like the pacer helped take some of the mental burden out of things, but you and your legs ran the race. Well done - great to see.

Cheers - I think I just hadn’t really raced in a while so I expected more blood and tears . My legs are in a right mess now lol so I’m officially retracting my soft comment .

I haven’t been up to much since the half apart from living it up like a king . I’m quite convinced I have gout….

Week Beginning 13/03

26k easy ( 4 runs ) .

1 strength session with PT

Week Beginning 20/03

Monday : rest

Tuesday: planned session: 6*1k 10k pace with 2 min Rec

This did not go as planned . The wind was mighty. First repeat was into the wind , I really struggled to get the pace and my breathing was strained . Second km was out of the wind - hit the pace but heart rate was through the roof . Third km I got half way through and just decided I had had enough - the effort was too much for the pace . Instead of slowing slightly I just slowed completely . To be fair my heart rate never went back down and running slow was a mighty effort .

Wrote off as a bad day but the stupid man in the head not entirely happy with that. Logically it makes sense it was crap you know because of the gout and probably not fully recovered from the half. It is worth noting at this point though that allergy season is upon us and traditionally not a great time of year for the old allergy driven asthma . So we will see.

Wednesday : strength session

Thursday : 8 mile moderate with strides ( 5:55 mink)

Friday: Strength session with PT

Saturday : 10 mile easy (6:08mink)

Sunday : 5 mile easy (6:20 min Km). A bit of running advice : Don’t have a giant carvery lunch and run even 2/3 hours later . 🤢

30 miles all in .

A really bad week of zero running. Well one 13k on Tuesday which was awful .

Asthma and allergies doing their annual parade for attention “hey you have forgotten about us “ ,“ so we are going to stomp all over your lovely pb plans “ . So I was very short of breath all week , so went to doc and have as suspected a chest infection . Did nothing as decided rest was best like well apart from stuff my face . Dunno if I was looking for excuse to be lazy - I’m sure I could have run ( I have ran feeling worse). Those who can’t run buy runners - and holidays 🤪 . Not running is more expensive than running .

• Advertisement

Oh i hope you feel better soon, can you take anything for the allergies? How did the PT/gym go?

Advertisement